Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Astromancer

Default Transhuman Space/Mage: the Ascension Crossover

I'm thinking of trying to start up a Sci Fi and magic game crossing the two settings named in the title. Much of the politics would involve struggles within the Technocracy between Lab Rats (the Progenitors, Iteration X, and the Void Engineers) on one side on the Desk Jockeys (The New World Order and the Syndicate) on the other. The Elemental Dragons (the Eastern allies of the Technocratic Union) would also be involved. The Trads, having coned the Technocratic Union (TU) into co-operation are allied with the Lab Rats against the Desk Jockeys. The Elemental Dragons are sizing up weather to demand more power in the allience with the TU or try to take them down and then try to eliminate the Trads.

I'm posting this for ideas on blending the two settings.

To make it easier to offer ideas, here's how the two settings get blended.

Basically a powerful Hermetic Mage figures out how to get rid of the Avatar Storm (a major metaplot development in the last couple of years of the setting). He realised this will leave Paradox much weaker at the edges and that the TU might try to block any attempt to clear the storm away.

The Hermetic and a group of his allies come up with a plan to get the TU to cooperate and weaken the groups most hostile to the Trads. Basically the weakened Paradox is sold to the Lab Rats as a chance to advance technology at a radical rate (in the metaplot the sorrow and hopelessness of the World of Darkness had slowed technological change). Thus allowing the technocratic Utopia. All the Trads wanted was freedom to be themselves, the right to bring PSI into the consensus, and memetics. The deal was struck.

It is now the year 2038, all technologies are about as they were in the normal THS setting.

So, suggestions?

Yes I'll write more. But I'm looking for ideas.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 07-17-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
Astromancer

Default Re: Transhuman Space/Mage: the Ascension Crossover

The Elemental Dragons are detailed in the book Dragons of the East. I'll write more about them later in order to make it easier for people to offer ideas.

Ancora Imparo
Old 07-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Kitsune

That doesn't seem kosher to me. You know, some things just shouldn't mix on your plate... :P
Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
That doesn't seem kosher to me. You know, some things just shouldn't mix on your plate... :P
What's more culture shock for high tech hard-ish sci fi settings than hidden magic? ;)
Old 07-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Astromancer

Here's a data dump meant to make part of the setting clearer.

The Dalou'laoshi, also known as the Five Elemental Dragons, is a group of technomancers operating in Asia. Initially its own organization, it was (sort of) subsumed into the Order of Reason (and later, the Technocratic Union). Although it exists as part of the larger organization, the Technocracy is unaware that it still exists as a distinct entity. The Dalou'laoshi refer to the Technocracy as the Five Metal Dragons.

The Dalou'laoshi have five Conventions which are similar enough to the Conventions of the Technocracy that they can successfully "hide" within them.

Conventions

Miao Guan, who are dedicated to direct mental control of the self and of others to maintain peace and order. Hide within the New World Order.

Saensaeng, who are dedicated to maintaining art, honor, and cultural purity in the face of globalization. Hide within Iteration X.

Taiping Tianguo, who are dedicated to the pursuit of individual freedom and entertainments. Hide within the Syndicate.

Zaibatsu, who are dedicated to the absolute elimination of all supernatural entities. Hide within the Void Engineers.

Zi Guang, who are dedicated to seeking the perfection of the human form. Hide within the Progenitors.

************************************************** *******************************

More later on how I'm setting up the campaign. That might make suggestions easier.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 07-21-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Basically a powerful Hermetic Mage figures out how to get rid of the Avatar Storm (a major metaplot development in the last couple of years of the setting). He realised this will leave Paradox much weaker at the edges and that the TU might try to block any attempt to clear the storm away.

The Hermetic and a group of his allies come up with a plan to get the TU to cooperate and weaken the groups most hostile to the Trads. Basically the weakened Paradox is sold to the Lab Rats as a chance to advance technology at a radical rate (in the metaplot the sorrow and hopelessness of the World of Darkness had slowed technological change). Thus allowing the technocratic Utopia. All the Trads wanted was freedom to be themselves, the right to bring PSI into the consensus, and memetics. The deal was struck.
THis is interesting, I've been thinking about getting back to GURPS: Mage the Ascension recently. I was thinking of combining it with Infinite Worlds, which is much easier to mix up than Transhuman Space, since it was designed to be mixed up.

One question I'd focus on is how all the different Traditions take this development. Psi and memetics might work for some Hermetics, and opening up technological advance in general is great for Etherites and Virtual Adepts. What's in it for Dreamspeakers, the Celestial Chorus, Verbena or Euthanatos? I have the feeling that Cult of Ecstasy and Akashics might be able to work better using psi and memetics than some of the other mystic traditions, and see possibilities for their own paradigms to be expanded in a 'science fiction' future (especially if they read things like Dune, or Stranger in a Strange Land), so they might be able to be convinced to support the new alliance.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
THis is interesting, I've been thinking about getting back to GURPS: Mage the Ascension recently. I was thinking of combining it with Infinite Worlds, which is much easier to mix up than Transhuman Space, since it was designed to be mixed up.

One question I'd focus on is how all the different Traditions take this development. Psi and memetics might work for some Hermetics, and opening up technological advance in general is great for Etherites and Virtual Adepts. What's in it for Dreamspeakers, the Celestial Chorus, Verbena or Euthanatos? I have the feeling that Cult of Ecstasy and Akashics might be able to work better using psi and memetics than some of the other mystic traditions, and see possibilities for their own paradigms to be expanded in a 'science fiction' future (especially if they read things like Dune, or Stranger in a Strange Land), so they might be able to be convinced to support the new alliance.
I've often thought that Mage:the Ascension and Infinite worlds gel well with each other, since M:tA magic (Realm Magic in GURPS: Thaumatology terms) draws on Quintessence, the basis of reality, rather than on Mana, which ought to vary from world to world. The advantages of Quintessence/Realm Magic over Mana Magic can be balanced with Paradox or Mage: the Sorceror's Crusade's The Scourge.

As for the trads and PSI, the Hermetics picked PSI because it provides a generally good cover for many kinds of magic. The point was to make a greal deal more magic coincedental. In my setting the Hermetics are teamed in this project with the Cult of Ecstasy, the Euthanatos, the Etherites, and the Virtual Adepts. The Akashics and the Verbena were neutral, and have mixed feelings on the outcomes. The Dreamspeakers like the idea of better cover, but see the Hermetics as hopelessly arogant (no matter what the Hermetics do) and fear the end of the cultures that sustain their faiths. The Celestial Chorus also sees the Hermetics as arrogent, are disgusted at the fact that people may look on miracles as a form of PSI and look at the mega-boom unleashed by the tech surge as crushing Faith.

The Techos also vary in their views. The Void Engineers are in Space! There are moonbases, space colonies, and so much more. The settlement of space isn't as advanced as in normal THS, but people are rushing out to the solar system. Both Iteration X and the Progenitors are dancing in the streets. They're seeing many of their dreams come true and the Desk Jockeys be dammed if they get in the way. All the Lab Rats are wondering if they should make it The Council of the Twelve Traditions!

The Desk Jockeys are split. Both Memetics and Psi are attractive to the New World Order, but they've no control of things. The Syndicate is totally focused of the vast amounts of money being made from the ecconomic boom that has flowed from the huge jump in technology. They aren't particularly focused of anything but the money flow, so the NWO is pretty much left alone.

The Dalou'laoshi are miserable. Change is stampeding through East Asia and they can't do much to control or stop it. The Ali-Batin are furious because their attempt to create and stablise a Medieval Islamic state in the Near East (Saudi-Arabia) is both slamed with change and going broke because oil has lost most of its price. The Taftani see all the wild crazy changes and are learning new ways to to avoid paradox while attacking the consensus. Which has led to viscious in-fighting. But what doesn't with them.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 02-09-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Astromancer

The Dalou'laoshi, need more details because the datadump I gave is only partially correct. The Dalou'laoshi five Conventions really aren't that similar to the Conventions of the Technocracy but they do successfully "hide" within them.

