Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Astromancer

Default Transhumanism and Society

My thesis is simple, any really signifigant Transhuman breakthough would radically alter society. Radical alterations of society would radically transform the power relationships within and between societies. Radical transformations of power relationships eventually lead to war, both because those who've lost power try to regain it, and those who've gained power want to use it.

If I came up with a wide-spectrum vaccine that, as a side effect, both heightened stats (I'm going to use gamespeak) and radically increased longevity, both effects coming form the fact of a strengthened immune system allowing fuller developement of the child's natural capassities, all societies would experience great pressures to use the vaccine. As societies with national health care systems suddenly had poppulations that were stronger, smarter, thougher, more agile, and much longer lived, than those that didn't, they'd struge ahead. Poorer nations would have trouble providing the same benefits to all and the children who got the benefits would be far less willing to let their elders rule the roost and exploit the land. Somewhere there would be violence. And all for improved health.

More dramatic forms of Transhumanism would lead to war far more quickly and between greater powers.

Many of the world's present day cultures are suffering from failure to thrive. Lack of Democracy and/or civil liberities holds many lands back. Add in a vast new advantage to the wealthy democracies and the poor nations would being to crack from the sheer misery of being left out or the rage of the people at governments that will fight to the death to prevent democracy.

In this environment, Transhumanism is the harbinger of wars.

Ojections? Counter Arguements? Refinements to my thesis? General reactions?

Ancora Imparo