Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Aneirin

Default Possession limitations

Hello. How much would you value the following limitation on possession.

Only on allies.

This would prevent it being used against enemies, or being pulled out on the fly. The purpose of the power is to represent someone being able to slip into the minds of things he is close to. If other things want to be possessed, you buy more allies.

I was thinking of -60% as it takes a lot from prevention and turns limits it quite a bit. Should it be lower? Higher?
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Possession limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post
Hello. How much would you value the following limitation on possession.

Only on allies.

This would prevent it being used against enemies, or being pulled out on the fly. The purpose of the power is to represent someone being able to slip into the minds of things he is close to. If other things want to be possessed, you buy more allies.

I was thinking of -60% as it takes a lot from prevention and turns limits it quite a bit. Should it be lower? Higher?
That's Puppets only -30%, right from the Basic Set in the Special Modifiers for Possession. You also need to buy the Puppet Advantage.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Aneirin

I was afraid of that. Seems really difficult to make it affordable to have someone who can just slip into their dogs body. Telesend makes it 150 and with a backdoor it is 170, points, and animals only (-25%), allies only (-30%), no memory access (-10%) and it is still worth 105 points! Just to slip into the pet dog. (which also need to be bough as an ally and as a puppet...and mindlink if you want to be able to do it at range rising the points to 120...and as you fall asleep whilst doing it, it doesn't seem worth 120 points.

Maybe can do a limitation, only Fido -80%?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Bruno

You can't double-dip "only on subject type x" and Only on puppets; you already have to buy your puppets individually, only buying puppets in one category is something you do, not a limitation.

Only on Fido is just "Only on puppets" and only buying one puppet (fido).

Possession is expensive; It's meant to be so.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:58 AM   #5
kirbwarrior

One trick is to have Fido as an Ally and Alternate Form: Fido as alternative abilities. With the right limitations, you could get something similar to what you want using that.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
Aneirin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
You can't double-dip "only on subject type x" and Only on puppets; you already have to buy your puppets individually, only buying puppets in one category is something you do, not a limitation.

Only on Fido is just "Only on puppets" and only buying one puppet (fido).

Possession is expensive; It's meant to be so.
I does mean that I can't buy other puppets though. Making the chronic upgrade less useful except for meaning I don't need to re-roll for fido. I feel it is a little more severe than only on puppets which does let additional puppets be bought for 5 points.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #7
Tuoni

Can the puppets just decide that they aren't going to be posessed? As in, they have to willing allies "at the time of possession", and not just "when I buy them as a puppet"? So if someone convinces your allies that being possessed is a bad idea (via fast-talk, brainwashing, intimidation, etc) when you try to posses them, even if it is only temporarily, you are S.O.L.?

If so, that is definitely worth more then vanilla Puppet.

Edit: Although that could also be a limitation on Puppet (Mundane countermeasures). Which, if you have a lot of puppets, might be a better deal.
Tuoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Anyone thinking Possession is expensive to build should try assembling an Infomorph in THS.
You'll spend about 60 points just for the fact that you can inhabit your own bioshell.

And when you go out and shop for more shells, you have to get a Puppet Group, and for each shell you buy with money, you need an Ally.
Which is kinda okay if you're a modest person with 1-3 shells. But if you're a multimillionaire who collects them, you suddenly need to buy tens or even hundred of allies, in addition to paying with cash. Even though anyone can teleoperate a shell with proper software.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Aneirin

Never the less I am committed to making it an affordable option for players!

Possession
Possession - 100 points
Chronic (leaves a back door) +20%
No memory access -10%
Animals only – 25%
Allies only – 30%
Delayed onset (1 day) – 30%
Tele-control +50%
Unconscious only (puppets only) -14%
Takes extra time 2 - 20%
Uncontrollable -10%
Temporary disadvantage bestial -8%
Addictive -15%
Link (mindlink) +10%
Mindlink (only for possession of puppets) +4%

Total cost, 22%

Way this works, initially, with your animal ally when you stroke it the PC's roll IQ v will, being an animal will most likely succeed. Then a day later he falls asleep due to telecontrol and wakes in the animals body and buys it as a puppet due to backdoor.

Now, whenever he falls asleep, due to mind link he can possess it automatically regardless of range. If they spend 8 points they can control this with the dreaming skill (10 points to take away uncontrolable, but making it skill based as a -20%). It will cost 18 points to skinchange whilst awake (taking four seconds concentration before going inside).

If the player wants additional animals he will need to purchase them as allies, then puppets, and spend a few extra points on mindlink to increase how many he can mindlink to.

Tags
addiction, addictive