Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Pyramid

Old 02-26-2021, 04:23 PM   #1
Taneli

Default Pyramid #4, thoughts?

So, how have you all liked the newest iteration of Pyramid? Any thoughts or highlights of particular issues?

I've barely skimmed trough them all, but am really liking the short form stuff that has been missing since the Pyramid #3-122.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:31 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Pyramid #4, thoughts?

I think my favorite article is supernatural energy, from pyramid 4/1. It has a lot of potential.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:52 PM   #3
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I think my favorite article is supernatural energy, from pyramid 4/1. It has a lot of potential.
YAY! Thank you for the compliment. I tried to address what I felt were specific needs with both articles and in the case of Supernatural Energy to help bring Powers based magic more inline with the other forms. But I also included stuff for other forms to cover as much as possible. The environmental source stuff was also something I have wanted to cover for awhile.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #4
Michael Thayne

Let's see... Fantasy/Magic I had "The Demonic Temple of Felltower", which left me wanting to see the entire thing, and "Pandemonium", which is just a great premise, reminded me of the theory that in the Buffyverse the hell dimensions are just places the monsters won. Modern/Action had some cool location maps ("The Checkpoint" and "El Rancho Fin Del Camino"). And "Mind Over Time" was great as an example of how to do comic-book speedsters in a setting where powers are primarily psionic.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:40 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Let's see... Fantasy/Magic I had "The Demonic Temple of Felltower", which left me wanting to see the entire thing, and "Pandemonium", which is just a great premise, reminded me of the theory that in the Buffyverse the hell dimensions are just places the monsters won.

Which is weird, because I think those were in the bottom half of the fantasy issue for me. I'm glad to see someone liked them.

The vehicles article was really good. Perhaps it was low hanging fruit, but I'm glad to see it.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:03 AM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

Perhaps it was low hanging fruit, but I'm glad to see it.
Writers try for the "low-hanging fruit" because most of what practically writes itself is stuff that many gamers – the writer included – want and constantly talk about, but that not everybody has the time to push across the line between talk and action. Taking a few hours out to give it the needed shove is relatively easy and guaranteed good reviews. It's a win for everybody: writer, readers, and publisher.

By contrast, things that are a puzzle to write are usually that way because they're hard to frame. With only a vague idea of what people actually want, it's possible for the demand you think you're meeting not to exist. You stand a real chance of doing a lot of work for nothing, of creating a solution in search of a problem. I admit to taking far too many risks here . . . I still have no idea if anybody really wants "Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes," "Putting Science in Your Fiction," or "Tactical Looting."

There are surprisingly few things that everybody wants but that are difficult to deliver. Usually, the difficulty is in winning the publisher's support for the necessary page count or format to deliver something that's ultimately pretty straightforward to write, and such things aren't suited to magazine articles. It's more about convincing the publisher to pay you for and then try to sell 200+ pages of stuff. Writing that many words is work, but not truly "difficult."
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I still have no idea if anybody really wants "Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes," "Putting Science in Your Fiction," or "Tactical Looting."
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've had people privately tell me or tell me on the Discord for GURPS they liked it, but no "public" reviews or even stuff on the forums so I have no idea what folks thought about my stuff.

I know *I* had fun writing it. Being able to revisit some of my old articles (The Hunter's Reliquary and More Options For Metatronic Generators) and create something new (Fusion Alchemy and RPM Healing and Purification Spells) was really great.

As much as I have griped about the short format . . . and I have . . . it *DOES* focus you and sharpens the quill when it comes to writing. Overall, I liked a bunch of the stuff that got in and I really hope we get to do it again because it was a blast to read and to write.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:11 AM   #8
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've had people privately tell me or tell me on the Discord for GURPS they liked it, but no "public" reviews or even stuff on the forums so I have no idea what folks thought about my stuff.
I know a few people didn't like at least some of mine. *shrug* I liked them. Particularly Fraxinetum.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:27 AM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I admit to taking far too many risks here . . . I still have no idea if anybody really wants "Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes," "Putting Science in Your Fiction," or "Tactical Looting."
For me of the three Putting Science in your fiction was the most inspiring and I can see it as good background material for character development and occasionally the main plot. Depending on the genre of course.
Play Stupid Games seems more like a bit to add fluff to a campaign setting and is less useful or likely to come up but still potentially useful.
Tactical Looting was also interesting to read but I doubt I'll ever use as it just does not fit my style as GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Speaking of reviews... I linked the ones I know about to my reviews.
I usually just describe and try for more an informative and "what is this for?" than a rating style review. Mailanka and I think its Blind Mapmaker do more rating styles, like a book or movie critic. What type do people find more useful?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 03-08-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I know a few people didn't like at least some of mine. *shrug* I liked them. Particularly Fraxinetum.
:/ Well at least you know . . .

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote