Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #31
Icelander

Default Re: Targeting specific locations, difficulty and fairness issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
That doesn't even seem like a counterpoint. Stopping the fight because of pain rather than being totally unable to continue and not stopping a fight just because somebody's broken your arm aren't really in conflict.
My point was that most people stopped fighting because they were in pain or afraid. The more wounded they are, they more pain they'll be in and the more afraid they'll be.

Most people will stop fighting if you seriously injure them. This is due to psychological factors, not physiological. Having your arm or less cut off would rapidly result in physiological shock too, of course, but even before that, odds are that people would be psychologically out of it.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #32
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosignol View Post
That sounds pretty much like a textbook example of being stunned and not making the HT roll to recover for some time.
Except that it doesn't work that way in GURPS. The odds of having stun last for minutes is pretty much nil.

The odds of a HT 10 person failing more than three in a row (being out of it for five whole seconds) are less than 10%. The odds of failing nine in a row (ineffective for ten seconds) are less than 0.2%. Care to figure out what it is for a whole minute?

Not to mention that the HT 10 person will not really react much at all in 50% of cases. Just a -4 penalty to anything done this second and no penalty after that.

Reality testing this is unfortunately unethical, but does anyone really believe that this is 'realistic', rather than being massively forgiving to reduce realistic effects of violence on PCs?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #33
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Fount of glory? Some norseman you are. :)
Apparently a poor one. The first thing I noticed upon having an arm and shoulder crushed was how unrealistic it would be to assume that I could do anything effectively just a second later.

We could argue that I'm a wimp. But even the less injured people in the car crash were not functional or coherent for minutes, despite having what in GURPS terms would be less than HP of injury for all but one of them (who had an injury somewhere between HP and HPx2).

And according to doctors and paramedics I've spoken with, that's the near universal experience. Any exceptions are just that, notable exceptions. People who are horribly maimed and then manage to do something afterwards are extremely notable, not normal.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #34
rosignol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Except that it doesn't work that way in GURPS. The odds of having stun last for minutes is pretty much nil.

The odds of a HT 10 person failing more than three in a row (being out of it for five whole seconds) are less than 10%. The odds of failing nine in a row (ineffective for ten seconds) are less than 0.2%. Care to figure out what it is for a whole minute?
I really can't assess how much of that is on account of failing the HT roll, and how much is on account of the perception of immediate danger having passed and people generally being unsure of what to do next in an extraordinary situation- which is another valid reason to 'do nothing'.

Quote:
Reality testing this is unfortunately unethical, but does anyone really believe that this is 'realistic', rather than being massively forgiving to reduce realistic effects of violence on PCs?
I'm okay with that.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #35
Icelander

Quote:
I really can't assess how much of that is on account of failing the HT roll, and how much is on account of the perception of immediate danger having passed and people generally being unsure of what to do next in an extraordinary situation- which is another valid reason to 'do nothing'.
When it results in not doing something that would reduce the danger and help coming faster, it looks a lot like 'stun', doesn't it?

Quote:
I'm okay with that.
Which is absolutely valid, but that's you choosing to play a less realistic game, probably because reality can be depressing.

It's not really appropriate to use rules designed to be unrealistic when we are discussing how to emulate reality with the game rules. The choice to have a more realistic option available should be there, though.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #36
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
We could argue that I'm a wimp. But even the less injured people in the car crash were not functional or coherent for minutes, despite having what in GURPS terms would be less than HP of injury for all but one of them (who had an injury somewhere between HP and HPx2).

And according to doctors and paramedics I've spoken with, that's the near universal experience. Any exceptions are just that, notable exceptions. People who are horribly maimed and then manage to do something afterwards are extremely notable, not normal.
Do people who were in a car crash but suffer little to no injury avoid this period of incapacitation?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #37
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
When it results in not doing something that would reduce the danger and help coming faster, it looks a lot like 'stun', doesn't it?
This is where the untrained combatants rules and/or fright checks would seem to be relevant.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #38
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Do people who were in a car crash but suffer little to no injury avoid this period of incapacitation?
From what little I've seen, maybe. They are more likely to do so than others, certainly.

For example, the person in a car behind the one hit was able to call for help. Even a person in the other car who was injured, but less so, was able to act after a pause of several seconds, not minutes as with the more injured people.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #39
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This is where the untrained combatants rules and/or fright checks would seem to be relevant.
Indeed.

The incapacitating mechanism for most wounds is a Fright Check, or at least something that would use substantially the same rules.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #40
umbros

I would say the difference between someone getting their nose broke in a fistfight and giving up and a Marine continuing to fire a machinegun after suffering multiple gunshot wounds is training. Repetitive ground in training. In both situations the individuals logical mind has shut down and "instinctual" response has taken over. It's just that the Marine's response has been altered back in basic training by a Drill Sergeant screaming in his face. He does what he was programmed to do under stress. Scared? keep shooting. tired? keep shooting. Hurt? keep shooting. Until you hear a cease fire.
umbros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, hit locations