Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 02-01-2015, 02:13 AM   #1
evikour

Default Hireling

Rules say you can play a Hireling card at any time. Since I can't equip/unequip items during battle, how can I use my Hireling in combat?Can I give him an item to carry after I have kicked the Door open?
evikour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Hireling

Your Hireling is not an Item and can be played at any time. You cannot give your Hireling an Item during combat, however.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:02 AM   #3
evikour

Let's say I already have a Hireling and I draw a Curse like Tiny Hands or Big Feet and there are no items affected by the curse in play at the time. What happens if later during the game, I draw an item card that fits the curse terms?Can I give them to my Hireling to hold since I can't?
What if I had such items in play when I drew the curse?Could I still give them to the Hireling to carry?
Old 02-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by evikour View Post
Let's say I already have a Hireling and I draw a Curse like Tiny Hands or Big Feet and there are no items affected by the curse in play at the time. What happens if later during the game, I draw an item card that fits the curse terms?Can I give them to my Hireling to hold since I can't?
What if I had such items in play when I drew the curse?Could I still give them to the Hireling to carry?
Obviously I'm not official, but my understanding of your latter question is that you would have to resolve the Curse before you could rearrange your items in any way.

The first I will not attempt without being able to look at the specific cards. IF your Hireling could still use items excluded by the Curse, I'd think there would be no problem with playing them directly to the Hireling. What I cannot judge without looking at the specific cards is whether the Curse keeps you from having such items in play at all, no matter where you put them.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:12 AM   #5
evikour

Thanks for your answer!
Still the whole thing is very vague in my mind..
If I get to have Tiny Hands by a curse does my Hireling gets as well?The curses affect him too?
And what if a curse affects an item the Hireling is carrying?Can I "discharge" the Hireling of the specific object and give him something else to carry? If the curse says I should discard the item do I lose the Hireling as well?
(If this topic is covered in the FAQ log please redirect me there.Thanks)
Old 02-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Hireling says, exactly, in English, "Allows you to carry and use one extra item, even if you could not otherwise."

Curse! Tiny Hands says, exactly, "You cannot carry any 2-handed item," which means you can't have one in play.

Because of what Hireling says, you can have a 2-handed Item as long as the Hireling is essentially carrying and using it for you.

When resolving a Curse like Curse! Tiny Hands, I have always ruled that people have some amount of time to make something legal. This is not the same as a Curse which says you must discard something, in which you have no chance to respond, just telling you what Items you may not carry.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
evikour

What about the Big Feet curse respectively? It says to throw away my feet equipment. If the Hireling is carrying such an item,do I get to keep it since I am not the one using it? If not,what happens to the Hireling card?
Moreover,can a Hireling carry and use an item that I couldn't otherwise use because of different Class/Race?
Thanks a lot again!

Last edited by evikour; 02-07-2015 at 03:47 PM.