Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-02-2018, 09:02 AM   #591
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Recently in the Gotham's White Night quest on SV.com, the QM, SeptimusMagisto, brought out a chapter on the hauntings of Arkham Asylum. While the exact characters involved would be different (there's no 'Bruce Wayne' on Earth-2 (and the man who dresses like a bat in that Gotham can't see ghosts like the one in the quest can), Hugo Strange is an inmate at the asylum by 'now,' et cetra), the general feel of the chapter quite effectively describes what Jason Blood or another spiritually aware person might experience when taking a tour of the place. Gotham of Earth-2 is a bad place in general, but the Arkham Asylum Annex for the Criminally Insane is one of the nastier parts, a focal point of evil, madness, and corruption... and yes, it can move if the asylum moves, or if a new place is established as a replacement.

If you are interested you might want to add the fundamentals of your creations to the GURPS wiki. It will make it a lot easier to keep the overall settings straight. I've some some of the basics with Five Earths, All in a Row and five reference pages. Note they all link back to this thread so you can skip some of the details.

Last edited by maximara; 08-02-2018 at 09:19 AM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #592
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
If you are interested you might want to add the fundamentals of your creations to the GURPS wiki. It will make it a lot easier to keep the overall settings straight. I've some some of the basics with Five Earths, All in a Row and five reference pages. Note they all link back to this thread so you can skip some of the details.
Thank you. I'll be updating the individual worldline articles a bit later on, hopefully when more awake.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #593
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
OK, it's been a few hours, so new post, instead of an edit to the existing one.

A while ago, there was a discussion in the main thread on SB.com about the lack of standardized names for each Earth, due to the fact that the various planets each have their own way of designating them, and don't want to adopt the ones the others use, but I didn't say who uses what. I'm now correcting that:

As most of you know, Infopunk Earth goes by order of age, mostly calling itself 'Earth One', Dieselpunk Earth 'Earth Two', Steampunk Earth 'Earth Three', Clockpunk Earth 'Earth Four', and Fantasy Earth 'Earth Five'.

Dieselpunk Earth, OTOH, goes in order of position in the line of Earths, with itself as 'Earth One', Fa-Earth as 'Earth Two', Inp-Earth as 'Earth Three', Clp-Earth as 'Earth Four', and Stp-Earth as 'Earth Five'.

Steampunk Earth also goes in order of position in the line of Earths, with itself as 'A-Earth', Clp-Earth as 'B-Earth', Inp-Earth as 'C-Earth,' Fa-Earth as 'D-Earth', and Dp-Earth as 'E-Earth' (though astronomers sometimes switch the letter to the back instead of the front, saying 'Earth-C' rather than 'C-Earth', but that's usually a matter of language).

Clockpunk Earth does not have a sufficiently united astronomical community to have a standard set of designations, but the European astronomical community seems intent on giving the Earths individual names. It's too soon to say for certain, but they seem to have mostly settled on calling their own world whatever each language called it, before, calling Inp-Earth 'Autocthonia', and Fa-Earth 'Terra' (though some want to use 'Gaia' for Fa-Earth), and are still debating what to call Stp-Earth and Dp-Earth. It's been only a few months, after all, and communication isn't brilliantly fast, even if it is a lot faster than in the Europe of our 1556.

Like Clp-Earth, Fantasy Earth lacks a particularly unified astronomical community, but thanks to Arthur's spirit-children, the Romans do know how old each Earth is, and thus have adopted a system based on age like Inp-Earth, but in the reverse order: They label their own Earth 'Terra I', Clp-Earth 'Terra II', Stp-Earth 'Terra III', Dp-Earth 'Terra IV', and Inp-Earth 'Terra V'.
I've converted this into a quick reference table over at the GURPS wiki which I think is a lot easy to tell what Earth is being referred to at a glance.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #594
warellis

Quote:
I've converted this into a quick reference table over at the GURPS wiki which I think is a lot easy to tell what Earth is being referred to at a glance.
I think Dieselpunk-Earth would be like TL(6+x) or something right?
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:31 PM   #595
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
I think Dieselpunk-Earth would be like TL(6+x) or something right?
Pretty much though I realized something as I added the Quantum that was provided for each of the Earths.

