Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #41
PTTG

Default Re: GURPS Star Trek (DS9 era)

How about a Hologram template? It seems that they become sentient and go through the traditional Pinocchio complex without much comment.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #42
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
How about a Hologram template? It seems that they become sentient and go through the traditional Pinocchio complex without much comment.
Making them truly sapient leads to the Star Trek setting "good guys" being horror inducing mass murderers. If your past time involve creating, torturing, and killing people, then you sure as hell ain't the good guys.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #43
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Making them truly sapient leads to the Star Trek setting "good guys" being horror inducing mass murderers. If your past time involve creating, torturing, and killing people, then you sure as hell ain't the good guys.
A hologram needs to be programmed with sapience for this to become an issue. Or, it could just be an EMH that runs almost continually for 7 years...
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #44
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
A hologram needs to be programmed with sapience for this to become an issue. Or, it could just be an EMH that runs almost continually for 7 years...
Every single instance in STNG shows holographic characters having the same level of self awareness as any other human.
Moriarty was specifically made insanely intelligent enough to deduce hidden truths. Being Illuminated is not necessary for sapience.

Then again, as much as I loved that show growing up, it did have a disturbing lack of care for huge death tolls on par with Star Wars.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #45
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Every single instance in STNG shows holographic characters having the same level of self awareness as any other human.
Moriarty was specifically made insanely intelligent enough to deduce hidden truths. Being Illuminated is not necessary for sapience.

Then again, as much as I loved that show growing up, it did have a disturbing lack of care for huge death tolls on par with Star Wars.
If I remember Moriarty wasn't intended to be intelligent and when they found out that they had created a sophant hologram they stored him in the memory banks until they could figure out what to do with him. Effectively like a baby born with a crippled immune system that has to stay in a clean room all his life.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #46
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
If I remember Moriarty wasn't intended to be intelligent and when they found out that they had created a sophant hologram they stored him in the memory banks until they could figure out what to do with him. Effectively like a baby born with a crippled immune system that has to stay in a clean room all his life.
"Treated like a mushroom" while everyone ignores the implications that holograms have thoughts and feelings makes the whole issue worse in my opinion.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:40 AM   #47
CaelibDarkstone

Wow, that's more discussion on phasers than I expected. You folks are good at quick but detailed analysis.

I would attribute the appearance that phasers usually end the fight to liberal application of the one-hit mooks rule. When it comes to main characters, this is not necessarily the case. Most noticeably, in the Enterprise episode "Twilight", T'Pol and Phlox go down after 1 hit, but Archer keeps going after multiple wounds. Further, most people who survive regular phaser pistol blasts recover without serious medical intervention, unlike with a TL 8 weapon. When the Jem'Hadar make weapons that can cause lasting harm that can't be solved with First Aid in "The Ship", it surprises the crew.

Honestly, I would prefer a TL 8 pistol to the phasers in Star Trek. For one thing, phasers seem much more awkward to aim.

Stuns seem much more reliable than the kill setting though, though. I will probably go back and adjust the HT roll on stun and damage slightly. The idea of increasing the RoF slightly to account for a beam makes sense.

Chandley is definitely right about the weights being off. I'll adjust those down.
CaelibDarkstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:37 AM   #48
TheRedArmy

If you can spare $20, consider GURPS Prime Directive. Although its set in Kirk's era, much of the information is useful, and you can likely plug in much of it without fuss.
TheRedArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #49
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedArmy View Post
If you can spare $20, consider GURPS Prime Directive. Although its set in Kirk's era, much of the information is useful, and you can likely plug in much of it without fuss.
In my experience, the amount of fuss is on the same level as it is for my Last Unicorn Games, FASA, and Decipher resources, and they're not even GURPS. So, I don't recommend GUPRS Prime Directive over any of the others. Don't get me wrong, the amount of fuss isn't egregious (this is GURPS after all—if you know what you want in a real-world sense, GURPS allows you to stat it up). But, don't expect GUPRS Prime Directive to be something you can use "out-of-the-box"; plan on having to tweek every single item in it that is given GURPS stats: templates, weapons, everything.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #50
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
plan on having to tweek every single item in it that is given GURPS stats: templates, weapons, everything.
Why is that, exactly? 3e -> 4e differences, or you didn't like the way they did things, or some other reason?
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
star trek