Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #41
Brandy

Default Re: Countering archers and bows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Your typical bandits usually lack Heroic Archer
A couple people have mentioned the Heroic Archer trait. I don't think that's what the OP meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Hey there, I am playing a swashbuckler and I have been struggling a lot, against archers and their bows. They are in the hills, then far away behind rocks, then we have those heroic archers that run away and shoot.
I read that as "...those <sarcasm>heroic</sarcasm> archers that run away and shoot [instead of standing their ground and fighting]" not as "bowmen with Heroic Archer"
Old 01-12-2018, 07:37 AM   #42
Mathulhu

Without Heroic Archer, an archer running away isn't much of a threat. If you've forced them to spend their actions moving then they aren't attacking or doing anything to facilitate their attacks.

I have had a couple of ideas that others haven't mentioned, soak the arrows until you die and surrender/talk to them.

When I say "just die" I mean let the GM have his fun and kill, or cripple, the characters. I hope he has an interesting plan for the characters after that. Or he is bored of the game and wants to do something else.

Earlier you mentioned that you were looking for better equipment. Bandits should know where to get good equipment. So they might make a good source of information for your future plans.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:44 AM   #43
JoelSammallahti

Get proper armor. If they're shooting 1d+1 imp arrows at you, and you have DR 5 heavy mail over DR 2 layered cloth, they're out of luck.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #44
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

There's also Acting. Focus on dodging that first arrow. But whether it's a near miss or a potential hit that you dodge, keel over "dead." This is a Quick Contest of Acting vs. the higher of IQ or Perception . . . but at a distance, the enemy will have range penalties to see what's going on. And the GM might let you make a Sleight of Hand roll as a complementary skill roll to clutch an arrow hidden in your gear to your heart as you spin dramatically and collapse.

Arrows are expensive. Unless all the archers have Bloodlust (a risk, I'll grant), they won't waste ammo shooting downed victims. Then, when the archers see you're all down, and come to salvage the arrows they can and loot your bodies, you can use Acrobatic Stand to dazzle them by leaping to your feet . . . or show off your skill at arms by stabbing them from your back at -4. Either way, if you happen to have the Dirty Fighting perk, it would be fair to let you benefit from it here.

All of this seems in keeping with the swashbuckling way, which is usually about cunning, agility, and of course daring.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #45
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
All of this seems in keeping with the swashbuckling way, which is usually about cunning, agility, and of course daring.
Oh ho, best post of the thread!

Of course, if the GM is 'one of those' types, then the next group of bandits will just shoot everyone while they are down, because of course word got around somehow. But, at least you'll (to the OP) know where you stand GM-wise.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #46
martinl

Quote:
There's also Acting. ... Then, when the archers see you're all down...
You release the bees?
Quote:
you can use Acrobatic Stand to dazzle them by leaping to your feet . . . or show off your skill at arms by stabbing them from your back at -4.
...Aww. OK, that might work too.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #47
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post

(SNIP)

What can I do?
-Hide
Get horses, or comparable mounts? Close the distance, in a hurry. Get destriers trained to slam, bite and stomp, and the archers' lives start to suck.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #48
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post

You release the bees?
Not the bees!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg not_the_bees_1395966216.jpg (41.0 KB, 130 views)
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:14 AM   #49
Hide

Thanks you all for your comments, let's see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Get horses, or comparable mounts? Close the distance, in a hurry. Get destriers trained to slam, bite and stomp, and the archers' lives start to suck.
Do archers get a bonus when I charge against them? For example, I remember that guys with a long weapons get bonuses if enemies with shorter weapons charge at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathulhu View Post
(...) Soak the arrows until you die and surrender/talk to them. When I say "just die" I mean let the GM have his fun and kill, or cripple, the characters. I hope he has an interesting plan for the characters after that. (...)
Ha! (no sarcasm). I did not consider this, it could be an interesting way to probe the GM's plans about the campaign indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti View Post
Get proper armor. If they're shooting 1d+1 imp arrows at you, and you have DR 5 heavy mail over DR 2 layered cloth, they're out of luck.
Do arrows with armor divisor bonuses apply their effects when you employ metal armor?

Quote:
There's also Acting. Focus on dodging that first arrow. But whether it's a near miss or a potential hit that you dodge, keel over "dead." (...) All of this seems in keeping with the swashbuckling way, which is usually about cunning, agility, and of course daring. (...)
Acting in a fight, this way of handling combat opens another niche indeed, thank you!

- Hide
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:30 AM   #50
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Do archers get a bonus when I charge against them?
No. Range penalties decrease with range, but otherwise they don't get any bonuses.
Quote:
For example, I remember that guys with a long weapons get bonuses if enemies with shorter weapons charge at them.
I don't know what this is referring to. The opposite is certainly true: weapons with Reach either can't hit closer targets at all, or can at a steep penalty depending on whether the Close Combat technique is being used in the campaign.

Quote:
Do arrows with armor divisor bonuses apply their effects when you employ metal armor?
Yes, that's what armor divisors do.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote