Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
cbower

Default Re: Campaign Setting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Now that looks good ... to bad it's probably impossible to a) obtain legally and b) run on a modern PC.
GOG sells it, and it's supposed to work on modern machines: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/darklands
cbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
Jürgen Hubert

I am also collecting books with various local myths and legends of parts of Germany - admittedly mostly from Franconia so far. From my impressions, it seemed to be the high point of many village chronicles if, during the Thirty Years' War, they managed to catch a straggling Swedish soldier separated from his unit and string him up...
Old 10-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #13
ak_aramis

Quote:
Has anyone had significant experience with using a setting similar to late medieval / renaissance Germany? There was a chap going on about it on the radio last night - actually in the context of the thirty years war - what with microstates down to the lands of a single abbey and up to things resembling a proper country all at least nominally under the rule of a (somewhat distant) Emperor.

It occured to me that it would make a pretty good setting for a low fantasy RPG - plenty of scope for limited warfare, intrigue and the like. Possibly some German RPG company has already worked this out...
Late Medieval and/or Early Renaissance Germany is actually a fairly common trope. Not usually fragmented to that degree, but definitely that is another common trope, too.

The most obvious is Warhammer FRP 1E, with each major city being essentially a state under the nominal emperor Karl-Franz...

Less obvious is Chivalry and Sorcery, which in various editions s pretty medieval (circa 1400s tech), but is that fragmented.

Pendragon isn't that setting, but is that fragmented at start...

Cyclopedia/BXCMI D&D is also potentially that fragmented.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #14
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Late Medieval and/or Early Renaissance Germany is actually a fairly common trope. Not usually fragmented to that degree, but definitely that is another common trope, too.

The most obvious is Warhammer FRP 1E, with each major city being essentially a state under the nominal emperor Karl-Franz...

Less obvious is Chivalry and Sorcery, which in various editions s pretty medieval (circa 1400s tech), but is that fragmented.

There is also relevant material in Ars Magica and in Mage: The Sorcerer's Crusade.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:54 AM   #15
Jürgen Hubert

I really need to stat up various creatures from German myth and legend in GURPS terms one of these days...
Old 10-19-2011, 03:07 AM   #16
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
I am also collecting books with various local myths and legends of parts of Germany - admittedly mostly from Franconia so far. From my impressions, it seemed to be the high point of many village chronicles if, during the Thirty Years' War, they managed to catch a straggling Swedish soldier separated from his unit and string him up...
Hartlepool in the NE of England sees your Swedes and raises you a monkey mistaken for a Frenchman.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:11 AM   #17
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbower View Post
GOG sells it, and it's supposed to work on modern machines: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/darklands
Now that is interesting...
As to the whole Darklands thing, my first thought was that the setting would be a cool one for an (f)RPG, so I may just buy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
There is also relevant material in Ars Magica and in Mage: The Sorcerer's Crusade.

Bill Stoddard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post

Thanks ... I'll look into it. I tempted to just start drawing and populate the map at random and then draw boundaries onto it.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #18
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Thanks ... I'll look into it. I tempted to just start drawing and populate the map at random and then draw boundaries onto it.
Here is a map from 1648.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #19
The Colonel

Quote:
Here is a map from 1648.
Hence the Flickenteppich I guess ... thanks.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #20
Anders

Quote:
I really need to stat up various creatures from German myth and legend in GURPS terms one of these days...
The Wolpertinger!

Tags
germany, history, low fantasy, setting