Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
DaltonS

Default [Spaceships] Homebrew: Alternate Chemical Rocket Fuel

The only propellant for chemical rockets listed on SS1 p.21 is hydrogen-oxygen. While this combination may be the most efficient one in terms of mass, it is much less so in terms of volume. As a result, many rocket designers have chosen to use denser (if less efficient) propellants, sacrificing ΔV for reduced tankage requirements. (For more information on propellants, see the Rocket Propellants page(†) of the Rocket and Space Technology website.)

The ΔV and thrust provided by different propellants can be found by comparing their specify impulses (Isp). From the classic rocket equation ΔV = Isp × g × ln(Mp/Me), we can find the ΔV in miles/second of a single tank by multiplying the Isp by a constant equal to 21.8 × ln(20/19) / 3600 = 0.00031. Reversing this equation, the Isp of standard hydrogen-oxygen propellant is 0.15/0.00031= approx. 484 seconds. I've noticed that changes in ΔV vary inversely with those of thrust; therefore, the acceleration provided by a chemical rocket using a different propellant would be 3×484/Isp = 1,452/Isp Gs. The endurance of the tank would be Isp squared times 0.00031×3600/(1452×21.8) = 0.000035 seconds.
Example: According to page 13 of "Mars Direct: A Simple, Robust, and Cost Effective Architecture for the Space Exploration Initiative" by Robert M. Zubrin (Copyright © 1991 by Martin Marietta Corp.)"the optimum oxygen to methane combustion mixture ratio is about 3.5:1, as this provides for a specific impulse of 373 s" Thus, ΔV/tank for an O2/CH4 rocket would be 373×0.00031=0.11563 mps, with its thrust being 1,452/373=3.893 Gs. A tank of propellant is consumed every 4.9 seconds. A Mars Ascent Vehicle would require at least 13.5 tanks of propellant just to reach LMO (low Mars orbit, ΔV=2.48 mps).(Note that the mixture ratio is by volume, not mass. This will be important later.)
Calculating the cost of the propellant is a little trickier. Oxidizer/fuel mixture ratios are usually stated in terms of volume, not mass. The price per ton of propellant is (R×Mo×Po+Mf×Pf)/(R×Mo+Mf) with R being the volume mixture ratio and Mo/Mf and Po/Pf being the molecular weights and price/ton of oxidizer/fuel respectively.
Example: The price of liquid methane is $500 per ton (SS7 p.21). I tried in vain to locate a 4E price for liquid oxygen, so I had to calculate it from 3E sources. I got $18.99/ton from GURPS Transhuman Space and $20.83/ton from GURPS Vehicles 2nd Edition, so I'm splitting the difference and pegging it a $20/ton. Thus the price O2/CH4 propellent is (3.5×32×20+16×500)/(3.5×32+16)=$80/ton.
NOTE: Isp on this page are for sea level, not vacuum. This can make a significant difference.
Dalton “thinking about O2 for internal combustion” Spence

EDIT: I realized that I could deduce the 4E price of LOX from LH2/LOX rocket fuel. With Rocket fuel at $800, Hydrogen at $2,000 (SS1 p.46) and the ratio of oxygen to hydrogen by weight in water being 8:1, the 4E price of LOX would be ($800×9-$2,000)/8=$650/ton. Thus the price O2/CH4 propellant would be (3.5×32×650+16×500)/(3.5×32+16)=$631.25/ton.

Last edited by DaltonS; 03-23-2017 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Recalculated oxygen cost.
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Humabout

Default Re: [Spaceships] Homebrew: Alternate Chemical Rocket Fuel

Cool! Have you given any thought to peroxide engines? They require about 90% hydrogen peroxide to operate but look pretty feasible (except for the current limitation that the US government has acquired the only company that makes 90% H2O2 and isn't allowing anyone else to make it, last I heard). One of the X-Prize contestants was developing their rocket engine around this until they hit that snag, and was making good progress until they hit the limit of the commercially available 70% peroxide.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Alternate Chemical Rocket Fuel

Thought I read somewhere that some bright person figured out (c. 2000) how to make rocket fuel from old truck tires.

While it was very inefficient in terms of specific thrust per unit of mass it was very efficient in terms of specific thrust per unit of money.

Should be on line somewhere.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Agemegos

Default Re: Alternate Chemical Rocket Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheobviouspseudonym View Post
While it was very inefficient in terms of specific thrust per unit of mass it was very efficient in terms of specific thrust per unit of money.
In this context "specific" means "per unit mass".

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheobviouspseudonym View Post
Thought I read somewhere that some bright person figured out (c. 2000) how to make rocket fuel from old truck tires.
You can make rocket fuel from salami. Or rather, salami is rocket fuel.

Not really GREAT rocket fuel, but it's rocket fuel. Nobody specified "great" :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
You can make rocket fuel from salami. Or rather, salami is rocket fuel.

Not really GREAT rocket fuel, but it's rocket fuel. Nobody specified "great" :)
Being lactose intolerant, ice cream is rocket fuel to me. Not great to anyone within 2 city blocks of course.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
From the classic rocket equation ΔV = Isp × g × ln(Mp/Me)
For the record: that's the US version of the Rocket Equation, in which specific impulse is given in seconds owing to an error with units, and has to be multiplied by g₀ before it can be used. The classic rocket equation as derived by Tsiolkovsky and used by everyone who is not stuck in a unit system in which "pounds" might be mass or might be force, is:
Δv = v(exhaust) × ln(Mp/Me)
Specific impulse is equal to effective exhaust velocity. Impulse is in units of force-times-time; divide by mass and you get units of velocity, not units of time.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
DaltonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
For the record: that's the US version of the Rocket Equation, in which specific impulse is given in seconds owing to an error with units, and has to be multiplied by g₀ before it can be used. The classic rocket equation as derived by Tsiolkovsky and used by everyone who is not stuck in a unit system in which "pounds" might be mass or might be force, is:
Δv = v(exhaust) × ln(Mp/Me)
Specific impulse is equal to effective exhaust velocity. Impulse is in units of force-times-time; divide by mass and you get units of velocity, not units of time.
Actually, the equation is international. Isp is measured in seconds, so multiplying it by an acceleration (in any velocity units/second) gets a velocity.
v(exhaust) = Isp × g
Dalton “not really sure what the problem was” Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Actually, the equation is international. Isp is measured in seconds, so multiplying it by an acceleration (in any velocity units/second) gets a velocity.
v(exhaust) = Isp × g
Dalton “not really sure what the problem was” Spence
I suspect not, as it seems to not be SI-compliant.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
Agemegos

Quote:
Actually, the equation is international. Isp is measured in seconds
Isp (specific impulse) is not measured in seconds in the SI, only in US customary units.

I is impulse, measured in Newton-seconds, a.k.a. kg-m-s^-1. "Specific" means "per unit mass", so you divide by kg and get specific impulse (Newton-seconds per kilogram) in metres per second. Or in US Customary units, impulse is in pounds-force seconds (or poundal-seconds) and to get specific impulse you divide by pounds-mass (or slugs). You only get seconds if you divide pounds-force by pounds-mass and get a dimensionless number instead of an acceleration. You can't even do that in the Système International. Specific impulse works out identical to the effective exhaust speed.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 07-07-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Tags
spaceships, spaceships 7