Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2018, 08:47 PM   #131
chandley

Default Re: Virtual Table Top (VTT) support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
Folks have been using both Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 for a long time now without official support. Being officially supported won't really change anything, functionally, in the long term, so long as SJG never sends a cease-and-desist demand (which seems unlikely).
I use the GURPS rules set for Fantasy grounds. It's nice, rolls dice, lets me play with my friends. If SJG saw their way clear to allowing some rules automation in FG or other VTTs, being able to drag attacks on to a target, that sets up a defense roll (add in deceptive and remind about denial of defense on crits), and then drag damage on to a target to reduce HPs and set up HT rolls... well that wouldn't suck.

But it is completely usable now. Has a complete enough character sheet that, if you don't get the weird bug that complains about database errors, you can put a full GURPS character in, so that you can roll a skill off the sheet and get the skill's label next to the roll, or the attacks label (no rules automation, but helps the GM keep track of what roll goes with what).

So I would say if you can swallow the FG price (and I bought waaay back in the day, the new price is a little daunting, I admit, if all you do with it is GURPS), then nothing should stop you from using the GURPS ruleset with it. It does the job.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:26 PM   #132
WayneV

I have just got back into RPGs, and would love to see GURPS provide some support for a VTT. I have been using Roll 20, and am disappointed by the lack of a useful character sheet for GURPS on there.

Last edited by WayneV; 11-05-2019 at 07:46 PM.
WayneV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:11 PM   #133
KataH

I am 1 of the 2 current authors (neither of us are the original one) for the GURPS Chatterer Sheet (the sheet simply named GURPS).
I, and my coauthor, would welcome any suggestions you would have with this sheet.
Join our ongoing Roll20 thread:
https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/66...ber-1-thread-1
Please know that we volunteer our time on this sheet and cannot dedicate 8 hours a day to it.

Mike

P.s. I have sent many requests to Steve Jackson Games for their support of VTT and only once did they reply. They said "We are looking into it". That was a few years ago - nothing ever since.

"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!"
KataH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:17 PM   #134
Jaxilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneV View Post
I have just got back into RPGs, and would love to see GURPS provide some support for a VTT. I have been using Roll 20, and am disappointed by the lack of a useful character sheet for GURPS on there.
I don't know much about what's happening with Roll20 but I have used the GURPS ruleset for Fantasy Grounds. It's got some updates that are close to being rolled out. I'm not sure if those will come before or after the Unity upgrade which is in Beta.

You can learn more about what exists in the GURPS thread of the FG community.
Jaxilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:02 PM   #135
Drone 5

Roll20 is doing good and the devoted guys, not associated in any official capacity with Roll20 nor SJG, working on the character sheet are making updates to it all the time.
Although SJG does not officially support any VTT, and it looks like they never will, GURPS works great in Roll20 IMO.

Last edited by Drone 5; 12-08-2019 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Drone 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #136
Nose66

The latest version of GCS added support to export to the Fantasy Grounds ruleset.
Nose66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #137
Yako2020

Hi gentlemen, I am a frequent goer of Fantasy Grounds forums, we are currently in the Beta Closed version of Unity and the best thing is that all material is retro compatible, I use the GURPS ruleset for it and it works very well, although I am looking forward to the improvements listed, I know the Roll20 works fine, but this is not the platform but a way to have a streamline for us and even more we can have materials (supplement books) for both of us. platforms facilitating the creation of encounters, item acquisition, character creation can be done directly on platforms and / or programs such as GCS or GCA.

BRASILEIRO UTILIZADOR DO GOOGLE TRADUTOR
Yako2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:39 AM   #138
Drone 5

Just noticed that in the 7th printing of GURPS Basic Campaigns, Jan 2020, SJ Games finally mentioned Virtual Tabletops.
Unfortunately they do not comment much except they singled out someone for a 'heroic fan effort' at making something in Fantasy Grounds. That is very unfair to the great people working hard on the GURPS Character Sheet in Roll20. Their effort has been nothing short of what those have done for Fantasy Grounds. The only difference is the people doing the work in FG have made a You Tube video of what they are doing and invited SJ Games to have a look.
It is really sad, IMHO, that SJ Games is not into supporting the VTTs. They are missing a growing industry. Roll20 already has over 4 millions members, much greater than any other VTT. There is now even a more promising VTT called Foundry that proposes to be even more configurable and user friendly.
Just my opinion is all.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #139
KataH

I, and the other author of the GURPS Character Sheet in Roll20, will continue to update the sheet even if SJG does not support it.
It does hurt a little they did not mention the work we have done specially after we have been positing in this forum for some time about VTTs.

"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!"
KataH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #140
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone 5 View Post
It is really sad, IMHO, that SJ Games is not into supporting the VTTs. They are missing a growing industry.
IMHO they are going for the lower hanging fruit of the CCG market and are too focused on that to put the proper time time and resources into doing VTTs right. Or if we are generous they simply don't have the resources to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KataH View Post
I, and the other author of the GURPS Character Sheet in Roll20, will continue to update the sheet even if SJG does not support it.
It does hurt a little they did not mention the work we have done specially after we have been positing in this forum for some time about VTTs.
Well SJG sales GURPS Character Assistant which is limited to Windows and mentioning a free program that does much the same thing and runs on two more OSes (Linux and MacOS) would be counter productive to selling GURPS Character Assistant. It sucks but welcome to the US business world. :-(

Also as popular as DF is it is a insect compare to the 2 ton behemoth that is D&D. :-(
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 03-03-2020 at 01:45 PM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy grounds, roll20, virtual tabletop, vtt