Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 09-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
ruinexplorer

Default Boom Dagger

OK, so this seems to be a Munchkinly problem: I have the Boom Dagger which always returns to the user when cursed, sold, or stolen, on the owner's next turn but will remain with the new owner if given away. I had the curse Generosity played on me which makes me give an item to every other player. I gave the Boom Dagger to the player who played the curse on me. So as to prevent me from being able to get the Boom Dagger back (lost due to curse), he Munchkinly gave it to another player as a gift (not part of a trade and not as charity - I was the lowest level player).

Does the lost item come back to me since it was originally lost due to a curse or does it stay with the new owner since it was freely given away?
ruinexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
RevBob

Default Re: Boom Dagger

Due to the text on Generosity, I would figure both ownership transfers (you to A, A to B) counted as gifts, and thus B would retain it. Without the second gift, A would still have kept it.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
ruinexplorer

See, I disagree. I grudgingly accepted that since he gave it away that it probably wouldn't come back. But since I was cursed, I still think it would have come back if he hadn't given it away. Or are you saying that since a Curse "lose one small item" has the word lose and Generosity says "give" that I am willfully giving it away?
ruinexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
RevBob

I am saying that, as far as I recall right now, Boomdagger says nothing about "willingly" - just "given." Generosity forces you to "give" your items - same word, so why wouldn't it be the same result? Yes, the giving happens to be the result of a curse - but it's still giving.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Puuka

I was reading this card and got thinking, what if it's stolen, then the thief trades it to another player?

According to the card, "If traded, looted, or given away, it becomes faithful to the new owner". So, would the later text supersede the earlier text of it being stolen and returning?
Puuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

If it has been stolen, its loyalty to its original owner hasn't changed. If the original owner trades it, then the loyalty will change. So, the trading aspect of the Boom Dagger text requires it to be traded by someone to whom it is already loyal. The original owner would still get his Boom Dagger back even if a Thief steals it then trades it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
Puuka

ok, just thinking like a munchkin and focusing on the text that would be most beneficial to the person that stole it or received it in such a trade. ;)
Puuka is offline   Reply With Quote