Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
naraht

Default Impudite of Death question?

The Impudite of Death attunement is that they can extract essence from Corpses if they attempt it within hours equal to the Demon's Corporeal forces. (and that they can kill wo dissonance)

What happens to that Essence if the Impudite doesn't take it? Does it affect whether the soul has essence when it arrives in Heaven or Hell? (If souls have essence when they arrive in Hell, that might make the situation at the Gates more interesting...)

I guess I tend to think of Impudites of Death in one of two ways (presuming they don't use the kill wo dissonance), neither or which are particularly negative: 1) Gleaners, taking the unharvested corn from the field after it has been reaped. 2) The bootmakers. I like cows, so I don't particularly want them killed, but once they are, not using the leather to make boots would be a waste.
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
William

Default Re: Impudite of Death question?

Doing something to the corpse shouldn't affect the soul. I'd say that they have a way of getting water from a stone -- squeezing a couple points of Essence from the vivid manifestation of Death that is a human corpse.

Of course, if you want it to come from the human then I'd say they're taking some of the Essence that might have been lingering -- so, your "gleaners" interpretation. Some people take all their Essence with them, some leave a few points behind.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

For me, it seems like a disguised Rite: "Perform your bond with a freshly dead corpse; Essence variable."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
JCD

Don't forget that Impudites of Death are spit upon by their non-Death compatriots IF their affiliation is known, much the same way that Cherubs of Judgement are looked at as perverse (to say the least) by other Cherubs.

At least that's my read.

As I've stated before: Impudites look at human beings as walking talking, ATM machines who has a sex portal as well. They magically fill up regularly for the harvesting.

So the Impudites of Death are seem as the guys who shove their hands up the rectum of the goose that lays the golden eggs. Yeah, HE has an egg. But the goose is dead.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
naraht

In terms of how much they take with them. I could see changing the Impudite of Death attunement to reflect somehow the manner of death. If they died in a way in which they would have tried to spend their essence (say being gradually squished like Judge Doom in who framed Roger Rabbit), they probably spent it all. OTOH, being shot in the heart while asleep...

Yeah, Impudites of Death are looked at as strange, but both Kobal and Baal allow *some* of the same dissonance avoidance.

But if the Goose is already dead and you *can* shove your hands up there...

Also, I'm assuming that Impudites of death don't have to deal with any nasty will roll on the part of the target to take the essence...
Old 10-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
In terms of how much they take with them. I could see changing the Impudite of Death attunement to reflect somehow the manner of death. If they died in a way in which they would have tried to spend their essence (say being gradually squished like Judge Doom in who framed Roger Rabbit), they probably spent it all. OTOH, being shot in the heart while asleep...

Yeah, Impudites of Death are looked at as strange, but both Kobal and Baal allow *some* of the same dissonance avoidance.

But if the Goose is already dead and you *can* shove your hands up there...

Also, I'm assuming that Impudites of death don't have to deal with any nasty will roll on the part of the target to take the essence...
Yum. Icky cold dead essence!

True on the Kobal and Baal thing.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
naraht

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Yum. Icky cold dead essence!

True on the Kobal and Baal thing.
Well, whether or not essence from various sources can be told apart is sort of a "flavor" concept. (Though a significant plot point at the beginning of the "Waters will Rise" story/thread)
Old 10-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Well, whether or not essence from various sources can be told apart is sort of a "flavor" concept. (Though a significant plot point at the beginning of the "Waters will Rise" story/thread)
Insects and dahl are both protein sources.

Yet the idea of eating them are both repugnant to my Western palate.

I think that to most non-Death Impudites, the mere concept of 'dead' Essence would be repugnant. Sort of like eating a half wrapped hamburger taken from a dumpster.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
William

This is somewhat irrelevant to the thread, but I just want to make sure I'm understanding your point correctly. Specifically...

...you don't like dahl?

I mean, it seems like you're including "a tasty spiced lentil dish" with "insects" in your disapproval here. I'm a Westerner, and I like dahl just fine...
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
...you don't like dahl?

I mean, it seems like you're including "a tasty spiced lentil dish" with "insects" in your disapproval here. I'm a Westerner, and I like dahl just fine...
Frank Loesser certainly knew the power of that dish:

When you see a guy,
Reach for stars in the sky,
You can bet that he's doing it for some dahl!

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
impudites, saminga