Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #11
Macunaima

Default Re: Ogre and GEV Usable Miniatures

Polish manufacturer Oddzial Osmy has 3mm (1/600) figures that work a treat for Ogre. You can buy them in North America via Pico Armor:

https://www.picoarmor.com

USD 3.50 will get you 15 castings.

Here’s a link to my blog which shows the beginning of a 3mm Ogre set up:

http://leadnobleed.blogspot.com.br/2...ves-along.html

Last edited by Macunaima; 02-20-2018 at 03:32 AM.
Macunaima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #12
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macunaima View Post
Polish manufacturer Oddzial Osmy has 3mm (1/600) that work a treat for Ogre. You can buy them in North America via Pico Armor:

https://www.picoarmor.com

USD 3.50 will get you 15 castings.

Here’s a link to my blog which shows the beginning of a 3mm Ogre set up:

http://leadnobleed.blogspot.com.br/2...ves-along.html
Wow...you do great work. How do you get the stripes so even?
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #13
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

That city is exceptionally great.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #14
ColBosch

I am really inspired by seeing people's various solutions for city markers. Once I get my current collection of minis finished, I think I'm going to see about doing some cities of my own.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:33 AM   #15
Macunaima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
That city is exceptionally great.
Thanks, Steve! It is made out of bits from Spartan Games OoP “ground facilities” pack for their spaceship game (the name of which escapes me).

Last edited by Macunaima; 02-20-2018 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:53 AM   #16
Macunaima

If I had known the new minis were coming out, I’d have waited. But given that most of my miniatures terrain is now 3mm, this was a quick and easy way to play Ogre Minis. It has the advantage, also, of making a standard GEV map a half meter square in terms of table footprint.

I am now making some more abstract terrain for quick games. This is based on painted “foamie” hexes, eaxh one 20mm across.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #17
TheAmishStig

Quote:
If I had known the new minis were coming out, I’d have waited. But given that most of my miniatures terrain is now 3mm, this was a quick and easy way to play Ogre Minis. It has the advantage, also, of making a standard GEV map a half meter square in terms of table footprint.

I am now making some more abstract terrain for quick games. This is based on painted “foamie” hexes, eaxh one 20mm across.
Looks good! I think I'm gonna steal the 3mm-terrain idea for when I get around to doing my own "Oversized Hexes" setup.

Because of the difference between Figure scale and Map scale, 3mm looks like it'd be really workable for official minis + oversized hexes, in the spirit of what Desert Scribe did a couple years ago. Taking Ogre full-3D, what your battlefield looks like comes down to what you decide to do with hexes vs inches, what you do relative to map space (I won't say 'map scale', because that's nearly 1:40,000...may as well use candy sprinkles for skyscrapers at that point) vs what you decide to do relative to the figures themselves, etc.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #18
Macunaima

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Looks good! I think I'm gonna steal the 3mm-terrain idea for when I get around to doing my own "Oversized Hexes" setup.

Because of the difference between Figure scale and Map scale, 3mm looks like it'd be really workable for official minis + oversized hexes, in the spirit of what Desert Scribe did a couple years ago. Taking Ogre full-3D, what your battlefield looks like comes down to what you decide to do with hexes vs inches, what you do relative to map space (I won't say 'map scale', because that's nearly 1:40,000...may as well use candy sprinkles for skyscrapers at that point) vs what you decide to do relative to the figures themselves, etc.
Steve’ go-to excuse for perceived scale difference is brilliant: we are actually watching a battle in a hologram tank, where things are abstracted out.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #19
ColBosch

Quote:
Steve’ go-to excuse for perceived scale difference is brilliant: we are actually watching a battle in a hologram tank, where things are abstracted out.
It's the same excuse we use when playing BattleTech. ;)
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:03 PM   #20
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
It's the same excuse we use when playing BattleTech. ;)
That's because it's a good excuse! But when we play Battletech, we look up the excuse in the index and are told it's on page 412, flip around a bit to find out that inserting images added 9 pages and it's actually on page 421, and end up at a paragraph that reads "for the text of the excuse, see 'Unfolding the mapsheets' on page 198."

(Can you tell I was digging around a Catalyst-penned sourcebook last night? I may or may not be a little frustrated and may or may not be wearing an exaggeration thereof on my sleeve)
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote