Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #61
DangerousThing

Default Re: So I dropped my sword... how do I pick it up (in combat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Possibly, you could also have a house rule where you allow an increase in Step distance for basic Move or Basic Speed, or just a perk or advantage which allows an increase in Step distance, which would allow a 2-3 meter "step" in one turn without having to take the Move action.
Or you could increase the character's move to 10+ which gives him a 2 yard/meter step.

And anybody who can be fast enough to hit somebody in 1/24th of a second probably has a high move.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #62
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Possibly, you could also have a house rule where you allow an increase in Step distance for basic Move or Basic Speed.
There is one, but that's not the relevant ability. Take a perk to remove the max skill 9 from move and attack.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #63
Kazander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Or you could increase the character's move to 10+ which gives him a 2 yard/meter step.
Actually, you need a Move of 11-20 to get a 2 yard step (B.368).
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #64
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
This is (in grossly simplified terms) a thrown weapon attack. See MA221 for the rules on throwing a sword: DX-4, or Thrown Weapon (Sword) if the GM allows that (likely cinematic) skill. "Throwing" with the feet is an extra complication. I'd use the Using Your Legs rules (MA79): -2 DX, +2 ST. So you'll either be making the attack at DX-6 or Thrown Weapon (Sword) -2. Of course, those rules are specific to grappling, which allows use of the entire leg rather than just the foot. In this case it may be appropriate to increase the DX penalty and/or get rid of the ST bonus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Isn't this what the proxy kicks rules are for?
Actually the fact that the question could be answered in both of these ways was part of the problem for me. Which of the two is "more right" because I don't personally know.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #65
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
Actually the fact that the question could be answered in both of these ways was part of the problem for me. Which of the two is "more right" because I don't personally know.
For Jackie Chan style comedy fighting, I'd use proxy attacks as that's clearly exactly what they were thinking of when they wrote those rules. Otherwise I'd be disinclined to allow it all.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #66
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
For Jackie Chan style comedy fighting, I'd use proxy attacks as that's clearly exactly what they were thinking of when they wrote those rules. Otherwise I'd be disinclined to allow it all.
It's clearly possible to launch objects at people using your feet, though flinging a sword point-first that way is even more dubious than doing so with your hands.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #67
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
It's clearly possible to launch objects at people using your feet,
Yes, but outside sports it's pretty silly.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #68
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Yes, but outside sports it's pretty silly.
Which means that it should be a less appealing option than picking something up and throwing it with your hands, not that it's impossible.

Sometimes you've got a good reason to not use your hands...

(Also, kicking a grenade away seems halfway reasonable, though in that situation your priority isn't on where it goes besides 'not here'.)
Old 09-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #69
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Which means that it should be a less appealing option than picking something up and throwing it with your hands, not that it's impossible.
I'd suggest that the player do something less likely to frustrate them and get into a weird stupid game-crashing argument.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #70
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Is this by-the-book using just the basic set, or basic set + martial arts?; because it doesn't jive completely with either as I read them.

BS only: pg 368 says you can step to change from a standing position to a kneeling one, and vice versa, so that would be Step and Ready, kneel and ready weapon (and you would be able to parry with it, though at a penalty for kneeling), then Step and Attack, stand and attack if target is within reach.

Martial Arts: pg 104 says 2 ready actions, one to pick up weapon (confirming the above step and kneel), another to ready it for combat. I also just noticed that there's where the DX/Fast-draw roll at -3 comes from; to ready it for combat as one ready maneuver.
Seriously, am I missing something here? By my reading, using only the basic set and ignoring the harsher update in Martial Arts, you should be able to:

turn 1: kneel (as the step part of your maneuver) and ready weapon from the ground.
turn 2: stand (as step part) and attack (if enemy is in range) or wait (if not).

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
readying, retain weapon