Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default GURPS On Demand

For a complete list of printed GURPS titles available as a part of the GURPS On Demand series, please go here:

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/ondemand/

More titles will be added in the coming months.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
beetle496

Default Re: GURPS On Demand

Are we not suppose to post to sticky threads? I see that my previous POD question has been deleted. That is okay with me as I read my answer before it disappeared! I have another POD question.

GURPS (3e) Autoduel 2nd Edition is out of print but listed as having a Suggested Retail Price of $9.95. The Amazon POD price is $22.95. I do not understand the $13 price increase! Can you explain this discrepancy?
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #3
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
Are we not suppose to post to sticky threads? I see that my previous POD question has been deleted. That is okay with me as I read my answer before it disappeared! I have another POD question.

GURPS (3e) Autoduel 2nd Edition is out of print but listed as having a Suggested Retail Price of $9.95. The Amazon POD price is $22.95. I do not understand the $13 price increase! Can you explain this discrepancy?
Please limit discussion here to the GURPS On Demand titles. The discussion about print-on-demand technology was moved to another channel.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #4
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
The discussion about print-on-demand technology was moved to another channel.
Please point me to that. I feel like I am using the forum Search feature correctly, but I cannot surface that thread. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
The $9.95 in incorrect. I suspect (and cannot prove it without a lot of research) that there can a time when Warehouse 23 cleared the inventory and priced the remainders at that price. Probably in late 2004 or early 2005 would be my guess.
That sounds right. Quite a few GURPS books were priced at $9.95 during that timeframe when Warehouse 23 was trying to clear old inventory.

Quote:
The book was $17.95 when it was first released.
If you go to the Warehouse 23 page for any GURPS Book and look at the PDF Preview of it check out the barcode block on the back Cover page. It will have a code something like "SJG01795 6003." The 1795 is the Suggested Retail Price - $17.95 - of that printing of the book, when it was last physically printed.

Quote:
Please point me to that. I feel like I am using the forum Search feature correctly, but I cannot surface that thread. Thanks!
It was moved to The Industry forum, and is the most recent thread there.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:31 PM   #6
theyoungmaster

Hello my first experience with GURPS was the Dungeon fantasy Roleplaying game wich I loved so much I wanted to try some other GURPS Titles.
Thats when I found GURPS on demand at amazon, Im so glad to be able to get older GURPS books at a reasonable price and I think the print quality is great.
Im really in to the third edition of GURPS right now and would scoop up any of the following titles if made available on demand

The Compendium 2 (Need this to complete Core Books Collection)
Wizards (To go along with Rogues and Warriors)
Alterate Earths 1 & 2
Robots
Dinosaurs
Time Travel
Vehicles

I Love the Historic Campaigns

Arabian Nights
Napolean
Old West
China

More genre Books for Third I just bought Horror

Fantasy
Space
Martial Arts
Cyberpunk

Also:

Monsters
Cabal
Places of Mystery

Thanks you guys are awesome.
theyoungmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
The $9.95 price was for the original softcover edition, from 1996. Amazon PoD prices are based on page count; they're higher per-page for short books like this one, and higher than conventional printing.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The $9.95 price was for the original softcover edition, from 1996. Amazon PoD prices are based on page count; they're higher per-page for short books like this one, and higher than conventional printing.
The $9.95 in incorrect. I suspect (and cannot prove it without a lot of research) that there can a time when Warehouse 23 cleared the inventory and priced the remainders at that price. Probably in late 2004 or early 2005 would be my guess.

Digging deeper:

Using an inflation calculator, we find that is the equivalent of roughly $29.08 in today's dollars. The relative cost of the book has actually dropped in the last 20+ years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg autoduel.jpg (19.5 KB, 953 views)
Old 01-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #9
beetle496

Quote:
Thanks very much for digging that up! That makes one feel much more comfortable with the Amazon pricing! It could just be a typo too, MSRP of $19.99 makes more sense than $9.95.

Quote:
The $9.95 in incorrect.
FWIW, I am finding $9.95 listed as the “Suggested Retail Price” for the (softcover) print version of several older 3e titles with Amazon POD links (at ~$23). I guess I would suggest just deleting all that out-of-date information. It leads to a bit of sticker shock when one follows the links from the sjgames.com page!

Last edited by beetle496; 01-01-2020 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added 2nd paragraph
Old 01-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #10
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
The $9.95 is incorrect. … The book was $17.95 when it was first released.
That's research above and beyond the call of duty! Thanks.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pod; print on demand