Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-03-2021, 12:47 AM   #1
kirbwarrior

Default Create-ing Internally

Create blatantly says you can't create inside a foe. Presumably this is because being able to, say, create ten pounds (or even an ounce) of iron inside the lungs is a fairly painful death.

However, what if the Created substance is entirely incapable of harm or inconvenience, either as a property of the substance or a feature of the ability? For instance, let's say there is a liquid substance that can entirely take the place of food. I buy Create 1 for that specific substance. Would I be able to conjure it into my stomach and bypass the whole 'eating' part? With Ranged, could I do it to someone else (and would they have to be willing)? Would a Payload have any extra effects on this? If a person was willing, would I be able to Create anything inside them (so for instance, if I had Create Organic, I could try to conjure food in them, and they might allow it if I choose something safe and their stomach, but not something poisonous and their kidney)? Just wondering what would be fair and work with the rest of how Create is made and balanced.

Note I dropped the Creation Pool long, long ago. I can deal with any economic issues of a given ability. Thank you ahead of time.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:49 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Create-ing Internally

As long as you can only create it internally in yourself, this should be nothing more than, say, a +20% enhancement. But if you can create 20 lbs. of matter per second inside someone else's stomach it won't matter if it's nontoxic. It can be used to blow people up - quite literally. That's +50% or +100%.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:03 PM   #3
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
As long as you can only create it internally in yourself, this should be nothing more than, say, a +20% enhancement. But if you can create 20 lbs. of matter per second inside someone else's stomach it won't matter if it's nontoxic. It can be used to blow people up - quite literally. That's +50% or +100%.
The latter sounds more like a full on attack and I'm not even certain Create is the right place for that. Is the former an enhancement just because it saves time on eating?
Old 05-04-2021, 01:17 AM   #4
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
The latter sounds more like a full on attack and I'm not even certain Create is the right place for that. Is the former an enhancement just because it saves time on eating?
It is an attack, but you know someone's is going to try and argue.

The former is an enhancement because - while I can't think of some way to abuse it I'm sure there are players out there who can.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:46 AM   #5
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
It is an attack, but you know someone's is going to try and argue.

The former is an enhancement because - while I can't think of some way to abuse it I'm sure there are players out there who can.
I thought so. Like, I'd be completely okay with an IA that ignored defense and had Lingering Effects to explain someone exploding from too much stuff inside them. Or maybe just make it an affliction.

That makes sense. Although now it's making me wonder if I should instead just buy it as a Payload. Heck, Payload 5 (Based on 10 +0%, Only this very specific substance -80%) makes for a neat trick and is exactly the first level of Create in weight.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:50 AM   #6
Aldric

If you consider the cost of Doesn't Eat or Drink as an Affliction, with a decently long duration, and purchase it as an AA to Create you get a solution to your problem, or a guideline on how much this proposed variation might cost.
Now, I'm not really good at creating beneficial afflictions, so I'm not really sure how that compares :)
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:14 AM   #7
the_matrix_walker

Is the goal to use Create in a funky way, or to build a power that feeds people?

If you are looking for the power to keep stomachs full, I would use the Healing variant to heal fatigue, limited to heal only fatigue from starvation. The rest is a special effect.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #8
Plane

Quote:
Create blatantly says you can't create inside a foe. Presumably this is because being able to, say, create ten pounds (or even an ounce) of iron inside the lungs is a fairly painful death.
On the other hand, teleporting a pound of marshmallows inside someone's stomach is probably a lot less dangerous than teleporting a pound of marshmallows into someone's scuba tank at an inopportune moment.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #9
Polkageist

Not having the books handy I can't put the values on it, but the limitation of it being effective on willing participants only keeps it from being used as an attack, and sort-of even prevents it from being used in the 'too much of a good thing' sort of way since once the subject feels a little uncomfortable they'd become unwilling.

Your note about it not even being buyable in this form unless the substance being created is intrinsically harmless is spot on.

If the goal is just to avoid eating, then Reduced Consumption is the advantage you'd want and just give it style. I don't think Reduced Consumption puts any preconditions on how consumption is reduced.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:

However, what if the Created substance is entirely incapable of harm or inconvenience, either as a property of the substance or a feature of the ability?.
Nah. Using Create directly to affect a human body just isn't on. The mechanics are too problematic and the potential for creatively deadly applications are too obvious. An alternate ability that removes hunger is the way to go. I like Healing as a the simplest approach.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote