Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
rjbri

Default Rick and Morty (Portal gun and others) Question

For the Portal Gun and other pieces of equipment it states: "Portal Gun can be discard to turn any one monster onto a level one snake worth 1 treasure, 1 level and no bad stuff, but can’t be used to gain the winning level." Can I play this card against an opponent (lvl9) in combat to replace their creature, allowing them to get the treasure, but preventing them from getting the winning level once they defeat the creature. My opponent argues that the last statement infers that I would not be able to make the move legally. Can I make the move as I intended?
rjbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Rick and Morty (Portal gun and others) Question

You cannot use Portal Gun in a fight for the winning level.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #3
rjbri

I don't think I was clear. The card is actually Particle Beam Wristwatch but a few pieces of equipment have this ability.
The text says:
"You may discard this card to turn any monster into a level 1 snake worth 1 level, one Treasure and no Bad Stuff. Cannot be used to gain the winning level."
My opponent is lvl9 and that opponent is fighting a lvl 12 creature. If my opponent wins the combat they will go up a level for defeating the creature and win the game.
I want to discard this piece of equipment during their combat to change the lvl 12 creature my opponent is fighting into a level 1 snake.
I have no problem with my opponent beating the snake and getting a treasure, the hang up is the language "Cannot be used to gain the winning level".
My argument is that the creatures are swapped, the opponent beats the snake, gets a treasure, but the level becomes meaningless to them because they cannot advance to level 10 and win.
My opponent's argument is that I cannot make the move at all because it says "Cannot be used to gain the winning level." and because they are about to get the winning level, the card cannot be used. It would deny them the level they are entitled to for beating the snake according to the language and thereby make it an illegal play.
Can the card be played to (in effect) allow the opponent's new snake creature to be defeated, granting the opponent a treasure, (normally grant 1 level) but deny the opponent from gaining that level because it would be the winning level? Or is the move illegal all together as my opponent states?
rjbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbri View Post
Can the card be played to (in effect) allow the opponent's new snake creature to be defeated, granting the opponent a treasure, (normally grant 1 level) but deny the opponent from gaining that level because it would be the winning level? Or is the move illegal all together as my opponent states?
The move is illegal because the fight is for the winning level.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote