Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2015, 02:42 AM   #1
Dragnrage

Default Equipment Modifiers + advantages

I don't know if this is listed anywhere else and I'm just missing it or not.

I'm decently new to gurps and want to add Damage Resistance (Hardened 20%) to a piece of armor that doesn't have it, is there a place where cost from advantages is translated into cost for equipment? if so can you please tell me which book to begin looking at Thanks
Dragnrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:31 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Equipment Modifiers + advantages

You want some enchantments from Magic.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:43 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

To expand that a bit, there are two ways to buy equipment in GURPS.

The first is the stuff that is mundanely available in the setting. That's the "realistic" option, constrained by cost and the available technology. If the setting includes magical enchantment that's available for money (usually lots of money), then that's a "technology".

The second is buying abilities with character points that are rationalised as equipment. Character points are a metagame idea and don't correspond to anything real. This is fine for superpowers and the like, but is not "realistic" - there's no way to go out and buy better armour in the real world with character points: you need to use money.

This means that there isn't a general exchange rate between character points and GURPS$. Specific rules may have exchange rates, but trying to generalise them doesn't tend to work well.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
Bruno

Actually, I think you could maybe apply the rules from Power-Ups: Enhancements here - the ones about enhancing weapons and so forth.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
Dragnrage

Thanks. I was looking at energy cloth and wanted it to have some usefulness for Jedi against force swords with armor divisor of 5 but without magic and hardened was the only thing I could find that would lower some of the armor divisor
Old 07-19-2015, 03:55 PM   #6
Kalzazz

Theres no 'Hardened' enchantment in Magic
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #7
Dragnrage

Guess I missed quite a few comma's there. here I'll try this again.

I was looking at the Energy Cloth in the Ultra Tech book, DR 30.
However it's usefullness for jedi against force swords with a armor divisor of 5 leaves it with just DR 6 vs. a 8D weapon.

I was wondering if there was a way of adding something like, Damage Resistance (Hardened +20% per level)from Characters, to the Energy Cloth without using magic.

Almost like a reverse conversion of 1 pt = $$$, but instead +20% of an Advantage modifier = $$

Hope that might clear things up alittle
Old 07-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #8
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnrage View Post
I was wondering if there was a way of adding something like, Damage Resistance (Hardened +20% per level)from Characters, to the Energy Cloth without using magic.
Not as a general-purpose rule. To buy it with money, ask your GM if something like that is available.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:30 PM   #9
Kalzazz

Blaster pistols and such also knock clean through energy cloth armor . . . . they do less per hit, but have ROF 3 and Rcl 1 and can hit at range, also AD 5
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:43 PM   #10
starslayer

By RAW (Rules As Written) there is no way to do this.

However

GURPS supers has rules for taking 'off the shelf' equipment and adding advantages to it via Ally (Basically you figure out the point cost of the purchased peice of equipment, and then only pay for the upgrades from that with the ally's point pool, the base cost for the ally is paid for as signature gear or signature asset <Thanks again Kal>). This is intended for building things like Kit from Knight Rider (It's a stock camero, with an AI, and lasers, and rocket boosters, and armour, and ...)

GURPS Powers has rules for taking 'free' advantages (like your basic ST 10) and adding enhancements to that (like +300% cosmic ignores DR on all your punches).

One of the GURPS Pyramid supplements has metatronic generators which turn cash into points for devices <Tech and toys 3 - Thanks Kal>.

All three of those together, if allowed by your GM, should allow someone with Gadgeteer 2 to with some effort and significant funds add enhancements to armour.

Last edited by starslayer; 07-19-2015 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Multiple corrections from Kal
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote