Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
CarnivorouSwarm

Default Munchkin Cthulhu: The Monsters are OP?

Opinion question, I have the original munchkin set (with 2, 3, 4, and Monster Enhancers), Munchkin Fu, and Munchkin Cthulhu. I've played the original set the most, but after playing Munchkin Cthulhu five or six times I've found that its much more difficult to do well. Seems like the monsters are a bit overpowered, especially with some of those really mean curses like Curse! Weapon Becomes Evil floating around.

Anyone else agree, or is it just me and the luck of the draw? Alternatively, do the Cthulhu expansions seem to favor the players a bit more and even it out, or not so much? I love Lovecraft, so I figured I'd suck it up and get the expansions eventually, but it does seem to be the hardest set of the ones I have at the moment.
CarnivorouSwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
TheBiff

Default Re: Munchkin Cthulhu: The Monsters are OP?

I do agree Munchkin Cthulhu is a little more tough than other sets, however there are a lot of cards to be able to bring balance. Personally I think the set is more fun because of the difficulty. The expansions add to the madness but also add to the fun. If you are finding the set overly difficult it might be just a bad luck of the draw. Also remember you are playing a Cthulhu based deck so madness, terror, and being overwhelmed come with the territory.

The expansions bring many great cards, but for you and the monster. Beware of Cowthulhu.
Also Cthulhu 4 has some of the nastiest dungeons you will find.

Last edited by TheBiff; 08-23-2012 at 10:28 AM.
TheBiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Dr. Mauric

Yeah... the Dungeons are definitely tough.
Dr. Mauric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Shouldn't it be harder? CoC is to D&D as Munchkin Cthulhu is to Fantasy Munchkin, or something.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
CarnivorouSwarm

Yeah, fair enough, I'd agree that it makes sense for the Cthulhu version to be hard and unforgiving.

I just bought the Munchkinomicon recently, I'm assuming that'll pair pretty well with the Cthulhu set, yeah? Theme appropriate, and since it aids the players it might help combat some of the power balance problem. Haven't played with it yet, just read through the cards and the rules. Seems pretty cool.
CarnivorouSwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
Pleh

Last time I played Munchkin Cthulhu, the monsters were FAR from overpowered because almost everyone at the table was a Cultist for most of the game. Not to mention the fact that probably half the cards that affect class in that game turn you into a cultist. It was kind of hard to get out of being a cultist (not that too many people actually wanted to). Monsters in that game are kind of forced to be tougher so that they can actually threaten a table where all the players are getting a +6 bonus together (the number 6 was chosen at random) ON TOP of all the regular item bonuses they usually get.

Tags
cthulhu, curses, monsters, overpowered