Conventions

The Miao Guan, are legalists dedicated to control of the self and of others to maintain peace and order. They are skilled at warping the colective unconscious and warping the souls of humanity to their goals. They see Free Will as a dangerous Luxury. They do hide within the New World Order, but they can be found elsewhere..

The Saensaeng, are cultural imperialists, they are dedicated to their cultures (Japan and Korea) and worship cultural purity. They dispise all other Cultures. Note: this isn't mere snobery were they simply see their cultures as better but can see some attractive and interesting features in other cultures, they see all cultures but their own as degenerate and vile. They might gravitate toward Iteration X, but they would be found in all conventions.

The Taiping Tianguo, Love risk and thrills. They may hide within the Syndicate more than other groups, but that's only because they like money and are honest about that. But they go were the thrills are, so they are common enough amoung they Void Engineers and play spy vs. spy for the New World Order.

The Zaibatsu, who are dedicated to the absolute elimination of all supernatural entities, all work with those Void Engineers who protect humanities borders and barriers. But they fit in with the other conventions better.

The Zi Guang, are dedicated racists amoung a group of racists and ethnocentrists. They are seeking the perfection of the human form, as long as that form is East Asian by blood and culture. The Progenitors are attractive to them in many ways but they share few values.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 02-09-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Astromancer

Some details on global regions in this setting.

The USA was ground Zero for technological and social change. The long standing Hermetic Goal of Reforming/Radically improving the US Educational system was no longer opposed by the Technocracy (they had been afraid of any changes that weren't strictly their party line or something to keep the masses down). Because of the timing of events, the Left generally gets the credit from the electorate for the massive ecconomic boom. This USA has a social welfare system that compares favorably with that of the Scandinavian nations in the eyes of Progressives. Crime is at an all time low. The arts, both high culture and popular are booming and vibrant.

Canada is having it's golden age. They've never had as much of as many good things nor as vibrant a cultural scene as they do now. Mexico could make similar claims, except for the continuing morrass in and around Mexico City, which frustraits the Mexican people by being a chaotic mess (and the Sabbat Vampires are determined to keep it that way.) Friendly rivalries in cultural and sports venues are a joyful game these three nations play.

The Caribbean and Central American Nations are also doing just fine. Gentically modified crops which requier little or no pesticides or fertilisers garrentee both stable food supplies and strong exports. The food processing industies and sucrochemicals (which have largely replaced petrochemicals in this setting) provide the region with a steady manufacturing base.

South America is more mixed. Nations like Columbia, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and Uraguay, which embraced the changes thrived. Nations like Venezuela, Ecuador, and Argentina, which resisted the changes, are miserable. However, their are region wide initatives which are imporving the situation rapidly.

The EU, Russia, and Central Asia largely resisted the wild technological advances of the last few decades. There ecconomies are largely depressed. Russia has the additional problem that the petroleum is falling still further. As a reasource based ecconomy they are seriously disturbed by a collapse in reasource prices. The EU is changing toward acceptence of the new Bio-Technologies, but this is slow. Austerity ecconomic policies are stifling ecconomic growth.

More Later...

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 02-09-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
Astromancer

I'll get back to Europe later.

Africa is booming. The 2016-2026 decade was the African Green Revolution (European Greens bitterly resented the use of Gengineered crops, but poor farmers embraced them). Those African nations that were more democratic are in the middle of industrial developement/revolution.

Most African nations pretty much see Japan, South Korea, Germany, and the USA, as the nations to model ideas for industrialisation from. A pan-African Postal Union has been formed and there has been a pan-African treaty on Standardization of Rail gauges throughout the continent. A customs union is being worked on.

Absolute poverty is vastly reduced thoughout the continent. The new middle-classes are buying a good deal of art, mainly pop art(or rather an African variation on Pop Art). Africa's culture is booming and Afro-pop is the planetary sound in this setting. African styles and fashions are sweeping the planet and African films are as big as Bollywood.

India, both because of the new technologies and it's trade links to Africa, is having boom times as well. The per capita income in India is higher than most Eastern European nations. India is officially no longer a Third World nation.

More later, as I think it out.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 02-09-2014 at 01:21 PM.