Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-09-2021, 04:14 AM   #1
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Cannot Harm Innocents

In the text of the disadvantage Pacifism - Cannot Harm Innocents it says: "You never intentionally do anything that causes, or even threatens to cause, injury to the uninvolved."

So if an uninvolved person is being attacked, would ignoring that, perhaps because the PC is injured, be a breach of the above disadvantage?
Old 07-09-2021, 04:31 AM   #2
coronatiger

Default Re: Cannot Harm Innocents

The disad is "Cannot harm innocents", not "Protector of innocents". I would not require you to intervene if you witness an assault, although I wouldn't fault you for doing so. Depending on your other traits, I might expect you to talk down or restrain the attacker, or possibly even attack him with lethal force, but that's not part of Pacifism.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:55 AM   #3
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronatiger View Post
The disad is "Cannot harm innocents", not "Protector of innocents". I would not require you to intervene if you witness an assault, although I wouldn't fault you for doing so. Depending on your other traits, I might expect you to talk down or restrain the attacker, or possibly even attack him with lethal force, but that's not part of Pacifism.
Indeed. Heroic pacifists don't protect others because of their Pacifism, they protect others because of their Sense of Duty. ISTR Cannot Harm Innocents being mentioned as an appropriate trait for demons in some settings, to represent they aren't allowed to harm the innocent.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:11 AM   #4
Polkageist

To blur the lines a little bit, the text there has a bit in common with the Asimov laws of robotics, specifically the first one, "...cannot cause harm to a human, or by inaction allow a human to come to harm"

Now, CHI doesn't explicitly say that. It COULD implicitly be interpreted to say that, if say a player wanted to justify getting involved or if the GM wanted to encourage a player into action.

I wouldn't twist anyone's arm to the point of requiring anything since the text doesn't directly say that and it overlaps with sense of duty (which is clear call to action), but it's a button to press and see if it makes something interesting happen.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #5
Phil Masters

It's a GM judgement call, but if a normal human (as opposed to a law-bound demon) with Cannot Harm Innocents failed to throw a lifebelt to a drowning presumed-innocent, I'd at least ask why not. There's a level of inaction that amounts to malicious action.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:21 AM   #6
Anders

Right. It depends on the risks involved. If there's no risk and they just stand there as the guy drowns/burns/bleeds out... yeah, that's a loss of character points. Unless it's a curse of some sort and "Exact words" matter.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:43 AM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Right. It depends on the risks involved. If there's no risk and they just stand there as the guy drowns/burns/bleeds out... yeah, that's a loss of character points. Unless it's a curse of some sort and "Exact words" matter.
While I wouldn't deduct points for poor roleplaying, something like that might result in me giving the character Callous, a negative Reputation, or similar if such events continue to occur. Assuming the character doesn't have an appropriate Sense of Duty or similar, anyway.

Of course, "I thought it might be a trap," "I didn't think it was real," "I figured someone else had it handled," "It would have taken too much of my time," "I might need that life-preserver (or whatever resources might be used in the rescue) for someone I actually care about," etc would all be acceptable answers, as those are the reasons normal people will ignore stranded motorists, drowning people, etc.

Last edited by Varyon; 07-09-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:01 PM   #8
Rolando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post

Of course, "I thought it might be a trap," "I didn't think it was real," "I figured someone else had it handled," "It would have taken too much of my time," "I might need that life-preserver (or whatever resources might be used in the rescue) for someone I actually care about," etc would all be acceptable answers, as those are the reasons normal people will ignore stranded motorists, drowning people, etc.
I agree to this up to a point, because many normal people may not have anything like CHI.

I remember some psychology experiment (may be internet ******** though) that allowed people to give electrical shocks to other people anonymously, the electrically shocked where all actors, the experiment was to see if common people where cruel if there where no consequences or something along that line.

Also the amount of common daily wickedness and apathy in the common human tells me CHI is not a common feature.

Many people that say stuff like that Varyon mention may even be callous, didn't really care but have to say something so others don't see them as cruel and other try to cope with the guilt by saying that to themselves.

I as GM would at least make some depression or guilt felt to the player character (maybe with some game mechanics involved, maybe not) and reduce roleplaying XP earned.

On the other hand, not helping someone get mugged or harmed means getting in harms way most of the time and a natural reaction may be to not get involved for personal safety, so no roleplaying penalty, just the lingering guilt feelings and frustration of not being able to help the victim (with the possible game mechanic penalties or whatever).
Rolando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:09 PM   #9
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
I remember some psychology experiment (may be internet ******** though) that allowed people to give electrical shocks to other people anonymously, the electrically shocked where all actors, the experiment was to see if common people where cruel if there where no consequences or something along that line.
That's the Milgram experiment, which was real, and has been replicated many times, with reasonably consistent results.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:37 PM   #10
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
So if an uninvolved person is being attacked, would ignoring that, perhaps because the PC is injured, be a breach of the above disadvantage?
GM's call, but I'd say no as long as both the PC and the player have a reasonable excuse. Being injured, outnumbered, outclassed, or otherwise engaged in a more important mission are all good reasons for the PC to not intervene.

However, a Pacifist or someone with a Sense of Duty or Duty who sees an "innocent" being attacked and is unable to intervene might suffer sufficient emotional distress that they must make a Fright Check. Survivor guilt is a huge part of PTSD, best modeled by Guilt Complex.

The GM also has to allow a bit of flexibility as to who counts as an "Innocent" based on the campaign tone and genre. In an action or fantasy campaign, anyone working for/related to the bad guys might be a legitimate target even if they're non-combatants or unwitting dupes. In a "gritty" campaign, a character with CHI might be unable or unwilling to attack such targets.

Realistically, soldiers who are forced to kill child soldiers, unwilling suicide bombers, etc. can suffer terribly from the knowledge that they were forced to kill an essentially innocent person even when their actions were justified.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cannot harm innocents