Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-31-2017, 06:19 PM   #41
lachimba

Default Re: The Discworld Roleplaying Game (now available in PDF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
It also means we won't see any new "authentic" plotbunnies to turn into Discworld Roleplaying Game adventures, which is slightly sad.
there is still talk of the tv series "The Watch"
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:00 PM   #42
4rc4num

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
That's GURPS Discworld, not the Discworld RPG. 240 pages, ISBN 1-55634-261-6, copyright 1998.
Discworld Roleplaying Game Paperback – December 21, 2016

A typo maybe?
4rc4num is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #43
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rc4num View Post
Some kind of error that's for sure. The picture and product description sound like the new book, but I'd contact the seller to confirm which they have. If they keep insisting it's a paperback, something fishy is going on.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:05 AM   #44
Phil Masters

I get the impression that Amazon themselves have mis-entered the data for the new book, generating confusion that's propagated through their reseller pages. But any reseller who claims that they're looking at a legitimate copy of the new edition in paperback is lying.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:54 AM   #45
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I get the impression that Amazon themselves have mis-entered the data for the new book...
They do seem confused. As the author, you could try using their "report incorrect product information" link.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #46
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
They do seem confused. As the author, you could try using their "report incorrect product information" link.
I'd missed that. Reported now. Many thanks.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 03:00 PM   #47
Plane

I was thinking of getting this eventually but I don't want to spoil any details from the novels which I plan to eventually read.

Does anyone know how many of the early novels are incorporated into this?

I want to read them first and then get the game.

There's 41 novels published as of 2015 though, so I'm wondering if any of the later ones are irrelevant to spoiling content present in this sourcebook.
Old 07-15-2023, 03:09 PM   #48
Arcanjo7Sagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
There's 41 novels published as of 2015
I live in Brazil, so unfortunately most of the books never came out in Portuguese, as far as I know. It's a well-known series among nerds and geeks here, but apparently not enough to attract publishers to translate them. One or the other and depending on the season they may be out of stock or difficult to find (at least it was like that a few years ago).

Particularly, as much as I read English well, reading RPGs and journalistic articles is one thing, reading literature is another. I still don't feel so comfortable reading novels outside of my native language. Reading comics and manga in English doesn't bother me, for some reason, just literature/novels.
Old 07-15-2023, 04:16 PM   #49
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
I was thinking of getting this eventually but I don't want to spoil any details from the novels which I plan to eventually read.

Does anyone know how many of the early novels are incorporated into this?

There's 41 novels published as of 2015 though, so I'm wondering if any of the later ones are irrelevant to spoiling content present in this sourcebook.
The intro talks about referring to all of the "adult" Discworld novels published up to the time it went to print, and a few short stories, but doesn't include the "young reader" novels (at a guess the wee free men etc.).

The bibliography at the back lists main series novels up through Snuff.

It also states along the lines that they try not to spoil things gratuitously, but it can't be 100% spoiler free.

Hopefully that helps.

Edit: the free preview pdf on Warehouse23 includes table of contents and intro (up through page 6) plus page 8 and a few other random pages and index.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 10:08 PM   #50
mburr0003

Quote:
Broadly speaking it's written predicated on the assumption that you have read all the books.

However... that said... what do you want to consider spoilers?

Character secrets? Then don't the "Citizens of Ankh-Morpork" chapter.

Broadly thematic... eh.. themes that run throughout the entire series but are slowly refined and built on over the majority of the books? Then don't read it until you've read about halfway through the the Watch, the City, and the Witches series.

Otherwise... I don't think it's going to necessarily spoil any individual books. But still skip the "Citizens of Ankh-Morpork" chapter, 'cause that does spill a bunch of character's secrets that are revealed slowly, and of course things that happen to them that are reflected in Advantages, Skills, and such.

[EDIT=after skimming the Diskworld rpg again]
Actually... if you like learning the lore of a series in the order the series was published in (like me) I'd largely skip reading the Diskworld game book until you're up to the Tiffany Aching books. Because there are history and area lore drops that get revealed here and there as the whole Diskworld book series develops. Like the secrets of Four Ecks and the Gods and other stuff.
[/EDIT]

Quote:
Get the game book whenever... unless you're the type who can't resist opening presents before Christmas morning or reading the last chapter of a mystery first. Then I'd hold off (who are we kidding, if you were like that you'd already have it). But if you want to avoid broad spoilers don't read [the rpg] till you're like a bit more than halfway through [the series].

Last edited by mburr0003; 07-15-2023 at 10:15 PM.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discworld, discworld rpg, gurps