Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 09-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #71
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Survey: Top Priorities for Ogre VG Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochDigital View Post
Tile Edges - When we made the call to not put in cruise missiles, this included not adding destroyed hexes, as this was one of the major areas that added a lot of extra development and we'd have had to cut other features. So we had to compromise on structurally how we handles hexes, road and rail. What this meant is that some of the detailed rules on tile edges could be be added either leaving some of these areas not in even though they don't explicitly relate to cruise missiles.
I think this is an error to associate destroyed hexes with CMs. Not only are CMs rare in a physical game, destroying a hex is integral to winning games, especially when INF are involved. Rubbling a town hex to drop the D value of INF is often critical. Having a hex be damaged by overruns is also an important after-effect. Granted, that particular case is mostly covered by simply cutting the road (since damaged terrain doesn't change the terrain effects), but it does make it one step closer to rubble. This isn't to say CMs don't destroy terrain, obviously; I'm simply stating that 95% of terrain destruction comes from normal fighting.

While terrain destruction rules are optional rules (so it's easy to justify them not being in the game), it's usually _all_ terrain destruction, not pick and choose destruction.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #72
offsides

I want to second GP's assessment of terrain destruction. The ability to rubble town hexes to make it easier to hit INF is sometimes the only way to kill them with any reasonable certainty. It also affects GEVs and other units that can be disabled by rubble but not town hexes, not to mention the possibility of heavy tracked units getting stuck in rubble. I understand how terrain destruction can seem like it's especially pertinent to Cruise Missiles, but realistically it's a lot more important than they are.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #73
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

CM != Terrain Destruction can be further illustrated by a couple facts about when they appeared in the rules
  1. Terrain Destruction: G.E.V. 1st Ed - 1978
  2. Cruise Missiles: Shockwave - 1984
The ability to destroy terrain precedes CMs by several years (literally near the beginning of time).
Old 09-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #74
selenite

Quote:
If there are things not part of those you think we should have done, let me know and I'll look into it.
Where does adding alternate maps to scenarios stand? For example, I'd love to play Ceasefire Collapse on G1/S1/S2.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #75
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
Where does adding alternate maps to scenarios stand? For example, I'd love to play Ceasefire Collapse on G1/S1/S2.
I think the closest you are going to get is if you make your own scenario for it (within the limitations of the scenario creator, of course). You can get a reasonable approximation in most cases that way (but it's not a trivial amount of effort).
Old 09-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #76
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Right so summarizing a lot of test and issues for brevity we've got the main areas of:[LIST][*]Ramps in/out of water - Technically a bug allowing Scenario Editor to place swap next to beach, but we decided to leave this in so people can play with it.
Thank You for this confirmation, and especially for leaving it in the game! I can't really see where it would be a bad thing to have kept in the game. It became a topic for a new terrain hex when it was discovered and made a Scenario possible that was a lot of fun iterating into something playable. Maybe it has enough merit to be made official someday.

I'll be iterating QUAGMIRE and republishing a final version soon Thanks to this news. I planned keeping it pulled because I didn't know what would come of this "bug" and the uncertainty it caused.

Quote:
We're using the 3D models as they are here. So what you're seeing in the export is what is in the game (though the other game lighting/rendering code impacts on it's look). We'd need to write a system to trace a line over the existing hex lines.
So, to confirm, the answer is no fix until more funding?

If so, and it will persist unfixed, please put a note somewhere letting people who are about to export maps know the hex lines lack the integrity they should have when printing a map.

Quote:
Given the resources we'd like to add everything that is/has been officially published for Ogre and a bunch of new idea. Sadly we don't have those resources.
Are Command Posts in the Scenario Creator not to be done until more funding is available? Just that "small" addition would really open up so many new Scenario possibilities.

Quote:
It's not a limitation on the engine, sorry if I gave that impression. The current engine could be made to do everything. Sure some areas of code would need updating etc. But the core framework can do it. All this can be done - with more time and money. That's sadly our limit.

Ok. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
It's going to take a while. I can't really give exact answers, but it's a while hence taking the time to make the statement.
So, there is hope then... :)

Quote:
We take part in Steam sales, there's been promotions with other re-sellers like Humble. We've done the competitions. We took part in the Steam board-game sale/promo recently. We're planning to do more streaming. But other things in the background. Steam remains a hard marketplace though. There is no easy route to exposure on Steam.

Awesome.

Quote:
Thanks for taking time to get me your thoughts :)
You're welcome, and Thank You for keeping those tread units rolling!

Thank You for all the effort continuing to go into the game. You have restored my enthusiasm.
You have a real gem here that just needs some polish and more funding to take it where we all know it can go.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 09-15-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #77
AurochDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
Sadly that stands as other content additions; we need to get more resources for the game first. Sorry :(
Old 09-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #78
AurochDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
CM != Terrain Destruction can be further illustrated by a couple facts about when they appeared in the rules
  1. Terrain Destruction: G.E.V. 1st Ed - 1978
  2. Cruise Missiles: Shockwave - 1984
The ability to destroy terrain precedes CMs by several years (literally near the beginning of time).
Duly noted. I've added to our list for when we're in position to add more content.

Thanks, as ever :)
Old 09-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #79
AurochDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
Are Command Posts in the Scenario Creator not to be done until more funding is available? Just that "small" addition would really open up so many new Scenario possibilities.
Yes, when we have more funds for the game, we can start to look at what can be done. We'll, of course, let you all know before so it can be discussed and I can then give indications of what is possible within that... Thanks.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:07 PM   #80
Tim Kauffman

A friend just purchased OGRE on STEAM and played through the NIGHTFALL Campaign and really enjoyed it. He called up later and we played Ceasefire Collapse and Breakthrough. Had a fun time of it. We are planning a rematch soon.

However we hope to see more content become available. We are both disappointed Custom Scenario games cannot be played multiplayer online. The ability to do that would be a solid foot forward for the game as it would open up and encourage new Custom Scenarios to be made and played multiplayer online. This is the main component that can and will help grow the game and give it more replayability, thus also generating more interest and game play which will ultimately generate more purchased games as more people take a look and want to buy the game. We need the momentum this can generate.

I know this has been discussed before and the answer is no more development until more sales and more funding...but let me just ask...what would it take to get Custom Scenarios playable as multiplayer online? This would be a clear and concise goal to achieve and implement.

Tags
ogre, survey, video game