Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2021, 10:17 AM   #21
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default Re: [Lite] wound modifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
In full disclosure, the experience that sent me down this path was participating as a player in a GURPS demo session run by Jessie Foster of the Arizona MIB at a face-to-face convention in the Before Times. He was meticulous about the rules, as befits the MIB. I was surprised by the extent to which just this one rule slowed down combat, even in a fantasy setting, and started wondering if there was a way to simplify it.
For quick games, I use GURPS Ultra-Lite.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:47 AM   #22
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Honestly, I think your suggestion would work out to be more complex than the default. I mean, you're talking about every type of armor having at least four different DR values, depending on attack type.
It's a more verbose character sheet but reduces calculation in play. It would be less of an issue if pi didn't have variants, it's already common to have different DR vs Cut or Imp.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:54 PM   #23
thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
For quick games, I use GURPS Ultra-Lite.
I would love to revisit the Ultra-Lite concept, but aim for better upward compatibility with Lite and full-spectrum GURPS.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:34 AM   #24
pierseb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Honestly, I think your suggestion would work out to be more complex than the default. I mean, you're talking about every type of armor having at least four different DR values, depending on attack type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's a more verbose character sheet but reduces calculation in play. It would be less of an issue if pi didn't have variants, it's already common to have different DR vs Cut or Imp.
It’s definitely more complex if you do both damage and DR multiplication on the fly. But DR is a rather stable value and is easy to figure and record on the character sheet. As Anthony pointed, it’s a more verbose sheet. Worst case you write out... 5 additional values? x1/2 , x1 , x1.5 , x2 and x3 and x4 for some hit locations. Ok, for Unliving and Homogenous you would also have x 1/3, x 1/5 and x 1/10. By writing it down it solves the issue of remembering how to round fractional DR.

The hard part is the same as the default rules, Multiplying the damage. Worst case it’s the same level of complexity. There are different ways to solve this.

If not using hit locations, scaling the damage dice is a simple way. You might still have to account for Unliving and Homogenous depending on the game you run. Scaling up damage also offer the effect of finer damage. 1D x2 can never give you a result of 7 that 2D can. Advantageous or disadvantageous?

For hit locations, either pre-write the scaled damages on the sheet , this can be rather intense if you have more than a couple of attacks to record.

This is were a simple lookup table can be practical. For new players (or older players, like me, that don’t have the same stamina for long play sessions) I would highly recommend it. Again it solves the issue of rounding fractional damage. With a bit of experience, you can do away with it.

If using playing aids, you could have combat cards for each weapons with multiple damage entries.

I also need to give credit to Bontainer for this. He the first one I saw use such system. You can checkout some his examples

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=127491

https://peterssoftwareprojects.com/2...weapon-charts/

Here he even remap damage over 3d to 3d.

https://peterssoftwareprojects.com/2...mal-catalogue/

Last edited by pierseb; 04-07-2021 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typing error
pierseb is offline   Reply With Quote