Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Not

Default Luck with limitation

Does it make sense to give the Luck advantage limitations such as [gambling only]? Would that be any different than a high gambling skill?
Not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Luck with limitation

In theory, you can always Limit Luck with -20% Aspected, for any Aspect that the GM accepts, which obviously mustn't be too broad nor too narrow.

Any subject Limitation that's more or less than -20% is outside of the RAW.

As for Luck Limited to Gambling only, I would personally not accept it, because of the abuse potential. It's simply not a flavour of Luck that anybody can have in my Ärth setting, for instance.

It depends a lot on how Gambling is handled, though. My concern is primarily high-stakes single rolls. Apart from potential abuse, it can become metagaming real fast.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Does it make sense to give the Luck advantage limitations such as [gambling only]? Would that be any different than a high gambling skill?
It's definitely different. One is "luck" (as well as Luck) and the other is "skill" as well as a Skill.

One fellow gets good cards in poker (though not very often) and the other makes his living by reading people's faces and knowing what their cards are by the way they hold their hands.

Mostly though, for -20% it's about the worst way to save 3pts ever.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Are you talking about the Gambling skill or Gambling the act? I'd say Aspected, Gambling, -20% covers the act of betting on things - reduce it by a further -20% for the skill itself.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
It would work just like Luck does elsewhere, allowing multiple attempts to make a roll, which is rather different than Gambling skill mechanically, though in terms of what is being modeled they aren't that different (RAW Gambling is not a realistic skill).

You are likely to be disappointed at how useless this is for Gambling though. GURPS Luck is primarily useful for negating critical failures, it doesn't actually increase the odds of success on tough rolls very much, so it's a poor way to increase your odds of winning a game of chance. Also note that if the odds are worse than 1 in 216, the GM ought not be resolving a game of chance with a single 3d6 roll in the first place, so luck is even less useful for anything with a really big payout.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
The Benj

I'd certainly say -20% is too little, but its worth remembering that Aspected is a smaller limit than many others because Luck comes in such small doses. Limiting something that you can use all the time means you intend to pursue the narrower circumstance as much as you can. DR that's only against fire suggests that you will seek out situations where that will help. That's less true of something where you're using up a temporary resource, as you're making a decision as to when to use it.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote