Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 03-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #281
swordtart

Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
I'm pretty sure it was directly stated that these were not AADA approved.
AADA only applies to arena duels. I don't envisage a family runabout to be entering formal AADA sanctioned duels. For road scenarios they would be legit (or BLUD, or "do what thou wilt").
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #282
swordtart

Family Runabout Compact by Swordtart:
Compact; Standard chassis; Improved suspension;
100 cid Engine w/Overdrive; 4 gal. Hvy-Duty tank;
4 HD tires.
Driver.
1s Pintle T with Swing Out Roof Mounting, Machine Gun w/20xStandard.
Sunroof; Car Top Carrier - 2 space with 5 pts armour;
3 x Passenger.
Armour 18 pts. Metal and 80 pts. Plastic (F: 3/15 R: 3/15 L: 3/15 B: 3/15 T: 3/10 U: 3/10).
Cargo 2 spaces, 93lb.
Cost: $8,355, Wgt: 3,629, HC: 2, Top Speed: 62.5 (82.5), Accel: 5 (2.5).

Representative of many small family vehicles from the early years, the Compact Runabout is capable of withstanding low intensity engagements in town and also for limited cross country travel if motorcycle gangs are your most likely foe.

It is unlikely to survive in combat vs. a full duelling vehicle, but fortunately is equally unlikely to be challenged by such a vehicle, being an unworthy opponent, the lack of any visible weaponry also tends to prevent "preventative" engagements.

The runabout comes with a generous space and weight allowance (for its class), for luggage or personal equipment (and vehicles of this type rely on fully armed passengers contributing to any incidents that occur). You may of course choose to dedicate this capacity to upgrades.

The pintle mounted MG is generally mounted facing to the rear to discourage pursuit. The patent swing-out roof mounting allows compact stowage of the weapon and pintle inside the vehicle until needed and the car top carrier is configured unconventionally to provide concealment for the sunroof and some protection for the sunroof gunner when the pintle is deployed .

Fully legal using standard components this is as close as I could get to the Wysocki vehicle.

I like that it is a compact (-1 to hit always helps) as the Wysockis looked pretty squeezed in (even a midsize has too much internal space for it to be credible). The metal skin will shrug off most small arms fire and even blunt single dice weapons, against heavier stuff it will fail pretty quickly.

The use of all pedestrian weaponry is a limitation, but the fact you can get up to 4 firing actions makes up for it somewhat. With over 90lb to play with that means everyone could have something meaty (if you are using alt encumbrance). Alternatively you could fit dischargers to give the dirver something to do.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:33 AM   #283
Racer

Sandcrab Highway 2066 - Medium Trike , Hvy Chassis , Hvy Suspension , Large Cycle PP w/HTMs & 10pts Component Armour , 3 OR PR Cycle Tires , Cyclist w/SWC & 10pts Component Armour , VMG Left w/10pts CA , Link VMG-HTMs , Plastic Armour : F30 , L32 , R15 , B30 , T10 , U10 , 1-5pt CWG Front , 2-5pt Wheel Guards Back , Acceleration 5mph - 10mph w/HTMs , Top Speed 92.5mph , HC 2 ( on or off Road ) , 2,310lbs , $8,894 .

Main criticism of original model was two weapons & no Gunner . Placement of the armament also meant the inaccurate RL was often the one facing attackers . Body has been remodeled with the VMG in a wider firing angle , backed by a SWC . Under used RL replaced with a Fake for camouflaging improvements . Extensive Component Armour & Wheel Protection vastly increase staying power & strengthened Chassis increases Armour weight by 70% . Added basic Off Road capacity rounds off the 2066 design & steady sales of the Trike are expected . ( Newer 2069 model features Sloped Armour . )

[ Original had too much weaponry & far too little Armour . Adding a FE is too greater weight , so Volatile RL deleted & I suggest a PFE is carried . Huge VMG arc facing on coming traffic can lead to some nice point blank shooting ... Doubling(+) Front , Back & Left Armours , plus completely Component Armouring internals roughly quadruples combat survival times to gunfire ! Spare Space can be used to Slope Armour , but left that out of the '66 to preserve likeness to the original . ]

Last edited by Racer; 03-15-2019 at 01:41 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:36 AM   #284
swordtart

Burner Redux by Swordtart:
Heavy Cycle; Cycle chassis; Heavy suspension;
100 cid Engine w/Tubes, VP Turbo;
4 gal. Duelling tank;
2 PR tires;
Driver;
Light Machine Gun w/20xStandard, F;
Armour 35 pts. FP (F: 15 R: 0 L: 0 B: 20 T: 0 U: 0);
1x8 pt. FP Guards F; 1x8 pt. FP Guards B;
1x1 pt., 2 spc. FP CA (Driver);
1x5 pt., 2 spc. FP CA (Plant).
Cost: $9,715, Wgt: 1,295, HC: 2, Top Speed: 135, Accel: 20.

When the Flechette Gun was first introduced it was heralded as an effective anti-personnel and anti-tire weapon. The Light Machine Gun has however largely displaced the weapon since it has broadly comparable damage potential and is effective against vehicular components.

We lightened the front and rear armour a touch in order to protect the previously exposed rider against burst effects and added some much needed fireproofing to the gas plant.

Little tweaks can make all the difference.

The entry for the Burner in VG2 states 150 cid plant, but this makes the vehicle overweight and the performance stats incorrect.
Mostly I adjusted this one just to make it legal, but the FG has always annoyed me ;) With 2 whole spaces free it seemed silly not to to add some rudimentary protection with component armour. 1 point isn't a lot, but it is proof against burst effects, light handguns, and means the rider is no longer exposed.

Last edited by swordtart; 03-16-2019 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Removal of potential IP material (SJG didn't ask or require me to do this, before anyone leaps to conclusions)
Old 03-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #285
Racer

Most would replace the FG with a 2nd LMG and Smartlink (Link?) them both together . Flechette Guns died a death everyone started using Tire protection ( DOUBLE Tire protection and/or Plasticores if they suspected a Tire Shooting Player ) and Pedestrians rediscovered the overlapping Shield Wall using Riot Shields ... Even Vehicular Shot Guns with Anti Personal Ammo is a better option ...
Old 03-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #286
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Most would replace the FG with a 2nd LMG and Smartlink (Link?) them both together . Flechette Guns died a death everyone started using Tire protection ( DOUBLE Tire protection and/or Plasticores if they suspected a Tire Shooting Player ) and Pedestrians rediscovered the overlapping Shield Wall using Riot Shields ... Even Vehicular Shot Guns with Anti Personal Ammo is a better option ...
Confused, 2nd LMG? That would need a lot of other stuff taken out.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #287
swordtart

Citizen Redux by Swordtart:
Medium Cycle; Cycle chassis; Heavy suspension;
Small Cycle PP w/HTMs, Overdrive;
2 PR tires; HD Shocks, HD Brakes;
Driver;
2 x linked Light Machine Gun each with 20 x Standard; Cycle Blades.
Armour: 26 pts. Plastic (F: 16 R: 0 L: 0 B: 10 T: 0 U: 0);
1x10 pt. Plastic Guards F; 1x10 pt. Plastic Guards B.
Cost: $6,286, Wgt: 1,100, HC: 2, Top Speed: 95 (70, 115), Accel: 5 (10, 2.5).

The Citizen Redux replaces the obsolete FG with LMGs as a simple refit. The example above also includes the recommended wheel guards and takes the opportunity to upgrade the motors, brakes and shock absorbers to improve your driving experience.

Some fairly obvious improvements, but at a fairly stiff price tag. I think my next batch will be cheaper 'n dirt ;)
Old 03-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #288
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Confused, 2nd LMG? That would need a lot of other stuff taken out.
Fromt Flechette Gun on the Cycle removed & replaced by a LMG . Then Link or Smartlink (depending on which way the wording is interpretated) it to Front mounted LMG on the Sidecar .

[EDIT] Ah sorry , I misread your Burner post due to tiny writing on my small phone screen . To be honest the way you present the design stats makes it harder for me , after getting used to CWC2.5 and Combat Garage way of doing it ... My fault not yours .

I had thought the second post was FOR THE SIDECAR , and didn't look past 'LMG Front' ... my AADA VG2 has been shredded down the years & none of Cycle pages are now in the folder I keep it in . I have asked a couple of times for help on the Forum , but no one posted any of original Cycle designs or the first page of the Trikes . Mind you the Flame Arrow X-Hvy Trike & the other one were pretty useless & no great loss to me ...

Apologies again for all the confusion - I was very tired & could hardly read the screen ...

( Burner Side Car had a FCE if I recall correctly now ? )

Last edited by Racer; 03-15-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:13 AM   #289
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Apologies again for all the confusion - I was very tired & could hardly read the screen ...

( Burner Side Car had a FCE if I recall correctly now ? )
No worries. I generate my designs on the laptop using the CWVD (as I like to have them offline for games) and that is pretty much the default summary format. At some point I need to get them into the format of the VGs.

Normally I wouldn't quote a design from the VG as it would doubtless violate IP somewhere. In this case as I had adjusted the design to make it legal, I thought I should put up the corrected design for clarity before I posted the variant, in retrospect as the change was very minor, it might still infringe someones IP (and made the post unclear). I have therefore removed that part of the post.

With a change of plant, weapon and extra components added and armour removed I am happy that the Redux constitutes a new design and is therefore fair game for publishing in this forum.

And yes, the burner sidecar had an FCE and a SD.

Last edited by swordtart; 03-16-2019 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #290
swordtart

Something for the flyboys.

Convoy Support Autogyro by Swordtart:
Small Microplane; Autogyro Mod
Pilot; BA + ABV
Microplane Propeller with Ducted Cowling
PP 100 cid; 5 Gal HD Fuel Tank;
HD Cycle Tyres x 3; 3 x Cycle WG x 1pt
Bomb Rack; 3 x 100lb Cluster Bomb; 250lb Cluster Bomb
Link
Armour: 30 pts Plastic (25 U, all other 1)
Cargo 294lb.
Cost: $7935; Weight: 2026lb; HC 3; Stall Speed 20; Acc 5 (rising to 10 when a single bomb release or 15 when all are dropped).

Handy for scoping out the road ahead and dropping a little aggro on the ground-lings, this no-frills autogyro is built to a budget. Stay high where their guns can't reach, they wont be so lucky as gravity works FOR your weapons. Don't expect to take on anything airborne as it will wipe the floor with you.

With cluster bombs as long as you can hit the ground - and you can ALWAYS hit the ground, you are making a contribution, make those infantry "duck and cover." Restocking won't break the bank either.

Use the ABV to carry coloured smoke to signal your buddies on the ground and maybe get a parachute in case.

Feel like an upgrade? The gas plant provides plenty of spare load capacity for you to upgrade the armour, load up with grenades or even just pig out at the hog roast. We recommend staying under 294 lb if you want full performance once your bomb load is dropped, but the max all up weight is a generous 2990lb.

Forgive the odd format, but as there is no handy Aeroduel designer, I had to make do with pasting from Excel.

With aircraft, top speed and Acc is quite hard to do. The plant is powerful enough to allow quite a few extras for the pilot or even extra armour if that floats your boat (or sinks your Helo - wait... nope that is wrong at so many levels)

Of course sometimes you may see one of these way up high and out of range (and arc) and you may think - yaaah, so what. Then a tiny puff of red blossoms under it* and the next thing you know, a dozen half-crazed bikers pour out from over the hill and you realise that this guy is spotting for them. All with a 20 buck smoke grenade ;)

*We assume that in car radios are very short range tactical nets and Captain Gyro is waaaaaaay up out of range.