Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #31
Skarg

Default Re: Entering A Hex With A Body

^ Yes. There's often a nice tension in the mid-to-end-battle phase, where there are choices about whether you want to move to places where you can help but you're also at a disadvantage because it means a broken ground DX penalty for standing on a body, or possibly falling and ending up on the ground in front of an opponent.

To me, these are all clear examples that call for not removing certain details:

* The broken ground DX mod is needed to keep body pile terrain effects even when people aren't moving much.

* As in Advanced Melee, having falling give the loss of your next action, i.e. you lose an action BEFORE the action when you can get up, is crucial to avoid weird situations where someone trips and falls on their face in front of you, but you somehow still don't get a chance to hit them with any DX bonus for them being down, or even to escape being engaged by them, because they take an action to stand up and re-engage you again before you get a chance.

* The possibility of falling should be there, but I like the proposed options that let you use MA to avoid it as long as there is also a penalty for fighting from a body hex (or else bodies become irrelevant in many situations). I've often used nearly identical house tweaks to the one suggested (always with a DX penalty, too) and think it's one of the best ways to do it.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #32
RobW

The recent thread about what phase people stand up reminds me:

It should be clear that jumping over a body/obstacle to a clear hex on the other side does not work if you would be engaged in the hex with the body/obstacle.

Jumping over bodies and obstacles. Use 3 MA to move 2 spaces and jump over the obstacle to a clear hex on the other side. You may not jump over a hex if that means you pass through the front hexes of an enemy figure. You may jump into engagement, but not through an engagement!
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #33
Skarg

I'd rather you can jump, but if you do, someone who can reach the hex you jump through or out of gets a free attack on you during movement.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #34
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I'd rather you can jump, but if you do, someone who can reach the hex you jump through or out of gets a free attack on you during movement.
I find attacks of opportunity intriguing but I always have trouble with the fact that if twenty people jump past you, you can make twenty attacks in a turn. If you make an attack of opportunity, should it maybe count as your action?
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #35
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
I find attacks of opportunity intriguing but I always have trouble with the fact that if twenty people jump past you, you can make twenty attacks in a turn. If you make an attack of opportunity, should it maybe count as your action?
Well, probably, or at least limit it to one opportunity attack per opportunity-attacker, and then they can act normally during the action phase.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #36
Rick_Smith

Default Ignoring engagement rules - free attacks.

Quote:
Hi Zot,
I do not think so.

I've been using my rules for years, and in practice people do not want to give free attacks to the enemy. It is rare to see one free attack during movement. I can't remember someone getting two free attacks, but it likely happened some time. I don't think anyone has ever got 3 free attacks in one turn.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 07-19-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Rick_Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #37
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
(I know it's not TFT, nor even GURPS . . . but in 5e, you get one reaction per turn, and a single opportunity attack uses it up, so That Other Game gives you ONE, and there are lots of OTHER things you can do with said reaction that you can no longer do once you use it. Likewise, if you burn your reaction doing Something Else, you don't get to make an opportunity attack. So even in a game with six-second rounds, that action economy is limited. In a game with one-second rounds, I personally like the GURPS solution: you can Wait, or else they can get by you. One second just ain't that much time if you're doing something else like not trying to get all kilt and bludy simultaneously.)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:20 PM   #38
Skarg

Default Re: Ignoring engagement rules - free attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
I've been using my rules for years, and in practice people do not want to give free attacks to the enemy. It is rare to see one free attack during movement. I can't remember someone getting two free attacks, but it likely happened some time. I don't think anyone has ever got 3 free attacks in one turn.
That makes sense for rational fighters...

But what should the GM have happen when there's an irrational situation where 10+ figures are somehow driven to do so?
Old 07-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #39
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
That makes sense for rational fighters...

But what should the GM have happen when there's an irrational situation where 10+ figures are somehow driven to do so?
Like megahex avert past a "receiving line?"
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:33 AM   #40
Skarg

Quote:
Like megahex avert past a "receiving line?"
Well Avert only requires two hexes increased distance, so it'd be a trick to get 10+ that way, but Word of Command: Flee, or:

* a mob of suicidal fanatics or whatever mindset might require them to all jump past someone

* a mob of terrified people, especially if the person being jumped past is standing around a corner so they don't realize what is happening, of the place they are is about to fall into a pit of lava.

* a stampeding crowd

It may never come up, but if it does?