Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #1
Devil_Dante

Default Auto damage calculation tool (WIP)

Hello there!
I’d wish to know if you are interested in a damage tracker application.
Last week, for fun, I started writing some code to track the damage dealt by players to enemies. Not because doing some math is bad, but just because I could do it. At the beginning, I was just trying to find an application like this, but didn’t find anything, so idecided to code it by myself. One week later, I have written a fairly big code, much bigger than I would’ve imagine. Point is, I only have scripts (wrote in Python), so not very user friendly. But I’m planning to implement them into a user interface (GUI). I’m not an expert, but I’m studying a bit. So, in case you are interested, I’ll edit this thread.
Anyway, let me describe what this script does.
1. First of all, you need to create a database of monsters. It’s a generic database (in excel) where you will extract the monsters you need for a specific encounter. You have the name of the monster as first column, write in this format nameofthemonster_n where n is a sequential number. For example: zombie_1, zombie_2.
• HP_total (I tend to use the “brittle” disadv, so you see generally twice the hp the enemy should have)
• HP_current
• Unliving: yes or no
• Ablative_armor: because I tend to use it a lot, I implemented
• DR_bodypart: this is splitted into the 8 locations (body, head, arms/legs, hands/feet, neck, skull and vitals). There is an “Average dr” too, used for “large area injuries” as for grenade, that is the mean of all DR.
2. Then, the second script, let you choose the enemies for the encounters, writing all the names. You will create a dataset only with the chosen enemies.
3. The third script is the one who make calculation from the user’s inputs.
• First input is the type of attack: cutting, imp, pen (all 4 kinds), burning, crushing or explosive. Aside from exploding (see later):
• Choose the enemy hit by the attack
• Choose the body part hit
• Choose vulnerability applied
• Results: you see the damage dealt (and updating the encounter dataset), based on type of attack and body part hit. In case of unliving enemies, calculation is included. In case of semi ablative armor, for every 10 damages dealt before RD, that very body part will have its DR reduced by 1, updating the DR average. You can read everything from the print
4. In case of explosive damage:
• You’ll choose the numbers of enemies hit
• For every enemy, enter the enemy name and the distance from the center of explosion. The damage is calculated based on “Average DR” (as for large area injuries). Ablative is taken in account, updating the DR_average.
• Next step is to choose if fragmentation does apply. Yes or no.
• If yes, you will choose for every enemy the number of fragments hit, the vulnerability (if applies) and the damage
• Ablative is taken in account
• The encounter dataset is updated

Next steps:
• Comment all code. I’m a beast of satan. No line commented.
• Implement a “User interface” to make it user friendly. Will need time, because I have to study a little bit how to do it

Next next steps: Implementing a vocal command option. This will be a long way task, because isn’t easy. But it’s a nice challenge.

As said before, if you are interested, I can share the scripts with you. So, maybe you can try it and give me some feedback, helping me find any bug.
Devil_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:51 PM   #2
Polkageist

Default Re: Auto damage calculation tool (WIP)

Beware of licensing, beeewaaaaaare!

Ahem. Anyway, I'd reach out to the dude who maintains the GURPS Calculator page (@GURPSCalculator on twitter I believe) and maybe the GCS (GURPS Character Sheet) dude?

Plus, I think some SJGames person would answer an email about how to properly license, or attribute, or use that info.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:01 PM   #3
Devil_Dante

License?
am I doing something wrong? :O

But I'm not that dude. Just a gurps fan who tries to help community :)
Old 07-08-2021, 06:49 AM   #4
Devil_Dante

App is almost finished. Just need to make it looking better
Old 07-08-2021, 07:40 AM   #5
Polkageist

Oh hey, missed this popping up.

So, for example, there's a treasure generator app out there and one of the drawbacks to it is that it can't expose publicly the database of treasure tables since those tables are the text and values from the various GURPS books. So, since you mention a database of monsters you might be running afoul of the same issue.

http://www.sjgames.com/general/online_policy.html

You should read that page in detail.

Also, ask SJGames! They'll answer, they want to answer, they would LOVE to help you make good choices!
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #6
Devil_Dante

Thank you! I will try to contact them when the app will be finished.

In any case, if someone is interested in helping me finishing off it, i'll appreciate it. First time doing that ^_^
Old 07-15-2021, 03:47 AM   #7
Devil_Dante

link to google drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...zC?usp=sharing

almost finished