Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #81
Godogma

Default Re: First GURPS Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
If it hasnt been suggested yet...buy darkness up to Invisibility and then blast them or use the 2 hex reach of staff and attack/step step/attack and the occasional full move to either obliterate them or crack their morale.
Sounds very useful... But I already have effective 27 skill in Magic! Due to 13 IQ + Magery 15... So its a tactic I might try, but thanks to Kuroshima for reminding me I'm quite likely to use spells from Epic Magic to handle the issue in question, though some of these tactics are quite nice.
Godogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #82
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godogma View Post
Every roll I've had when I supercharged a spell was an unlucky roll
Since most mages tend to have a fairly high IQ, properly played their combat tactics should not depend on luck, analysis of probabilty at best.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #83
Godogma

Quote:
Since most mages tend to have a fairly high IQ, properly played their combat tactics should not depend on luck, analysis of probabilty at best.
Analysis of probability on a supercharged spell is generally:

This should drop the big badguy. Especially since the supercharged spells were never under 12d-12. Which should have put out around 42 damage and though it wouldn't have dropped the dragon were it at full health it definitely would have made up for it in Stun effects.

My combat tactics had nothing to do with luck in any instance, more along the lines of "this should work based on what the spells in this particular book offer" or "this status effect will make sure this bogie is in bad shape and most likely he'll have a problem with his HT save at -?"
Old 01-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #84
Witchking

Quote:
As it doesn't seem to me that it can be done without adding additional spells to the spell list.
My current mage at 150 pts had over forty spells at character creation...and has added about 20 more with the subsequent 50 earned cp.

Without learning more than 4-5 spells I do not see a spells as skills solution to your problem.

It is the flexibility of the spells as skill mage that makes him a killer.
He may not be the combat death machine, but he doesnt have to sit in the corner for an hour drooling when there is a social occasion at the Duke's Palace and if the is a Murder at the Vatican he is likely to be the star of the show...
Old 01-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #85
Godogma

Quote:
My current mage at 150 pts had over forty spells at character creation...and has added about 20 more with the subsequent 50 earned cp.

Without learning more than 4-5 spells I do not see a spells as skills solution to your problem.

It is the flexibility of the spells as skill mage that makes him a killer.
He may not be the combat death machine, but he doesnt have to sit in the corner for an hour drooling when there is a social occasion at the Duke's Palace and if the is a Murder at the Vatican he is likely to be the star of the show...
Did you miss the Magic! skill part of the build? I have high twenties skill in any spell known to the game world and allowed by the GM, any spell with 3 casting cost or less I cast for free.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #86
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
To be fair, Godogma's mage blinding the dragon so it later failed to crit and annihilate 3/4s of the party had to be the 2nd key factor in the parties victory if it wasnt the most important factor
Hmm if he flashed the dragon successfully I would bet anything in addition to that would be gravy...I have had tons of fun playing a GURPS mage whose entire order is the DND sterotype of bang flash boom mages....

His favorite Line is "I am not a man of violence." and at roll up he had 1 spell that did dice of damage. Playing against type and using peoples expectations as a weapon against them are both fun...

However I had a fair bit of dramatic tension while using 8 of my 9 FP 11 of my 15 HP and all of my powerstones (and downing an alchemical stimulant) to cast and Hold 7 Dazes while we waltzed in and out of a castle...

Last edited by Witchking; 01-09-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Witchking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #87
Witchking

Quote:
Did you miss the Magic! skill part of the build? I have high twenties skill in any spell known to the game world and allowed by the GM, any spell with 3 casting cost or less I cast for free.
I am reading forward...however I will refrain from comment at this point, to keep from dancing with thread lock.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #88
jacobmuller

Quote:
I will refrain from comment at this point, to keep from dancing with thread lock.
Yes, 2 out of 3 of his responses could be read as somewhat "abrupt". I'm delighted by the GURPS forum level of forbearance. Multiple nationalities conversing in English needs it; English being prone to misinterpretation at the best of times.

re 300-400cp party winning v's dragon: thinking in terms of Dragon Age, I could not imagine the beginning level characters taking on that mid-game dragon. Surviving would be an achievement. Taking a while to kill it is impressive and IMX not likely to happen in AD&D.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #89
Godogma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
Yes, 2 out of 3 of his responses could be read as somewhat "abrupt". I'm delighted by the GURPS forum level of forbearance. Multiple nationalities conversing in English needs it; English being prone to misinterpretation at the best of times.

re 300-400cp party winning v's dragon: thinking in terms of Dragon Age, I could not imagine the beginning level characters taking on that mid-game dragon. Surviving would be an achievement. Taking a while to kill it is impressive and IMX not likely to happen in AD&D.
Brit the Paladin of Bahamut, Aleria her dragon mount, I have no idea how to describe the other player's character and my character the mage. A total of four characters vs a 600 hp dragon with 20 DR... Not sure about other character's CP totals, however my character's was around 400 at that point.

In AD&D all it takes is the proper character using the proper skill to utterly pooch screw the dragon encounter. My first level psi character in 2e resulted in the psionist character class getting banned from that table top game due to rolling Disintegrate as a power (in 2e you rolled your psionic powers) and getting a critical success and making the top of the ancient black dragon's skull disappear. Which included a large portion of its brain.

Whose comments are abrupt as a curiosity? I believe mine have been quite long most of the time.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #90
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post

I saw a dragon once in GURPS...I wouldnt say I fought it.

My Warrior Priest had up a Fire Resist spell (deity happened to be flame aspected in addition to Battle/War); Maxed out My Armor Spell to get My DR up to 9; Looked at my Blessed advantange and really REALLY hoped GOD liked me; As I sat intentionally as bait in the kill zone.

Plan worked, dragon blasted with fire once or twice, got angry when that didnt work and stooped; I survived the one hit (succeful shield block but...physics is physics...and the rest of the party blasted him.

That Charcter still has the remnants of that shield mounted over his fireplace. I retired him out at approx 300 pts after 7-8 years of roleplaying goodness

One of the top 5 sweat inducing sessions in 28+ years of gaming/roleplaying.

Tags
combat, dungeon fantasy, fantasy, first mage, magic! mages