Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
reb

Default new attributte question

i have been toying for a while with adding a wisdom attributte.
since it represents commen sense and other life experiances gained through ones experiances as one learns.
i dunno,i suppose i got used to using the stat so much in ad&d that i really miss it.
it's a must have stat for preists and druids.
what cost should i assign to it? 20 per sounds right,even 30,since wisdom takes so long to acquire.

the older a individual is,the higher their wisdom would be,to reflect the wisdom gained through life.

anybody else thought about this or added it to their games?
Old 05-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: new attributte question

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb View Post
i have been toying for a while with adding a wisdom attributte.
since it represents commen sense and other life experiances gained through ones experiances as one learns.
i dunno,i suppose i got used to using the stat so much in ad&d that i really miss it.
it's a must have stat for preists and druids.
what cost should i assign to it? 20 per sounds right,even 30,since wisdom takes so long to acquire.
Never felt a need for it.

When I was in a Mutants & Masterminds campaign a while back, the functions of Wisdom seemed to be to control perception, on one hand, and to represent strength of will, on the other. GURPS has both of those as aspects of IQ, and allows each of them to be bought up separately. And "priestly" skills such as Exorcism and Meditation are often based on Will.

Many other systems have stats that reflect a threefold division of body, mind, and soul. BESM has those stats by name; DC Heroes had three stats for each; In Nomine has corporeal, ethereal, and celestial attributes. It makes some sense to have the "soul" or "spirit" stats be linked to access to the divine, if your campaign has divinities.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Greg 1

Before I can answer your question, I think you need to nail down exactly what you want Wisdom to do.
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
pyratejohn

A friend of mine once categorized it this way. "Intelligence is opening a door and recognizing the tentacle-faced humanoid as a mindflayer. Wisdom is closing the door."

My take on it is that wisdom is handled through the actions of the players. Ymmv.

And... there are some existing advantages that could be classified as wisdom of sorts. Those things that give a character extra insight into what is going on. I'd give examples, but I'm bookless at the moment.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Azinctus

Quote:
I don't think the length of time to learn it governs how attributes are priced. Rather it is their utility. Since IQ and DX govern many rules and skills they cost a lot. Would your Wisdom skill govern many skills, would you make up or change many rules to rely on Wisdom? In working Wisdom into the game you might reduce the value of IQ and so might reduce the cost of IQ.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. I sometimes miss Wisdom and other artifacts from D&D. Twenty years is a long time to play a game. But in the end I resisted the temptation to make D&D more realistic and just learned to live with it and enjoy its more bizarre features. With GURPS I'm keener to understand why its different from D&D and embrace the GURPS way than to try and make GURPS like D&D.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
Refplace

I would either not do that or declare Wisdom as a calculated attribute based on IQ.
Then decide what you want it to do.
Does strong will count?
Perception?
Divine Power/Connection? Add Power Investiture

And if you want it based on Experience I would add the Common Sense Advantage and maybe even a Wisdom talent that added to the kinds of skills or rolls you want.

What GURPS does is boil it down to a few simple and core attributes then gives you a lot of modifiers you can tweak for more complexity if you want or to better fit a character type or inspiration.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
reb

alrighty then.
now i know why i have never implemented it so far.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
davidtmoore

Quote:
= advantages.

The least-effort solution might be collect advantages like Common Sense, Intuition, Danger Sense, Empathy, and Versatile (and disadvantages like Clueless, Callous/Low Empathy, Oblivious, and Hidebound), fit them to some scale, and offer that up to the players.
davidtmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
Maz

Actually going by mechanics and feel, and not name

GURPS IQ = D&D wisdom. It covers social interaction, Wisdom, Perception and Will power.

D&D Int = GURPS Skill points, Talents (and Magery for spell users).

There is no need for a new stat you just have to see past the names into the actual meaning of IQ.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
Anaraxes

Note that children have lower IQ than adults. This is not because they're stupid. It's because they haven't learned everything yet. Experience and learning is part of GURPS IQ.

Common Sense is a particular advantage. Other aspects of D&D Wisdom are covered by other advantages: consider True Faith, Power Investiture, and so on.

GURPS isn't really about the stats. The stats normalizers are now agape, so let me rapidly agree that yes, stats are very important in GURPS. But your character isn't primarily defined by its stats. It's primarily defined by its skills, advantages, and disadvantages.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
attributes