Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
sgtcallistan

Default Re: GURPS impulse purchases

Funny, now that you mention it...

The GURPS books I've bought on impulse (Russia, Japan, Medieval 1?, Cops, Who's Who), have always had an influence on my own-brew games.

I read them, recall some useful item when winging it as a GM, and things tend to gain a little more consistency because of it.

It seems to fit my GM style to have the books as a vague background knowledge.
'Cops' frex, gave me enough knowledge of the Japanese police system to do a short-notice improvised game based on the first 'Ring' movie, before anyone else in the group had seen it or the remakes.

Russia has informed how I play in another game, which is an iron-age celto-viking environment, in which I have a character who believes all the fear-and-wonder stories about the great beasts that live in the forests.

It always gets changed or filtered through my own mind, but the random books always have an effect.

GURPS: China, now; I went out of my way to obtain through ebay, spent much time on constructing a campaign and background, but have yet to persuade players to play it.
So it goes. :(
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #12
jacobmuller

I guess you could say that every book I've bought after Basic 3e is an impulse buy - and worth it.

I don't know whether I'd love or dread finding a 2h bookstore that sold GURPS books - I don't have that much storage space!
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #13
Comedian

I bought the 4th edition basic set and Magic on impulse and never looked back (although to date I've only used magic once in a demo game I ran four or five years ago). When my FLGS closed a couple years back I bought out their entire GURPS stock which included GURPS Religion, Bloodtypes, Villains, Shapeshifters, Japan, Bunnies and Burrows (my personal pick of the litter) among a few others. All with no intention of ever using them. I also have a bunch of .pdf's that I bought on impulse that I only realized afterwards that I will never use.
Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #14
The Whiner Knight

I have this selfsame problem, too, except that several years ago I exhausted the local GURPS resources of FLGS and second-hand bookstores. GURPS is still the first RPG material I check for when I go to the local gaming store or the secondhand bookstore. And to think, when my wife-to-be said she was more interested in GURPS than in AD&D, I thought I might never get into anything that wasn't AD&D!

Of course, there are perils to buying things second-hand. I've got two copies of Black Ops because the first one apparently belonged to someone who couldn't bear to part with Chapter 5: Characters but couldn't care less about the rest of the book....

"When the human race is clocked on the stopwatch of history, it's a new record every time."
The Whiner Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Just bought Transhuman Space: Toxic Memes and Transhuman Space: Spacecraft of the Solar System today, because I want to be able to clear some shelf space in my library. :-)

Pity I won't be seeing PDF copies of GURPS Uplift (1st or 2nd ed.) or GURPS Alpha Centauri...

Slowly buying up my "GURPS Classic" collection...
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
hackbarth

Cahalans Crosstime Saloon. I'll never play it, nor read the novels nor use any of the material in a table, but it was GURPS and it was in a second hand store. So I bought it and read it all.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #17
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm View Post
Hello, my name is Craig, and I am a GURPS-aholic.
Hi, Craig!
Quote:
I realized a while ago that there are books in my GURPS collection that I would not have normally purchased had they not been GURPS books. One that springs to mind is GURPS WWII. Honestly, WWII does not even interest me in even the remotest sense. I own a copy of Axis and Allies, but would be hard pressed to even get the strength to bring it up from the basement, let alone pull out the pieces to play it. I don't keep track of which battles occurred when, and frankly my eyes glaze over whenever someone mentions WWII. However, I saw the book at my local FLGS, and after leafing through it, I had to have it.

Crusades? Couldn't care less, but GURPS - Crusades? Yes, please.

Same with Old West, Special Ops, and even Supers.

I started reading the Vorkosigan Saga series because of the GURPS book.

What are some of the books that you've bought for no other reason than they're a GURPS treatment of the subject, that you wouldn't have bought if they were another RPG product, or even just a regular book on the subject?
I'm an incorrigible completist when it comes to GURPS, so there are quite a few items that I have picked up over the years that I would not have bought if they didn't have that familiar acronym on the cover. Happily, I have gotten at least some use from the bulk of them. Most recently, the Vorkosigan Saga book was one that I did my usual quick first read of, then placed it on the shelf with the other 4E hardbacks. It seems like it will fall into the unfortunate minority :(
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #18
Evil Roy Slade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackbarth View Post
Cahalans Crosstime Saloon. I'll never play it, nor read the novels nor use any of the material in a table, but it was GURPS and it was in a second hand store. So I bought it and read it all.
I can go you one better: I actively disliked the novels but still bought a copy of GURPS Callahan's. Partly because of the alcohol rules -- hey, every game can use tavern brawls -- and partly because, well, it's GURPS. In general, I would rather give my gaming dollar to SJG than anyone else (and supporting my FLGS in the process is a bonus).
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #19
Fwibos

Actually, I am reminded of GURPS Religion: bought it, didn't care for it, lost it, and Bought it again because I didn't rememember how much I didn't like it. I just knew it was GURPS, and I had to have it.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
addiction, gurps