Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-14-2006, 02:17 PM   #41
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: The One Ring...

<shrug> Not so much "indescribable" as "too powerful to stat easily". Part of the issue is, the Ring will give more power to a more powerful entity. Frankly, I think the best idea on this thread was the writeup of the Ring as an Ally - that will at least increase in value as the character does.
Basically, most "Ring Powers" should really be bought by the character, with the -40% "granted by Ally" limitation. For example, to model the greatly increased energy available from the Morgoth Element, just buy a big Energy Reserve, or more Fatigue, at -40%.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:29 PM   #42
Gavynn

The thing is, even though I fully understand the urge to want to stat out the One Ring (and it has been done in MERP and the Decipher RPG) I am not sure that it really matters. No player in a LotR game I ran would have "get hold of it". It is a major plot element. Now I also understand that it might be useful to want to stat it out even if it never appeared in your game, just as a "benchmark" of sorts. But I don't think a proper consensus could be easily reached.

Gavynn
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #43
Ragabash Moon

Has anyone mentioned the corrupting/obsession effect it has? The Ringwraiths were the human kings that Sauron gave the lesser rings to, are they not (though that could be the lesser rings therefore)? Bilbo is very reluctant to give it up, even gets hostile to keep it. Then Gollum, isn't he formerly a hobbit, or some such creature, and 'my precious' has corrupted mentally and physically him into the grotesque creature he is now?

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote