Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
jamesfoxbr

Default Advantages and Disadvantages of SM

What all the advantages and disadvantages of SM different from 0? What is better, negative SM (small creatures) or positive SM (large creatures)?

My question is mainly in combat, but I'm curious in general situations too
jamesfoxbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: Advantages and Disadvantages of SM

I generally think that, unless you have weapon scaling rules to work with, lower SM is generally more useful.
Low SM:
- +1 to hit enemies bigger than you in melee, to a max of +4 (not RAW, but commonly accepted and probably intended)
- -1 to be hit by ranged attacks from anyone(RAW) or melee attacks from larger opponents(commonly accepted, probably intended)
- Reduced food requirements (stated in Space)
High SM:
- -1 to hit enemies smaller than you (again, RAW only states this for ranged attacks but it's quite common to accept it for all attacks)
- +1 to be hit by enemies
- Increased food requirements (Space again; not having that book, I don't know the details)
- Poisons still have full effect, but take it more slowly
- Increased reach for melee attacks
- More money needed for clothes and armor
- ST can be purchased more easily
- Bonus to Intimidation because, well, you're bigger and therefore more intimidating

With the weapon and armor scaling rules I know of, they almost even out (if the big characters focus on getting big weapons for doing lots of damage while largely ignoring super-expensive and heavy armor, which it is even compared to normal armor) while the small guys take advantage of the low weights for their equipment.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
- -1 to hit enemies smaller than you (again, RAW only states this for ranged attacks but it's quite common to accept it for all attacks)
Um? Shouldn't this be -1 to hit enemies in melee? Your SM has no effect on your ranged attacks. And melee attacks are modified by relative SM, so the same change applies whether the target is larger or smaller than you.

Also, you've left out the effects on grappling and biting.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

One thing that people seem to miss with this is the overall effectiveness of ST due to leverage. Imagine two characters both strong enough to lift a car. One is SM -6 and the other is SM 5. The SM 5 character can simply pick up the car like any object and lift it entirely above his head, chuck it, or move it like a crane. The SM-6 character can't really grip the car, and even though he can technically lift it, he's not going to be able to do much more than lift a corner of it a few inches off the ground by one wheel or flip it over.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
jamesfoxbr

I think positive SM is bad sometimes because this melee combat rule. I know is not RAW, but friends insist to use this rule and I see some monster with relative Skill Levels very bad because it..
Old 06-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfoxbr View Post
I think positive SM is bad sometimes because this melee combat rule. I know is not RAW, but friends insist to use this rule and I see some monster with relative Skill Levels very bad because it..
It is absolutely RAW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B19
Size Modifier rates a person or
object’s most significant dimension:
length, width, or height. It is a modifier
to rolls to hit you in combat
Additionally Powers has a box that adds an optional rule so that two ants can possibly hit each other.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Another benefit not easily enumerated is that many parts of a high-SM body may be beyond the reach of a low-SM melee fighter. If you find your human-sized self attacked by swordsmice, they probably can't even reach up to your leg arteries with their little swords.
Quote:
Not RAW is a stretch, I think. Check Powers.

But yes, it is hard to hit relatively tiny things.

Some countermeasures:

Grapple first. Big grapplers get a bonus to hit. Once your tiny foe is grappled, you can pin them, destroy them outright with certain wrestling techniques, or just splat them with a direct attack while they can't retreat and have penalized defenses.

Not RAW: Flyswatter Effect. Effective target size should be the greater of actual target size, and size of your striking surface.

Also Not RAW, or maybe just unclear: In principle huge creatures can stomp or body-slam one or more entire hexes. Logically, this would make it harder to defend. How is a bit of a puzzler.

It's also helpful to fix the unreasonably low effective weapon weights for high-ST unarmed attacks. That's been discussed in other threads.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
jamesfoxbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Grapple first. Big grapplers get a bonus to hit. Once your tiny foe is grappled, you can pin them, destroy them outright with certain wrestling techniques, or just splat them with a direct attack while they can't retreat and have penalized defenses.
What page is this rule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
It is absolutely RAW.
I think is not RAW because GURPS Power pag 76 have a optional rule about SM in melee

Last edited by jamesfoxbr; 06-22-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
trooper6

Quote:
What page is this rule?
B402.

But also please note Kromm's summation of the positives of positive SM.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/faq/FAQ4-3.html#SS3.4.2.23

Also, I'll just say this, in the arena games I've played in, the positive SM characters were often quite powerfully dangerous.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I think is not RAW because GURPS Power pag 76 have a optional rule about SM in melee
Firstly the optional rule is to use relative SMs. Using absolute SMs isn't "optional" on B19. Secondly is the rule in Powers not a Rule? Is it not Written? It's certainly not a House Rule.

Tags
combat, size modifier