Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #21
WingedKagouti

Default Re: What's the cost of a Universal Translator as an advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Source for what? The advantage write up clearly gives only two languages at a time.
Omnilingual (from Supers p.29) explicitly states you know every language you encounter. There is nothing in the description that should lead anyone to say "But only two languages at any given time."

You are generally right if you're referring to any of the Telepathy or Modular Abilities builds doing similar stuff, but not for the actual (Xeno-)Omnilingual Unusual Background. I want to see actual citations from source books (or Kromm) if you want to argue otherwise.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

Oh, right. The xeno-omnilingual version that costs 80 points is just a giant UB without any other numbers. I forgot about that version.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #23
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Oh, right. The xeno-omnilingual version that costs 80 points is just a giant UB without any other numbers. I forgot about that version.
In general, the previously outlined version with Modular Abilities (Slotted Cosmic Power) and Language Talent is better than either UB version, considering that there are very few circumstance where you will need fluency in more than three languages simultaneously. It is also much cheaper than the xeno-omnilingual UB.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 03:20 AM   #24
Maz

Just on a side-note. You also have to consider what you really feel such a power would be worth in your game.

Many fantasy-like games I have played everyone speaks the same "common" language anyway. And, yes, it happens someone deliberately speaks in a another (elven) language that they think your group do not speak, and being able to listen in might be a benefit. But in many settings there are actually very few languages outlined and in a mixed party of PC's there are often someone who speaks it anyway.

What I'm getting at, is. In some settings this might just be a small bonus, maybe worth 20-30 pts. I would feel that language-barriers has to play a semi-important role in the campaign for it to be worth so many points.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, languages