Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Cleric Healing and Healing Potions curiosity

For those who like a little more color and distinction:

Chi Restoration
45 points

You can heal others by adjusting their chi, transferring some of your life energy to them by touching a few pressure points. Use the rules for Faith Healing (Adventurers, p. 21), but with these differences:
  • This healing works on any sapient (IQ 6+), living being.
  • The roll is against the higher of IQ or Pressure Points, plus Chi Talent. The modifiers described for Faith Healing apply normally.
  • The ability is subject the limitations in Chi Abilities (Adventurers, p. 30) instead of those under Holy Abilities (Adventurers, p. 20) – that is, your own chi must be in order.
Nature's Renewal
30 points

You can heal others by channeling Nature's strength into their bodies, "borrowing" a little life force from all around you. Use the rules for Faith Healing (Adventurers, p. 21), but with several important differences:
  • This healing works on anything alive, regardless of behavior!
  • The process requires half an hour, like bandaging (which can be done concurrently), not simply a Concentrate maneuver. Thus, it isn't useful in combat.
  • A healer's kit for Esoteric Medicine (Druidic) is required.
  • The roll is against Esoteric Medicine (Druidic) + Power Investiture (Druidic). The modifiers described for Faith Healing apply normally.
  • The ability is subject the limitations in Druidic Abilities (Adventurers, p. 23) instead of those under Holy Abilities (Adventurers, p. 20). Notably, where Nature is weak, rolls suffer the same penalties as druidic spells.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
For those who like a little more color and distinction:
Any chance we can see this written up over in the GURPS forum with your work shown Mr. Punch?

For I am lazy don't want to have to reverse-engineer them...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Here are all three abilities side by side for comparison:

Chi Restoration: Healing (Accessibility, Only on sapient beings, -20%; Chi, -10%; Xenohealing, Anything alive, +80%) [45].

Faith Healing: Healing (Faith Healing, +20%; Holy, -10%) [33].

Nature's Renewal: Healing (Accessibility, Requires material components*, -10%; Druidic, -10%; Immediate Preparation Required, 30 minutes†, -60%; Xenohealing, Anything alive, +80%) [30].
* See GURPS Powers, p. 116. This covers the healer's kit.

† See GURPS Power-Ups 8: Limitations, p. 14. Canonically, the levels are 1 minute (-30%), 10 minutes (-45%), 1 hour (-75%), and 8 hours (-90%). I wanted time equal to bandaging (30 minutes), so I arbitrarily slotted that in halfway between 10 minutes and 1 hour: (-45% + -75%)/2 = -60%.

I invoked Skills Enhancing Abiliies (GURPS Powers, p. 161) to arrive at "The roll is against the higher of IQ or Pressure Points" and "The roll is against Esoteric Medicine (Druidic)." As noted there, Talent adds to such skill rolls normally.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Canonically, the levels are 1 minute (-30%), 10 minutes (-45%), 1 hour (-75%), and 8 hours (-90%). I wanted time equal to bandaging (30 minutes), so I arbitrarily slotted that in halfway between 10 minutes and 1 hour: (-45% + -75%)/2 = -60%.
"Technically" (she said as she pushed her glasses up her nose by the bridge) "Technically the average of 10 minutes and 60 minutes is 35 minutes, not 30."

I'm annoyed because I can't remember how one would calculate that more precisely, not even the name of the technique. I haven't been in school for decades :P I doubt it's big enough to make a difference on a 30 point base trait, but not remembering is annoying me.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Well, when I say "halfway," I mean "halfway in discount size"; that is, the arithmetic mean of -45% and -75%, or -60%. I suppose I could have used the geometric mean instead (-58%), or harmonic mean (-56%), or logarithmic mean (-59%), or any number of other things, but -60% seems nice enough.

As for what that corresponds to given that the sequence is 1 minute (-30%), 10 minutes (-45%), 1 hour (-75%), 8 hours (-90%) . . . well, that's trickier, because that's a lousy sequence. You could fit it endless different ways. But 30 minutes is somewhere between the arithmetic (35 minutes) and geometric means (24 minutes) of 10 minutes and an hour, so close enough.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
Refplace

Thanks for posting the Under the Hood :)
Since this is the GURPS forum I'll ask something I wanted to on the other forum.
In that thread on healing you mentioned Breath Control healing FP used for powers. I thought that was prohibited?
Reason I mention and am curious is that Sorcery and other Power based 'magics' dont benefit from a lot of the stuff that regular spellcasters do. So they need to rest longer.
Regualr casters get reduction from skill, powerstones or power objects, Recover Energy, and ER.
Powers based casters only get ER. The 1 FP cost is a balanced trade off with skill reductions as they may have a wider variety of 1 FP spells so can possibly do more in a fight. Its the after recovery time I am looking at.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 03-29-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
In that thread on healing you mentioned Breath Control healing FP used for powers. I thought that was prohibited?
Only Fit/Very Fit is prohibited from affecting powers.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post

I know of no prohibitions of this kind. The GURPS Basic Set says only that you cannot combine this means of FP recovery with magic spells that restore FP. GURPS Powers doesn't once mention the skill in any context.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #9
JoelSammallahti

Good stuff. BTW, I've been thinking about letting _other_ players pitch in up to a combined 50% of the cost of Healing advantages, because they're likely the direct beneficiaries. Everyone who contributes at least 10% of the cost gets +1 to the roll when the ability is used on them.

I'm sure it'll break something. Whaddayawhaddaya.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #10
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Only Fit/Very Fit is prohibited from affecting powers.
Technically that only says 'psi or magic spells' in Basic, though it might be extended elsewhere.

Logically you'd really expect it to apply to, say, Biological powers. Though that would obviously be inappropriate in the case of Very Fit.