Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #171
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

I'm certain the opposite of Fertility would be far more in demand of local witches. When your next kid might kill you or at the very least be too much of a burden financial or otherwise, women sought out such help even when illegal and dangerous.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #172
Langy

On the other hand, fertility for plants and animals would be in demand by farmers.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #173
ajardoor

Ether Purge/Power Drain
Spell Effects: Greater Destroy Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: None.
Greater Effects: 1 (x3).

The subject of this spell must resist or have her mana reserve emptied - the subject must be within range of the caster (by default, 10 yards).

Typical Casting: Greater Destroy Magic (5) + Range, 10 yards (4). 27 energy (9x3).

Escape the Grasp of the Reaper
Spell Effects: Greater Strengthen Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Unaging.

For the duration (by default, 6 months) of the spell, the target has the Unaging advantage (B95).

Typical Casting: Greater Strengthen Body (3) + Duration, 6 months (16) + Altered Trait, Unaging (15) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 111 energy (37x3).
Old 11-17-2014, 03:43 AM   #174
Flyndaran
Untagged

That last one is obscenely expensive for such a minor in game advantage. It also precludes any other strengthen body spell which is a pretty severe drawback.

If you're playing a MH Witch that can sling spells over 1000 points like nothing, then okay. But so many posters assume such comic book power levels and invoke large energy bloat, in my opinion.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #175
Anders

I don't think you need a Greater Effect to not age visibly in six months. Unless you're a mouse or something.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #176
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Ether Purge/Power Drain
Spell Effects: Greater Destroy Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: None.

The subject of this spell must resist or have her mana reserve emptied - the subject must be within range of the caster (by default, 10 yards).

Typical Casting: Greater Destroy Magic (5) + Range, 10 yards (4). 27 energy (9x3).
I could see this as Lesser Destroy Magic, but as an Internal Damage affect targeting FP. That is, it would be a 9 energy spell that destroyed 1d ER.

Quote:

For the duration (by default, 6 months) of the spell, the target has the Unaging advantage (B95).

Typical Casting: Greater Strengthen Body (3) + Duration, 6 months (16) + Altered Trait, Unaging (15) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 111 energy (37x3).
A lot of the price here is due to Unaging being overpriced (it's probably closer to a Perk, honestly). As a lack of aging is only noticeable after a long period of time, a Lesser Strengthen Body is probably sufficient. The big problem with this spell is that it precludes later Greater (or Lesser, if using my suggestion) Strengthen Body effects, due to Stacking Spells. I can't recall if you have the option to dismiss a spell at will with RPM; if not, you may want to include a Lesser Control Magic effect so that you can switch it off if you need to buff yourself with a lower-energy Strengthen Body effect.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #177
oneofmanynameless

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
A lot of the price here is due to Unaging being overpriced (it's probably closer to a Perk, honestly). As a lack of aging is only noticeable after a long period of time, a Lesser Strengthen Body is probably sufficient. The big problem with this spell is that it precludes later Greater (or Lesser, if using my suggestion) Strengthen Body effects, due to Stacking Spells. I can't recall if you have the option to dismiss a spell at will with RPM; if not, you may want to include a Lesser Control Magic effect so that you can switch it off if you need to buff yourself with a lower-energy Strengthen Body effect.
I'm inclined to agree with Varyon and everyone else who's saying that it should be a lesser effect based on how little the effect will be noticeable.

On the other hand. If being immortal is as simple as casting a 37 energy spell every six months than anyone with a decent path of body skill is likely to be very long lived and your world will have a very high number of powerful wizards and witchs running around. Immortality may not be that meaningful of an advantage for a PC to have, but it has a tremendous impact on the game world. So, for game world reasons, I'd have it still be a greater effect and even consider requiring some sort of extra game world price for it (one that doesn't just amount to energy: water from the fountain of youth, the blood of virgins, etc.)

If you do want it to just be a spell anyone with a good enough path of body could cast than it would make an interesting disadvantage for a witch character:
Maintain's Immortality: The witch cannot work lesser (or greater) strengthen body effects on themselves and any ritual using that spell effect worked on them automatically fails unless it's total energy is greater than 37 (or 111.) If such a spell IS worked on the witch, the witch must immediately find a way to dispel that spell and replace it with their own immortality ritual or they will start aging. Treat this as an short term goal obsession.

I'm not sure what the base point cost for that disadvantage would be...
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #178
Kalzazz

I'd think it would lesser since I could certainly see allowing elder monks, dragons vampires etc to take it no fuss no muss
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #179
Flyndaran
Untagged

It might be easier to just buy limited Unaging.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #180
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor;1837785[B
Escape the Grasp of the Reaper[/B]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I don't think you need a Greater Effect to not age visibly in six months. Unless you're a mouse or something.
Dump the greater effect and Altered Traits, you don't need them. Just the spell. Anything over a year at a time though I'd probably charge a Greater effect for. Alternatively, use a Restore effect and add a variant of healing that restores 1 month of your life per 1d - this way you don't have a constant spell going on and you've increased your lifespan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That last one is obscenely expensive for such a minor in game advantage. It also precludes any other strengthen body spell which is a pretty severe drawback.

If you're playing a MH Witch that can sling spells over 1000 points like nothing, then okay. But so many posters assume such comic book power levels and invoke large energy bloat, in my opinion.
All RPM casters regardless of point totals can achieve a relatively high school. Remember, skill represents fine control, but also how much energy you can tap at once. It's not uncommon for a caster to have a modified skill in the 18 range given places of power, grimoires, workspace kits, etc. which are supposed to be fairly common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It might be easier to just buy limited Unaging.
That's a option, you'd add "Magical, -10%" to it of course and it would represent the fact that you know some sort of secret spell that gives permanent advantages or you've used it on yourself so much it is a part of your magical make-up now.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology