Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
Not

Default Daredevil loophole?

I'm in trouble. I've jumped out of an airplane without a parachute, and I don't even have that skill. The GM assigns me a penalty of -30 to my die roll. But now a successful landing is guaranteed! Why? I have Daredevil. Any roll but 3 or 4 will be a critical failure, and require a reroll. It might take a while, but eventually I'll stick that landing.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Daredevil loophole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
The GM assigns me a penalty of -30 to my die roll Any roll but 3 or 4 will be a critical failure
You don't roll at all if effective skill is less than 3 (B345).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
PK

Also, Daredevil states that you get to reroll a critical failure. It doesn't say that you get to keep rerolling it, over and over, until you get something better. On its own, "reroll" means you get one new shot at a better result -- not infinite shots!

If you do something stupid crazy and get an 18, reroll it. If you get another 18, that just means the Gaming Gods want you to fail.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:09 AM   #4
Not

The first objection works, but the text under Daredevil surely reads like an if-then-goto-10 statement to me.

Pair Daredevil with Total Klutz, then, to turn your ordinary DX failures into critical failures, then reroll them.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:26 AM   #5
Anders

Quote:
The first objection works, but the text under Daredevil surely reads like an if-then-goto-10 statement to me.

Pair Daredevil with Total Klutz, then, to turn your ordinary DX failures into critical failures, then reroll them.
Only during high-risk behavior. When you're fighting a single goblin, every failure is a critical failure.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:41 AM   #6
Icelander

Quote:
I'm in trouble. I've jumped out of an airplane without a parachute, and I don't even have that skill. The GM assigns me a penalty of -30 to my die roll.
What die roll?

You could use Swimming to dive into water or Acrobatics to reduce the final distance fallen (for damage purposes) by 5 yards.

You can't roll Parachuting in the above situation, no more than you would roll for Computer Operation if you were trying to play Halo using pen and paper. Vehicle handling and equipment-using skills aren't something you roll when trying to accomplish similar goals using other methods. GURPS allows a character to do that, but you use other skills.

Quote:
But now a successful landing is guaranteed! Why? I have Daredevil. Any roll but 3 or 4 will be a critical failure, and require a reroll. It might take a while, but eventually I'll stick that landing.
Even if you rolled successfully against Acrobatics, you will just reduce the final distance fallen by 5 yards before you calculate damage. This will likely have little to no effect on falling damage from an airplane.

Even if you rolled successfully againt Parachuting skill, it wouldn't guarantee a safe or successful landing if you had no parachute. A successful roll to use equipment means you efficiently use that equipment, up to the limit of its capabilities. Even a critical success using an improvised parachute* is likely to mean a successful impact with the ground at less than the velocity you otherwise would have had, but probably several times what you wish you had.

*The preparation of which is not Parachuting skill, but instead probably Scrounging, with an option on other skills depending on circumstances.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #7
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Only during high-risk behavior. When you're fighting a single goblin, every failure is a critical failure.
That's kind of an awesome character concept, though. Some guy who's completely slapstick whenever he gets up to go get a beer or fight with some random-but-pointless goblin, who suddenly absolutely shines when he's fighting a dragon. Very "glorious underdog."
Old 05-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #8
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:

Didn't we already have that conversation?

(goes and looks)

Yep, here it is...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
What die roll.
Also, if your modified skill is less than 3, which it is with a -30, you do not get to attempt a roll (p.B347), which means you can't "re"-roll either.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Officially:

1. Below skill 3, you don't get a roll – never mind a reroll – except on an active defense roll. That's spelled out on p. B345.

2. You get one reroll. Yes, you could read the instructions as a pure logical statement devoid of connotation, but no rule is written that way.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daredevil