Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #51
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Question about homing weapon lock on

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Isn't it 10, like every other missile in GURPS High-Tech? Why would you think that? All the missiles in High-Tech have skill 10.

It seems to me that the OP's main question is the sort of thing that ought to be answered by Kromm, and UFAQ'd. Has anybody PM'd him about this?
Ima definitely UFAQ'ing it after reading an answer, but I'm in the middle of a session right now, so I'm semi-distracted for the purpose of writing a well-formulated letter with all relevant sub-questions. If nobody PMs Kromm soon, remind me later and I'll do it.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #52
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Isn't it 10, like every other missile in GURPS High-Tech? Why would you think that? All the missiles in High-Tech have skill 10.

It seems to me that the OP's main question is the sort of thing that ought to be answered by Kromm, and UFAQ'd. Has anybody PM'd him about this?
If you lock it on, which I think acrosome was presuming, it gets to add Acc to that. Acc is 5 for the AIM-9X.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #53
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
If nobody PMs Kromm soon, remind me later and I'll do it.
I'll do it, if the OP chooses to defer it, but it really is his question.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #54
z0boson

Quote:
I'll do it, if the OP chooses to defer it, but it really is his question.
I have PMed Kromm. I will keep you informed if he replies.
z0boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #55
Dalzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Whereas the person trying to use a missile spends a turn to Aim, attempts to roll Artillery (Guided Missile) at -21, and inevitably fails. And keeps failing for a while, because there's nothing they can do to improve that except hope the plane comes closer.
Is there actually anything preventing you from firing if you fail the Aim check?

It seems like taking the action of Aiming is enough to consider the homing weapon as locked-on and the roll is just to add the Acc of the weapon to its attack. If you fail, you can still fire the weapon and have it use its base skill (usually 10).

Granted, that's usually a large bonus to lose out on. I'm also not entirely sure how a character would actually know that they failed the Aim roll.
Dalzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #56
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzig View Post
Is there actually anything preventing you from firing if you fail the Aim check?

It seems like taking the action of Aiming is enough to consider the homing weapon as locked-on and the roll is just to add the Acc of the weapon to its attack. If you fail, you can still fire the weapon and have it use its base skill (usually 10).

Granted, that's usually a large bonus to lose out on. I'm also not entirely sure how a character would actually know that they failed the Aim roll.
Probably true, given that the rules address the possibility that you failed and launched anyway.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:04 PM   #57
gruundehn

[QUOTE=Ulzgoroth;1777775]Which guided missiles do you mean? You cannot possibly spoof a beam riding or command-guided missile with chaff or flares...you might be able to spoof the ground-based fire control, but not the missile, because the missile isn't looking at you at all.
QUOTE]

The technique of spoofing a missile with chaff, or the various radar transmitters is exactly the same since it is the same equipment doing it. Notice I said the techniques. the targets of the spoofing will be different but the defending aircraft when using jammers or chaff does the exact same to either the radar emitting aircraft or missile. The only differences is that the radar on an aircraft will have more power and thus will burn-through the jamming easier and negate any modifiers the jamming will create, also the aircraft will have a larger and thus more powerful computer (usually) and thus can eliminate the chaff as a distraction. Chaff does not move very much and a powerful computer can delete any signal that does no move a certain amount or more.

Flares are used against IR missiles such as he Sidewinder and trick the seeker head to changing its lock-on from the engine exhaust to the brighter heat source that the flare is, flares are useless against radar. It was the practice of early Soviet fighters to launch a heat-seeker and a radar-guided version of their air-to-air missile so it became the practice to fire flares off as well as chaff when any missile was launched.

BTW, HARM missiles are optimized for ground radar sites and are no used for attacking aircraft, they do not maneuver well enough.

Last edited by gruundehn; 06-22-2014 at 05:16 AM. Reason: corrected typos
gruundehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #58
z0boson

Hello!

I got the answer from Kromm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
The rules are meant to be taken literally:

1. The attack uses this sense for the purpose of combat modifiers.

2. To "lock on," you must Aim at the target and make an unmodified skill roll. Do not roll against your skill to hit. Instead, use the attack's skill of 10 – plus Accuracy, if you made your skill roll – and ignore all range penalties.

Thus, all the roll is 10 + Accuracy. The only penalties that apply are those that would jam the homing sense: darkness/fog for vision, jamming for radar, and so on. You specifically ignore range and speed.
and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Oh, and I ignored the most important part: "Lock on" rolls aren't modified. Lock on is just an Aim maneuver where you have to roll against skill. This is a roll to properly use the equipment.
z0boson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
homing weapons