Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-21-2020, 07:57 AM   #11
Tinman

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Gunslinger

I've had a few. The most memorable was MH Commando. He was fun & was able to keep up with the spell casters for damage.

In general however, I prefer the Close-Quaters Battle technique.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:33 AM   #12
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
The problem with Gunslinger (and to a lesser but non-trivial extent, Trained by a Master and Weapon Master) in GURPS is of course that it mostly gives, in effect, situational bonuses to specific combat skills - and very often, one could get as much or more by dumping 24 points into one's best Guns skill and riding the defaults train from there.
Depends on how specialized you want to be. A sniper may want to take Gunslinger (Rifles Only, -40%) or even Gunslinger (Sniper Rifles Only, -60%)... suddenly you're down to 8 or 12 points.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #13
Sorenant

One of my first characters was a sniper so I picked this advantage. At first I just wanted to make him a good rifleman but because Gunslinger gives good bonus to pistols, he ended up looking like a good old CS 1.6 character with a sniper rifle and desert eagle.
Later I found that Gun-Fu comes with limitations that could have allowed me to specialize in rifles and I've been happy to allow it in my games ever since, as it help shooters from differing from each other.

Pyramid #3/107 effectively merges Gunlinger with Guns! wildcard skill. I really like the idea and want to eventually try it out (I don't normally use wildcards).
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #14
Refplace

I've played at least two Gunslingers and it seems fairly common in a modern or SciFi campaign. Had several other players take it as well.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:21 PM   #15
awesomenessofme1

Even in its original form, it's possibly worth it in an UT setting where your typical pistol will have Acc of 8+ and your typical rifle with have an Acc/2 of 6+.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:46 AM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

In the last two sessions of my Space Operators' Problems campaign, we have a case that a Gunslinger (limited to specific rifle type) is pretty effective in free fall despite not having a high Free Fall skill, specifically due to 'outsourcing' the pluses into Gunslinger's half-Acc bonus instead of just buying more Guns (Rifle).
Old 11-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #17
Rolando

I have a player with gunslinger, its a Mecha campaign and I allowed it for Mecha weaponry only (gunnery and beams, no artillery).

I'm not very concerned about balance but I believe it worked fine, not overpowered nor lacking in use. There is a lot of action outside the mechas though..
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:20 PM   #18
Christopher R. Rice

The Sharpshooter enhancement form GURPS Monster Hunter Power-Ups 1 (p. 14) adds some more utility to Gunslinger

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #19
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
The Sharpshooter enhancement form GURPS Monster Hunter Power-Ups 1 (p. 14) adds some more utility to Gunslinger
I found that overpriced, for the same reason there was an issue with the original writeup of Gunslinger. 20 points is the equivalent of +5 to a Guns skill, which seems a lot more generally useful when you already have Gunslinger than an additional +Acc/2 in certain situations.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:53 PM   #20
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
I found that overpriced, for the same reason there was an issue with the original writeup of Gunslinger. 20 points is the equivalent of +5 to a Guns skill, which seems a lot more generally useful when you already have Gunslinger than an additional +Acc/2 in certain situations.
I suppose that could be the case given certain types of games. I don't know of GMs who would let you sink tons of points in Guns skill(s). In games where the GM says "No skills over X" Gunslinger becomes quite the prize because it is (as you note) effectively a bonus to Guns in certain situations plus gives you access to certain traits that most folks can't get. You can't just look at it as "raw skill vs. Gunslinger" for the same reason you can't look at Trained by a Master or Weapon Master that way.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage of the week, gunslinger