Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Rasputin

Default Swarm initiative

Simple question: where does a swarm fall in the turn sequence? It lacks a Basic Speed stat.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Swarm initiative

with swarms, don't the individual units of the swarm have a Basic Speed? I know they have a Basic Move.

My ruling: If the swarm (or its individual components) have DX and HT scores, derive the Speed from them. Worst case scenario, use the Move of the swarm; if the Move is something abyssal, like Move 1 or Move 2, add +1d to the Move to get the Speed (to put it more in-touch with PCs).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Simple question: where does a swarm fall in the turn sequence? It lacks a Basic Speed stat.
What makes you think they don't have a Basic Speed stat? The examples in Basic (bats, bees and rats) should have Speed equal to their constituent members (an unfortunate oversight that it's not listed.) The Insect Swarm in DF5 has a Speed score, as does the Flutter Devil in Creatures of the Night 4.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
What makes you think they don't have a Basic Speed stat? The examples in Basic (bats, bees and rats) should have Speed equal to their constituent members (an unfortunate oversight that it's not listed.)
Isn't the lack of one in the examples in Basic enough reason to think they lack a Basic Speed? The swarm in DF 5 is built with points and this more detailed than the ones in Basic; I don't have CotN4 and thus cannot say what is up with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
with swarms, don't the individual units of the swarm have a Basic Speed? I know they have a Basic Move.
I was thinking of reverse-engineering from Move: straight Move for ground swarms, half Move for air ones. But I wondered if someone had addressed the matter elsewhere.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

What's the move of comparably sized insects?
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
Rendu

A swarm seems to me to be more of an environmental hazard than an opponent. If you're in the swarm, you take damage. So, what's the Basic Speed of a fire? Since there is reduced damage for spending only part of your turn in a fire hex (i.e.not ending your turn in one), I'd say that the swarm attack happens LAST. Call it Basic Speed 0, if you need to be numerical. (And yes, reducing damage for moving THROUGH a swarm hex seems perfectly reasonable.)
Rendu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendu View Post
A swarm seems to me to be more of an environmental hazard than an opponent. If you're in the swarm, you take damage. So, what's the Basic Speed of a fire? Since there is reduced damage for spending only part of your turn in a fire hex (i.e.not ending your turn in one), I'd say that the swarm attack happens LAST. Call it Basic Speed 0, if you need to be numerical. (And yes, reducing damage for moving THROUGH a swarm hex seems perfectly reasonable.)
However, unlike a fire, a swarm is activly trying to hurt you. I'm not sure if I'd give 1/2 damage for just moving through a swarm hex. Also, don't forget armor protects compleatly for a few turns 1st.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendu View Post
But swarms move around (unlike most fires, at least in combat time). So the question is: when do they resolve their movement?
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #9
trechriron

I would say that most swarms are reactive. They are pursuing a) intruders b) food or c) they are simply migrating in one direction (ala ants).

I would have them simply act last. Have them react to what everyone else does. For instance, if two PCs jump into a lake, one runs screaming down the road, and the other lights up a torch, I would chase down the screaming not on fire not submerged running meat sack. You know, the one with the built in dinner bell?

If it's a swarm of ants just moving along the jungle, they only affect PCs standing in the path (maybe very close by, probably hard to stand next to a swarm of migrating army ants and expect them to stay in "formation").

Also, when ever there's a question of who goes first, I lean towards the PCs acting first. It's just good GM business IMHO.
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Why is everyone seeming to confuse move with speed?
Insects often move rather slowly, but have very fast reaction times.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
initiative, swarm