Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default Pricing these limitations: Super-Effort-like FP cost and "Only With Super-Effort"

A line of thought that comes out of my quest for better Supers templates, is this: how do you create a version of ST/TK/Control for characters who might want to upgrade to Super-Effort at some point, but don't want to invest that much in ST right away? (especially given that you need 8 levels of ST, Super-Effort for it to be worthwhile) One way would be to let them buy "External ST (FP Cost, Super-Effort Style, -X%). That is, you'd pay 1 FP per lift, 1 FP per minute of pulling something, etc. Then, when you want to But how much would it cost? I'm guessing the same as normal "Costs FP," so -5%, but it's a little hard to compare–sometimes the FP cost ends up being less than normal "Costs FP," and I think sometimes it would end up being more (though the rules look a little fuzzy to me). It definitely seems less onerous than 1 FP/second... unless you are throwing multiple blows per second. So could you justify -10%? Could -10% be justified if you also can't combine it with Extra Effort? (which is also how Super-Effort works)

There's also the issue that the damage table doesn't define how much damage you do if you have ST 17 with ST +8/+50 from Super-Effort. So maybe allow External ST (Only With Super-Effort)? But again, how much is that worth? It seems at least as much of a limitation as "Only while flying", which is -30%. This also provides an alternative to "FP Cost, Super-Effort Style." Instead, take something like ST +1/+3 (Super-Effort, +300%) [40] and External ST +12 (Only with Super-Effort, -30%) [68], though that's a little clunky.

Thoughts?
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote