Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
OddGamer

Default Enhanced Speed acceleration enhancement

Looking for a good price on an enhancement to allow one to accelerate (and decelerate) with Enhanced Move faster than what it says.

As I understand it, if you had Enhanced Move 10, then going from a standing start to full speed takes close to twenty minutes. Yes, one could improve Basic Move to cut down the number of levels of Enhanced Move needed to achieve a certain speed, but I want a character that is capable if very high rates of speed and can reach top speed quickly but isn't running whole football fields in tactical combat.

Any ideas what the enhancement for this should cost?
OddGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: Enhanced Speed acceleration enhancement

In power designer notes
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/sample.html?id=5782
* Cosmic, +50% on Enhanced Move to allow acceleration to full speed in just one turn.
* Cosmic, +50% on both Enhanced Move and any underlying movement ability to gain complete maneuverability: turn on a dime, never make maneuver rolls, etc.
Also
in RPK house rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.mygurps.com/h_modifiers.html
* Cosmic (No Acceleration)*: It does not take you time to accelerate; you can achieve your top speed instantly and may decelerate instantly as well. This does not change any of the other High-Speed Movement rules, though you can get around that by decelerating completely on one turn, changing your facing on the second turn, and accelerating again on the third. +50%
* Cosmic (No Handling Effects)*: You do not have to make control rolls under normal circumstances. You can make precise turns and decelerate quickly without rolling, but you still have to roll if you are injured, encounter a hazard, etc. +50%
* Second-Nature: You have the ability to adjust your speed instantly and make minute course corrections without effort. In game terms, calculate your maximum speed and treat it as your normal Move in the appropriate environment (not as Enhanced Move.) You never have to worry about acceleration, deceleration, hazards, control rolls, etc. You cannot sprint any faster. This enhancement is only appropriate in high-powered, four-color games, and makes the two Cosmic enhancements above redundant. For typical characters, this is only cost effective for Ground Move 30+ or Air/Space Move 120+. +150%
Hope this help

celjabba
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
PK

And lest anyone accuse me of plagiarism, I'd like to point out that the footnote to the asterisks of the first two entries is "* This enhancement originally appeared in the GURPS Powers Designer's Notes".

Second-Nature is obviously those two Cosmics plus yet another Cosmic, "Speed counts as Move for combat (Step, AoA move distance, etc.)", which wouldn't make any sense without the first two already taken, which is why it's not listed separately.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty
And lest anyone accuse me of plagiarism, I'd like to point out that the footnote to the asterisks of the first two entries is "* This enhancement originally appeared in the GURPS Powers Designer's Notes".
Perish the thought! <quickly deletes inculpatory email>

JK! *g*
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:44 AM   #5
transmetahuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty

Second-Nature is obviously those two Cosmics plus yet another Cosmic, "Speed counts as Move for combat (Step, AoA move distance, etc.)", which wouldn't make any sense without the first two already taken, which is why it's not listed separately.
The first two are also in GURPS Supers, which makes them published and official "RAW" or "RAP" or whatever, if that's important to anyone.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote