Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Anders

Default Bulky gadgets?

Should there be a gadget limitation discount for gadgets being large and bulky? You can bring a ring almost everywhere, but a car is another matter... what do you think?
Old 12-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Culture20

Default Re: Bulky gadgets?

3rd edition Supers listed such a limitation for gadgets (but only for the largest objects). There wasn't a nice half-way point between "magic underoos" and 30 foot diameter radar dish.
Culture20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Varyon

Sounds logical. You might be able to adapt from Ghostdancer's Metatronic Generators article (Pyramid #3/46). If we assume the Gadget rules from Basic are appropriate for a Small (SM-4) device, then +10% per -1 SM to the Gadget's size, or -10% per +1 SM, might not be too far off. So, a sword (around SM -4) uses normal prices, a ring (around SM -8) is +40%, and a car (around SM +3) is a further -70%.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
the_matrix_walker

I do think bulk and weight should be an issue. There is certainly an argument for discounting items for SM greater than 0.

Supers has a limitation that can be used for Patron if all they supply is a headquarters. I would allow "Fixed Location, -50%" on a gadget that could not be moved. (Similar to Temporary Disadvantage, Sessile, -50%)

You could always add a Nuisance Effect for having to lug it around... -5% per point of Move lost to encumbrance or some such (Similar to Temporary Disadvantage, Basic Move -1, -5%). Any other unfortunate side effects of carrying the item could similarly be set up like Temporary Disadvantages.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Should there be a gadget limitation discount for gadgets being large and bulky? You can bring a ring almost everywhere, but a car is another matter... what do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Sounds logical. You might be able to adapt from Ghostdancer's Metatronic Generators article (Pyramid #3/46). If we assume the Gadget rules from Basic are appropriate for a Small (SM-4) device, then +10% per -1 SM to the Gadget's size, or -10% per +1 SM, might not be too far off. So, a sword (around SM -4) uses normal prices, a ring (around SM -8) is +40%, and a car (around SM +3) is a further -70%.
That mirrors my numbers very closely in the sequel to that article. Also, I used -5% per -2 levels of Bulk for ranged weaponry - if that helps any.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
You could always add a Nuisance Effect for having to lug it around... -5% per point of Move lost to encumbrance or some such (Similar to Temporary Disadvantage, Basic Move -1, -5%). Any other unfortunate side effects of carrying the item could similarly be set up like Temporary Disadvantages.
My Mass and Volume houserules may be useful here - simply grab the effects from Athletics/Movement/Carrying Capacity and apply them as a Temporary Disadvantage on the Gadget (you could argue for getting twice the Temporary Disadvantage value, to a maximum of 90% of the Disadvantage's value, as you have to lug the extra weight around at all times in order to have access to the ability, rather than simply suffering the negative effects when you use the ability).

EDIT: On second thought, the effects are really just the same effects you get from encumbrance. Inconvenient weight is worth [-1] per BL/10 lb. So, if you've got ST 10 and your gadget is a 3 lb sword, that's worth -3% or -6%, depending on if you double the value or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
That mirrors my numbers very closely in the sequel to that article.
Well, they do fall rather easily out of the prices in the article, but it's good to see I'm on the right track.

Last edited by Varyon; 12-29-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gadgets, limitation