Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #21
Anthony

Default Re: Military roleplaying: line troops or special operations?

Another side note: you can have line troops who happen to be exceptional. If someone notices, they may get promoted into some unit that will take greater advantage, but that can be part of a campaign.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #22
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Another side note: you can have line troops who happen to be exceptional. If someone notices, they may get promoted into some unit that will take greater advantage, but that can be part of a campaign.
Or they happen to have washed out of Ranger school because they wore the wrong boots, or out of SAR training because of a ruptured ear drum, or out of SEAL training because they didn't get a waver for colorblindness, etc.

But those people are still going to be normal adventurer level characters with 200+ point sheets, not the 25-50 point characters the people who love low level games go for.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #23
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Or they happen to have washed out of Ranger school because they wore the wrong boots, or out of SAR training because of a ruptured ear drum, or out of SEAL training because they didn't get a waver for colorblindness, etc.

But those people are still going to be normal adventurer level characters with 200+ point sheets, not the 25-50 point characters the people who love low level games go for.
Note: You can do an "Average Joe" campaign with way more than 25-50 points.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Yeah, it's pretty hard to make an "ordinary" Paratrooper or Marine for that little.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #25
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
You'll find that a lot of the crowd who go into the low level stuff are really saying they're playing around that point, or not much higher.

I have no taste for it, I'll go as low as playing a 150 point character, but I won't touch a campaign below that.

Especially since those games tend to be things like 40 points base with a 20 point disad max, welcome to the shallow end of the gene pool...
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #26
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
You'll find that a lot of the crowd who go into the low level stuff are really saying they're playing around that point, or not much higher.

I have no taste for it, I'll go as low as playing a 150 point character, but I won't touch a campaign below that.

Especially since those games tend to be things like 40 points base with a 20 point disad max, welcome to the shallow end of the gene pool...
Well I suppose I'm a funny bird then. Because I've never played in a high starting point game. I've never played a 400+cp game, for example. The highest starting point level I've ever played was 250cp. Generally, I'm at 150cp. Though I've also done 75cp. But 25-50cp? Not in 4th Ed for me.

Maybe I'm an "average starting point" sort of person.

Oh...and B10 describes 25points as "small children" -- just don't figure it is a useful full time starting level for soldiers for me.

I could see starting my players off with 25pts if they actually were 8 year old kids...and then quickly giving them more points as they grow...but it basically goes against my suspension of disbelief for competent, realistic people with the breadth of skills I like PCs to have (to include Area Knowledges, Hobby Skills, and things many see as "wasted points") to have only 50cps.

But then, I'm not a member of the cult stat normalization and tend to have very skill heavy games.

Last edited by trooper6; 07-14-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #27
ak_aramis

While I've had 25 point PC's in games I've run, that was under 1E, and the value of points really started to change in the era of 3rd ed, and upped again notably with 4th...

A 1E to Early 3E, 50 point base, 4/40 disads game is VERY playable, especially with the 2xAge in skills limit. A buddy of mine ran that baseline for an active duty vietnam game... rules 3E (pre revised 3E). Average age was 18. Average disad set was a duty, a sense of duty, an addition (tobacco, weed, or booze), and one psychological one. Age range of starting PC's was 18-24... Worked fine. Especially since the ugly stat creep of G:SO was not yet seen. GM also required at least Age in points be spent on skills. This also applied to NPCs, so his typical VC 15 yo 25pt had 10+disads for stats... You wind up with 50pt PC's having stats in the 10-12 range, an advantage, and lots of skills in the 10-14 range.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #28
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
While I've had 25 point PC's in games I've run, that was under 1E, and the value of points really started to change in the era of 3rd ed, and upped again notably with 4th...

A 1E to Early 3E, 50 point base, 4/40 disads game is VERY playable, especially with the 2xAge in skills limit. A buddy of mine ran that baseline for an active duty vietnam game... rules 3E (pre revised 3E). Average age was 18. Average disad set was a duty, a sense of duty, an addition (tobacco, weed, or booze), and one psychological one. Age range of starting PC's was 18-24... Worked fine. Especially since the ugly stat creep of G:SO was not yet seen. GM also required at least Age in points be spent on skills. This also applied to NPCs, so his typical VC 15 yo 25pt had 10+disads for stats... You wind up with 50pt PC's having stats in the 10-12 range, an advantage, and lots of skills in the 10-14 range.
Yeah, though the switches from 3e to 4e has really changed point values....especially for attributes. With 50 base, 40/5 disads and the 2xAge skill limit, and the existence of 1/2 points in skills. You could have a 11 ST, 11 IQ, 12 DX, 11 HT [50], Spend 36pts on Skills will the option have having quite a few 1/2 points on Background skills...and still have 9cps left over.

That same character in 4e...the attributes are going to cost 80cp...leaving only 15cp for skills...and all the 1/2 pt background skills are going to have to be dropped or up to 1 full point...that 50cp just doesn't go as far in 4e as it does in 3e.

Sometimes I think people who have really internalized Xcp limits in 3e--and have moral or identity attachments to those cp levels (i.e. I only play low level games because I am x or I only play high level games because low level games are for people who are like y), sometimes have a hard time adjusting to the new cp level paradigm.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #29
Anthony

A lot of the expectation of needing high points is inflation of expected stats and skills. You can have a plausible enough grunt with:
ST 11 (lifting ST +3) [19]
DX 10 [0]
IQ 9 [-20]
HT 10 [0]
Fit [5]
Guns(Rifle)-12[4]
Hiking-9 [1]
Savoir-Faire(Military)-10[1]
Wealth: Struggling [-10]

Total 0 points. Sure, it's not a particularly heroic character, but it's plenty to count as a 'regular' by 3e mass combat standards, or as 'average' troops by 4e mass combat.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #30
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Total 0 points. Sure, it's not a particularly heroic character, but it's plenty to count as a 'regular' by 3e mass combat standards, or as 'average' troops by 4e mass combat.
It's missing Soldier, the Guns skill doesn't match Tactical Shooting's levels for trained infantry, and nobody becomes an infantryman in a 20th-21st century military without some kind of background skills or at least Dabbler perks.

OTOH, I'm not sure why you think that infantry needs lifting ST 14, some might have it, but it's definitely unusual.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
military, wwii