Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:56 PM   #161
Cat

Default Re: Sooo . . .What do you want?

I want to see the [img] function turned on for this board!

This is the least miniatures-friendly forum I've ever been on for not being able to just directly see photos of what folks are working on and of their game reports.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #162
Cundiff

I'm a pretty simple guy. I played Ogre way back in the 70's and have been thinking about getting a new game. My old one disappeared way back in my college days. I loved the Bolo books by Laumer. So, of course I'd like to see some kind of homage to his Bolos.

But most important to me is that I'd simply like a nice Ogre game with semi-mounted (cardboard) maps and die cut counters. I don't need all those fancy plastic things and wouldn't bother purchasing them, not even if you gave them to me. Oh, they're nice, but they're a bottomless black hole.

I just want a simple game like that I used to play way back in the 70's with better graphics and production values.

Tom Cundiff
Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:11 PM   #163
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cundiff View Post
I'm a pretty simple guy. I played Ogre way back in the 70's and have been thinking about getting a new game. My old one disappeared way back in my college days. I loved the Bolo books by Laumer. So, of course I'd like to see some kind of homage to his Bolos.

But most important to me is that I'd simply like a nice Ogre game with semi-mounted (cardboard) maps and die cut counters. I don't need all those fancy plastic things and wouldn't bother purchasing them, not even if you gave them to me. Oh, they're nice, but they're a bottomless black hole.

I just want a simple game like that I used to play way back in the 70's with better graphics and production values.

Tom Cundiff
Check out Ogre 6th Edition...it's exactly what you're describing! Hardboard maps (to the same production standard as Designer's Edition), die-cut counters that are decently thick, and 3D die-cut Ogres / Command Posts, in a box that is about 12x12x3.

6E runs $50 at MSRP, and is the "crater map" base game.

Reinforcements, the first expansion, runs $20 and adds most of the 'variant' units...Light tanks/GEVs, Superheavy tanks, Mobile howitzers, and the GEV Personnel Carrier...as well as a full compliment of Combine defenders / PanEuro Ogres.

Battlefields has yet to properly launch, but is scheduled to bring with it a smattering of new units / buildings, along with the GEV-style maps out of the old-school (2001) 'Battlefields'.

The book Ogre Miniatures might be work picking up, too. It's a bit spendy since you're not too keen on the plastic [though there's nothing saying you can't play Miniatures rules with the die-cut units!]. I'm suggesting it here because it comes with a pair of die-cut sheets that are 6E-compatible, some of which contain units that aren't currently available anywhere else (like the Mk VI, radio towers, a Vulcan / its drones).
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #164
Mack_JB

Quote:
Your wish has been answered:

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/ogre-sixth-edition
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:14 AM   #165
Cundiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Check out Ogre 6th Edition...3D die-cut Ogres / Command Posts,
This is the part that concerns me. I'd rather just a flat counter, instead of the 3D things. I've seen this edition and have avoided it because of the 3D Ogres.

Edit: Had a thought. Do any of the expansions have just a flat Ogre counter that can substitute for the 3D things?

And, if not, is there any convenient artwork anywhere that one can use to "make their own" flat Ogre counter?

Last edited by Cundiff; 07-23-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #166
TheAmishStig

Quote:
This is the part that concerns me. I'd rather just a flat counter, instead of the 3D things. I've seen this edition and have avoided it because of the 3D Ogres.

Edit: Had a thought. Do any of the expansions have just a flat Ogre counter that can substitute for the 3D things?

And, if not, is there any convenient artwork anywhere that one can use to "make their own" flat Ogre counter?
There are a couple ways, but yes...flat Ogres are available.

The "Nihon North American Divisions" had a couple flat Ogres mixed in, and are still available via the 'Sponsored Counters' page...but I think it was just Mk.I, Mk.II, Mk.III-B, and Mk.V.

If you can find one being sold off piecemeal, Designer's Edition had a sheet that was nothing but various flat Ogres, gray on one side, yellow on the other. Those are still typically two-hex, but is the most comprehensive

There's also the "Classic Counters" set, available on Warehouse 23. It's ODE-grade die-cuts, in an oversized version of the old square + silhouette style of the old-school editions. Those are all one hex per, but I don't know if they have the full range of cybertanks.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:10 AM   #167
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:

Not exactly, but there are some options.

The Classic Counters have that old-school square counter look. You can get a physical set or a free PDF for print-and-play. Both have a full complement of Ogres.

There are still some sponsor sheets out there that have Flat Ogres (but it's limited in which Ogres). The Nihon set has a flat 1-hex Mark V, Mark III and Mark III-b, for example.

If you can get your hands on a sheet of the Flat ogres from ODE, that would work, too. You'd have to find that aftermarket from someone that doesn't want them and is willing to break up their set, though.

The artwork on the 3D counter is decent enough that you could just use the main flat piece in a pinch, but you'd really be pushing it at that point.

If it's just the look of the 3D chipboard that bothers you, and not the fact it's not flat, you could get a set of Ogre Miniatures 1 to have a Real 3D Ogre.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #168
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

That's what I get for researching links while posting :-)
Old 07-23-2018, 08:16 AM   #169
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
There's also the "Classic Counters" set, available on Warehouse 23. It's ODE-grade die-cuts, in an oversized version of the old square + silhouette style of the old-school editions. Those are all one hex per, but I don't know if they have the full range of cybertanks.
Yes, they do. I highly recommend getting the free PDF set. Even if you don't plan to use them, they are good to have in a pinch. Also, printing them on different colored cardstock gives you instant extra armies.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:17 AM   #170
Cundiff

You can get a physical set or a free PDF for print-and-play.

Yes, I like the flat old school stuff.

I think the above is what I am looking for.

Thanks,
Tom

Edit: Just downloaded the free PDF. Turns out those are really quite primitive. Was looking more for modern artwork rendered as a flat counter.

I may have to make my own. I'm something of a graphic artist for the hobby. I've done lots of playtest artwork, and a few games have my finished art. However, in truth, I'm more of a draftsman than an artist. But I can manipulate Photoshop rather well. So, I'll see what I can come up with.

Last edited by Cundiff; 07-23-2018 at 08:25 AM.