Infopunk Earth is right smack dab in Homeline's backyard of Q5 but none of the Earths is in Centurm's back yard of Q8.

Worse yet Steampunk Earth is in Reich-5's Q3 backyard

This puts Infinity at a slight disadvantage with regards to Centurm and Reich-5 but for them to take advantage of the situation they need to have a rocket or magical means that can take them to Infopunk Earth.

But all that is not the fun part. Infopunk Earth was an Echo of our Earth until December 21, 2012 which means all GURPS books published that year or earlier exist on that Earth as well - including GURPS Infinite Worlds.

On a related note if Fantasy Earth is using Roma Arcana as one of its baselines then it should, like that reality, have Mana: normal (low in cities), mana based spells require Pacts with local spirits. Remember Isis does not grant Power Investiture but Magery instead. In a No mana world she couldn't function like this.

Simply if analogs to Alan Scott and Giovanni "John" Zatara exist in addition to Doctor Fate and Captain Marvel then the mana level of Dieselpunk Earth should be low with spots of normal levels. I think that the Spectre was powered by God even in the Golden Age so him running around would have no bearing on the mana level.

Last edited by maximara; 08-03-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:09 PM   #596
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
The problem is that since it's 1940 in Dsp-Earth, I don't really think "pulp" is appropriate anymore because that's when superheroes started to develop. Pulp settings thematically fit in the 1920s and early 1930s I believe.
Pulps actually continued clear into the 1950s but paper shortages during the war put a major crimp on their output in the 1940s. The 1957 liquidation of American News Company is often marked as the end of the pulp era; it also helped kill many comic lines printed by the smaller companies.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:41 AM   #597
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
I don't think East Asian cultures on Inp-Earth are really any better about homosexuality. Take Japan for example and that whole "Schoolgirl Lesbian Romance" thing a lot of anime has. One thing you notice is that it's considered okay for the girls to engage in that when they're younger but as they grow up they're supposed to drop it and get married to a man because Schoolgirl Lesbianism is childish and a sign of immaturity. That doesn't seem very friendly to lesbianism.
Is that present in the actual anime or is that after the US censors get done with it?

Remember Uranus and Neptune went from a high school lesbian couple to cousins thanks to the censors in the US.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #598
maximara
On Notice

I've reread the thread and added material to the GURPS wiki though I changed a few things to match some of the reference material.

Five Earths, All in a Row is the main reference page taking, via links, to each the various Earths.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:11 PM   #599
warellis

Quote:
Is that present in the actual anime or is that after the US censors get done with it?

Remember Uranus and Neptune went from a high school lesbian couple to cousins thanks to the censors in the US.
No, it's an actual cultural belief in Japan.

Truth be told, while homosexuality is less blatantly stigmatised in Japan, I always got the feeling most consumers of anime & manga there only like it in the sense of "girl on girl is hot", hence why you often see lesbian or bisexual females so much.

Not that I have a problem with it really.

And frankly, a lot of East Asian cultures are often more conservative culturally in some ways, for better or worse.
Quote:
Pulps actually continued clear into the 1950s but paper shortages during the war put a major crimp on their output in the 1940s. The 1957 liquidation of American News Company is often marked as the end of the pulp era; it also helped kill many comic lines printed by the smaller companies.
I always associated pulp with more the mystery men/dashing adventurer type era and less into the superhero era I guess.

EDIT: I'm wondering something, since all the magic in-setting is based on psi-stuff, does that mean none mana isn't being used?
Quote:
But all that is not the fun part. Infopunk Earth was an Echo of our Earth until December 21, 2012 which means all GURPS books published that year or earlier exist on that Earth as well - including GURPS Infinite Worlds.
Well for Infinite Worlds, wouldn't there be the possibility it might get things wrong enough? Like it's a "based on a true story" sort of thing almost?

Last edited by warellis; 08-03-2018 at 03:25 PM.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #600
Prince Charon

OK, I made a few small edits, like correcting the mana level of Fantasy Earth (no mana - all native 'magic' on all these worlds is psi-based, which I'm not sure the infobox has an entry or notation for, but some of them have some mana anyway, that isn't used natively).

I think I posted infoboxes for each of the Five Earths in this thread somewhere, though they may be out of date.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 earths in a row, alternative earths, infinite worlds