Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
kestercrwn

Default Permanent Duration in Ritual Path Magic

Hi all,

I've been reading through my books and the forum lately, looking for a solution to the question of permanence in RPM. I know the system intentionally does not allow for flat permanent effects (i.e. I cast a spell, it's now permanent automatically). From what I understand, this is a style choice due to its implications within a given setting (e.g. economic response to infinite gold, etc.)

I know there are some workarounds for this - duration so long as to be essentially permanent and conditional termination, applying some hard-to-meet requisite that makes the spell enduring.

However, is it possible to devise a way to apply a simple "Extended Duration, Permanent 150% (can be dispelled)" and "Extended Duration, Permanent 300% (can't be dispelled)" effect to a spell?

Regardless of the implications for a setting, I'd like to have a simple option if I did decide to allow for such permanence.

How can I price it effectively in RPM? I imagine it would also needed to change the nature of spell duration overall in RPM (why pay such amount energy for 1000 years of enchantment when I can put 'permanent' on it for what would probably be cheaper?)

Essentially, I'd like a hard method for applying permanence and its cost to a spell.

Thanks in advance for your help!
kestercrwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:05 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Permanent Duration in Ritual Path Magic

I can't find why I priced Permanent at 38 energy, but I did and use it in my own campaigns. I know I started with Conditional Termination from GURPS Thaumatology (p. 242), but other than that...no idea. It's seen lots of playtest so it's pretty balanced.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:26 AM   #3
kestercrwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I can't find why I priced Permanent at 38 energy, but I did and use it in my own campaigns. I know I started with Conditional Termination from GURPS Thaumatology (p. 242), but other than that...no idea. It's seen lots of playtest so it's pretty balanced.
Thank you! That does sound about right since RPM suggests doubling everything from Conditional Termination and that's close to the 32 you'd get from doubling "until dispelled" for 16. I appreciate your help.

When you use the 38 for permanence, do you adjust the rules for duration any further in order to avoid someone paying more energy for a 20-year long spell than they would for making it permanent?
kestercrwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestercrwn View Post
Thank you! That does sound about right since RPM suggests doubling everything from Conditional Termination and that's close to the 32 you'd get from doubling "until dispelled" for 16. I appreciate your help.

When you use the 38 for permanence, do you adjust the rules for duration any further in order to avoid someone paying more energy for a 20-year long spell than they would for making it permanent?
I allow both as they can do different things when accounting for spell durations.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote