Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #1
Kesendeja

Default Absolute Pitch = Costs how much

I have a player that wants to take Absolute pitch (also known as Perfect Pitch), and I'm having to create it. Given what it does I'm having a bit of a problem balancing the cost in relation to Relative Pitch which does much the same thing, but requires a reference tone.

By the wiki entry:
Absolute pitch implies some or all of the following abilities, achieved without a reference tone:
• Identify by name individual pitches (e.g. F♯, A, G, C) played on various instruments.
• Name the key of a given piece of tonal music.
• Reproduce a piece of tonal music in the correct key days after hearing it.
• Identify and name all the tones of a given chord or other tonal mass.
• Accurately sing a named pitch.
• Name the pitches of common everyday sounds such as car horns, phone keys and alarms.
• Detect subtle changes in vocal tones.
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #2
mr beer

Default Re: Absolute Pitch = Costs how much

Buy it as a Talent for Musical skills? The stuff about identifying pieces of music and tonal changes is a Perk IMO.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
whswhs

It's in GURPS Powers: Enhanced Senses, on p. 31. It's a 1-point perk.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I know someone who has it. He is a musician, as a hobby. It isn't all that useful.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Also The Madness Dossier, where I think it was the first appearance.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-10-2018 at 12:57 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:42 AM   #6
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I know someone who has it. He is a musician, as a hobby. It isn't all that useful.
Obviously you haven't read Anne McCaffrey's "The Crystal Singer": https://www.fantasticfiction.com/m/a...tal-singer.htm

Also: No, it propably isn't too useful.

Same goes for the reverse: Tone deafness and awful singing abilities shouldn't yield high disadvantage values. Unless combined with Delusion (I am a great singer) once talent shows for nation tv is a thing ;)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:46 AM   #7
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
Same goes for the reverse: Tone deafness and awful singing abilities shouldn't yield high disadvantage values. Unless combined with Delusion (I am a great singer) once talent shows for nation tv is a thing ;)
3 words : Florence Foster Jenkins
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:26 AM   #8
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
Obviously you haven't read Anne McCaffrey's "The Crystal Singer"
The open secret of GURPS is that it's not really (and can't be) "Universal" with a fixed ability CP cost list. Every ability has some setting where it's a waste of points at the book value and no one would ever buy it, and some other one where it's vital and horribly undervalued at that same price, so every character must have it. Constructing pathological examples is practically a hobby in some forum threads.

I'd agree that perfect pitch is a Perk, outside of those particular games where music is a vital core interest. Might also throw it in for free with any level of Musical Ability (Talent). Relative Pitch might belong to anyone with Singing or a Musical Instrument at 12+. Most musicians can and do train it. Feel free to demand skill rolls to identify particular chords or intervals when that comes up :)

(For that matter, there's an ongoing argument about whether you can train perfect pitch or not. IMO, it's just a memory quirk, being really good at remembering pitches, the way some people at really good at remembering exact shades of color, or smells or tastes, or faces instead of names or vice-versa. With enough training, even a poorer natural memory can do the same job, while there are lucky folks that don't have to work at it. But regardless of whether it's trainable, in GURPS terms it'd still be a 1-point Perk, either because it's not as demanding as a full skill, or it's a 1-point Perk because it's a tiny Advantage.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:20 AM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Now, if it IS worth a whole bunch in a specific campaign because of magic or something, that's an unusual background.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #10
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Now, if it IS worth a whole bunch in a specific campaign because of magic or something, that's an unusual background.
Or more likely, entirely separate advantages that have nothing to do with "perfect pitch" you ought to be charging for separately. That's certainly case for most fiction it appears in, the actual ability to remember pitches isn't the thing that's worthwhile, it's the fact nobody (relevant to the story anyway) has it unless they *also* have some ungodly number of levels of Musical Talent.

My oscilloscope has "perfect pitch" in that it's got a quite adequate (if sometimes a bit hard to use) frequency readout function on it. It doesn't have any demonstrable musical ability.

Last edited by malloyd; 01-10-2018 at 01:20 PM.
malloyd is online now   Reply With Quote