Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2006, 02:11 AM   #1
Anders

Default The One Ring...

What would this be worth as a gadget? :)
Old 12-11-2006, 03:55 AM   #2
The Colonel

Default Re: The One Ring...

Heh ... and now for a really big argument.
Usually starting by arguing about what it does.
Can I start by suggesting that whatever else it does, it's the focus for Sauron's 'Unkillable'?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:08 AM   #3
Jürgen Hubert

Depends who is using it, I guess.

It would be worth far more to an elder elf or Maia who could actually use most of its powers than to a hobbit or human who is mostly screwed.

And which version are we talking about? The book version (I can get away with using it as long as I am not within line of sight of a Nazghul or Barad-dur) or the movie version (Sauron spots me as soon as I put it on)?
Old 12-11-2006, 04:20 AM   #4
The Colonel

Perhaps we dial the benefits and disbenefits up in proportion to some facet of the user's magery? The nasty hobbitses, probably persons of no magery, get limited power and limited drawbacks, wheras a high magery immortal, or even a (magery 0?) nummenorian gets more of both...
Old 12-11-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
JoelSammallahti

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel
Perhaps we dial the benefits and disbenefits up in proportion to some facet of the user's magery? The nasty hobbitses, probably persons of no magery, get limited power and limited drawbacks, wheras a high magery immortal, or even a (magery 0?) nummenorian gets more of both...
Personally, I'd stat the One Ring as an enemy. What with the Afflictions and the Mind Control, a rather nasty one.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
Kaldrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti
Personally, I'd stat the One Ring as an enemy. What with the Afflictions and the Mind Control, a rather nasty one.
I'd say it exerts influence which grows over time. Certainly it affects those who have weaknesses of personality sooner, but it seems the more rooted in practicality you are the less of an effect it has on you.

It also confers long life spans for those who even carry it a short while.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti
Perhaps a character in its own right? After all, its an ally to Sauron... and probably, in the short term at least, to anyone on his side.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
What would this be worth as a gadget?
Can't answer that in GURPS. For Under the Shadow, my Tolkienian campaign, I wrote it up in BESM:

The One Ring

The One Ring can perform the following functions in itself:
o Contamination 1: Transforms a mortal wearer or user into an enslaved wraith over several months. [1]
o Heavy Armor 5: Hidden; optimized against flame and heat; stops 20 points. [20]
o Mind Control 3: Can give aggressive suggestions to one person who is wearing or carrying it, or nonaggressive suggestions to 2-6 people; works on sentient races only; only induces desires to exercise power or use or possess the One Ring. [6]
o Owned by a Megacorp 2: Owned by Sauron; near total ownership. [-2]
o Vulnerability 2: The fires of Mount Doom. [-2]
The One Ring confers the following powers on its wearer or possessor:
o Energy Bonus 5: +50 Energy Points, usable for working magic. [5]
o Features 1: For purposes of Telepathy, is “close to” the Three, Seven, and Nine. [1]
o Heightened Awareness 1: +2 bonus on all Stat checks to spot hidden things. [1]
o Invisibility 2: Invisible to normal vision at all times, even when attacking. [10]
o Mind Control 4: Can give aggressive suggestions to large groups (7-20) sequentially or simultaneously; only to wearers of the Three, Seven, and Nine. [8]
o Place of Power 6: Maintains Barad-Dur as a place of power for the Dark Lord, worth 90 Energy Points. [6]
o Sixth Sense 1 (Sense Spirits): Can see wights, wraiths, ghosts, and other invisible beings. [1]
o Special Defense 2: Unaging. [2]
o Telepathy 2: Can follow loud surface thoughts of sentient races only. [2]
o Telepathy 4: Can communicate with 2-6 people or mind probe one person; only works with wearers of the Three, Seven, and Nine. [4]

The One Ring is an Item of Power 8, granting 40 points of abilities to the wearer/possessor. [16] Not all wearers can use all its abilities.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote