Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:40 PM   #11
cephalopagus

Default Re: Vulcans and Friends counter sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Oh hey Paul! Fair warning I'm pretty awful at tying screen names to real names so will probably forget in the near future, but fancy meeting you here.

I'm still dwelling on the Mk you'd put up...my initial reaction was to twinge at the plasma cannon rules, but want to give it a fair shake and it's been a supremely busy weekend. Sunday was a family reunion, and Saturday I didn't get home from a 1pm-5pm MIB appearance until late...when someone I was running the Munchkin CCG for needed a restroom/snack break we ended up meandering the store, conversing, and walking past a game of Bolt Action...which led to a conversation about wargaming, a small world moment [apparently he did re-enacting with my predecessor at the masonic lodge], Ogre came up, and he was so dead-set on getting to see it for himself we ended up playing until almost 7. Mutually assured destruction...the only thing that survived was a Howitzer and a GEV [held back in case it survived and made a run for the border]

And thanks! I wouldn't have been able to write it without you lot to use for inspiration [that whole story grew out of a forum thread where people were discussing marks in terms of 'two X welded together' and 'Smash a Y and a Z together', which sounded like campfire stories] and Drew's encouragement once the submission went in [seriously Drew, you have no idea how much 'yes, this is good enough' and even 'yes, this has potential' means to this scarred soul]

I try! For whatever reason, cataloguing 'I thought I saw something about ... over at ...' is something I have a knack for.

Now we just wait over the next few expansions and see if my initial suspicion was right, given that you're both the Line Editor and the author of Bridging the Gap... ;)
Yea apparently I'm in a flame war with CS over the plasma weapon but I keep trying to point out that the weapon selection isn't (or at least I think) the issue its having something very powerful over a short range that gets weaker over distance and can only be used every other (or every third) turn. You have to think how to sue it and how to defend again it. That is all I am trying to go for. Now if you tell me it's not worth the effort cool I'll leave it at that and play with those that want to. Any way we really should P.M. sorry for everyone else caught in our conversation.
cephalopagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #12
wolf90

Quote:
[seriously Drew, you have no idea how much 'yes, this is good enough' and even 'yes, this has potential' means to this scarred soul]
You're more than welcome. I'm glad you followed through!

And for anyone considering submitting an article, give it a whirl. I'm not saying I'll accept anything (I've disappointed more than one potential author), but I will give you feedback as to why a submission is moved forward or not. Sometimes a "No, thank you" is simply a matter of where we're going with a specific issue or the balance we seek with the previously accepted articles. An issue that is all fiction, or all game variants, is not a particularly balanced issue. And some submissions that are "sent back for reconsideration" end up being good articles down the road. I already have an article accepted for (an entirely theoretical, at this time,) issue 3!

Quote:
Now we just wait over the next few expansions and see if my initial suspicion was right, given that you're both the Line Editor and the author of Bridging the Gap... ;)
I'm thinking you won't need to wait too long . . . !

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:20 PM   #13
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopagus View Post
Yea apparently I'm in a flame war with CS over the plasma weapon but I keep trying to point out that the weapon selection isn't (or at least I think) the issue its having something very powerful over a short range that gets weaker over distance and can only be used every other (or every third) turn. You have to think how to sue it and how to defend again it. That is all I am trying to go for. Now if you tell me it's not worth the effort cool I'll leave it at that and play with those that want to. Any way we really should P.M. sorry for everyone else caught in our conversation.
Eh, conversation is healthy! Flame wars less so, but conversation yes.

Do you play From the Depths by chance? It's very similar to that game's Particle Cannon, complete with sharp fall-off at range and charge time. My concern isn't what it is, it's 'how' it is.

In that respect...David [GranitePenguin] has done a very good job of using my own "Don't invoke a name unless you're staying true to it" philosophy against me, beating 'No, bad Andy, Ogre is not [insert super-fiddly wargame here]. Keep It Elegant, Stupid' into me over the past year and a half or so.

With that on my mind, I'm left wondering if the Particle Cannon wouldn't be better off starting with the draft / speculative / whatever rules for the Ogrethulhu Eye [the one I remember / am thinking of is the one that was a beam weapon, not the sanity check one on BGG], and then tweaking it to make it your own. Might let you keep a similar feel, while getting the bookkeeping down to something that feels like Steve himself dreamed it up.

If the 'every X turns' mechanic is absolutely non-negotiable, may I suggest using the 'Disabled' rules [it 'disables' when it fires, becomes susceptible to D results, and can fire again when it recovers] instead? Repurpose something everyone already knows how to use, rather than creating all-new one-off rules.

And then for Miniatures, give it a simple "Ignores the Hard Cover bonus for most circumstances; 'Very Good' hard cover grants a +1 instead of the usual +2" to replace the math of computing effective hexes and then looking up the attack strength based on the effective hexes and all that jazz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
You're more than welcome. I'm glad you followed through!

[snip]

I'm thinking you won't need to wait too long . . . !

D.
You're such a tease.

I can't say what it'll be or when, but you'll hear from me again...I'm short of time, I'm short people to playtest with, but I'm not short of ideas.

Ideally I'd also like to start getting scenarios and variant units in, if only to build more of a body of experience at game design. Got a few ideas, but putting together unit lists is one thing...making something that's fun enough to play over and over again, and in terms of more ambitious projects making entire subsystems that play nice with one another is another entirely!
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #14
wolf90

Quote:
I can't say what it'll be or when, but you'll hear from me again...I'm short of time, I'm short people to playtest with, but I'm not short of ideas.
As mentioned, I'm very hopeful for an Ogrezine III. Having a nice stockpile of great articles makes it that much easier to push the idea forward. So by all means, keep 'em coming! Plus, this gives you the entire winter to work out your ideas and playtest your variants and/or scenarios.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:24 AM   #15
cephalopagus

Quote:
Eh, conversation is healthy! Flame wars less so, but conversation yes.

Do you play From the Depths by chance? It's very similar to that game's Particle Cannon, complete with sharp fall-off at range and charge time. My concern isn't what it is, it's 'how' it is.

In that respect...David [GranitePenguin] has done a very good job of using my own "Don't invoke a name unless you're staying true to it" philosophy against me, beating 'No, bad Andy, Ogre is not [insert super-fiddly wargame here]. Keep It Elegant, Stupid' into me over the past year and a half or so.

With that on my mind, I'm left wondering if the Particle Cannon wouldn't be better off starting with the draft / speculative / whatever rules for the Ogrethulhu Eye [the one I remember / am thinking of is the one that was a beam weapon, not the sanity check one on BGG], and then tweaking it to make it your own. Might let you keep a similar feel, while getting the bookkeeping down to something that feels like Steve himself dreamed it up.

If the 'every X turns' mechanic is absolutely non-negotiable, may I suggest using the 'Disabled' rules [it 'disables' when it fires, becomes susceptible to D results, and can fire again when it recovers] instead? Repurpose something everyone already knows how to use, rather than creating all-new one-off rules.

And then for Miniatures, give it a simple "Ignores the Hard Cover bonus for most circumstances; 'Very Good' hard cover grants a +1 instead of the usual +2" to replace the math of computing effective hexes and then looking up the attack strength based on the effective hexes and all that jazz...

You're such a tease.

Ideally I'd also like to start getting scenarios and variant units in, if only to build more of a body of experience at game design. Got a few ideas, but putting together unit lists is one thing...making something that's fun enough to play over and over again, and in terms of more ambitious projects making entire subsystems that play nice with one another is another entirely!
Cool thanks for the input I'm glad you took the time for your well thought out suggestions. I am also glad you see that I was going for. Regards
cephalopagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:48 AM   #16
Izzy_B

Quote:
And for anyone considering submitting an article, give it a whirl. I'm not saying I'll accept anything (I've disappointed more than one potential author), but I will give you feedback as to why a submission is moved forward or not. Sometimes a "No, thank you" is simply a matter of where we're going with a specific issue or the balance we seek with the previously accepted articles. An issue that is all fiction, or all game variants, is not a particularly balanced issue. And some submissions that are "sent back for reconsideration" end up being good articles down the road. I already have an article accepted for (an entirely theoretical, at this time,) issue 3!
Waiting on feedback on my scenario submission
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #17
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopagus View Post
Cool thanks for the input I'm glad you took the time for your well thought out suggestions. I am also glad you see that I was going for. Regards
Had a further thought, as now I'm picturing what it'd look like on the erasable Ogre cards. For simplicity's sake, might want to stick to just two range brackets [if keeping that aspect]. Then you could do something like

Tunneling Battery:
┌ A8 R3 D#

□ -OR-

└ A4 R8 D#

to make it pretty clear that it's one weapon with two firing options.

[for the record, the numbers aren't arbitrary...one is 'Primary firing twice in one turn instead of once each turn for two turns', the other is 'LAD firing twice in one turn instead of once each turn for two turns'; Reduce, reuse, recycle, it's not just for hippies! :p ]
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:36 PM   #18
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
There's going to be two sources coming up soon. The first is the Ogre Minis 2nd Edition book. No Vulcan, but a set of 3D drones.

Re: Battlefields, the last time Drew dropped a teaser on us it sounds like it's going to be a good [but expensive] one. Vulcans, Ninjas, Drones, variant infantry [marines, HWT, engineers, etc], Fencer B, Mk.I, Maps G3 and S3, and stuff to blow up.

From "Ogre News", about this time last year:
I also sincerely hope the NINJA has some new companion rules included for it...SJGs posted such excellent and well iterated rules but ultimately pulled/ condensed and reposted them as a concise rule set not much different than it has been historically. (Which is great). A large portion of those rules remain unpublished. This is what I am referring to. I thought all of it was excellent stuff, especially the modular nature the NINJA was given and allowed a number of "Tricks" based on how many were allotted to it.

I wish I had more time to playtest and be involved with OGRE, and I wish those rules would have been allowed to float out here in the wild as a sort of Beta-Testing opportunity much longer than they did instead of being pulled.

It takes time to cultivate/ play test and dial-in such things to "final" rules versions which I don't think it received enough of. Please consider reposting those NINJA rules again as "Beta-Only" because they were excellent...or you could always surprise us and publish them in the supplement. ;)

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 10-23-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:02 PM   #19
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
Please consider reposting those NINJA rules again as "Beta-Only" because they were excellent...or you could always surprise us and publish them in the supplement. ;)
There is a real possibility that they will show up again at some point down the road as an entirely optional variation of the Ninja, but they will not be in the forthcoming Ogrezine II issue nor Battlefields.

D.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #20
ColBosch

Quote:
There is a real possibility that they will show up again at some point down the road as an entirely optional variation of the Ninja, but they will not be in the forthcoming Ogrezine II issue nor Battlefields.
While I was against their inclusion as the standard Ninja rules in the main rulebook, I would not mind seeing them as options in a future project.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote